Chillout/Downbeat and Trip-Hop:
Apr 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Havent bought anything in these categories in a long time.

Have there been any really solid releases in Trip-Hop over the past ten years?

Heres what im already into (and i'm just mixing everything):

Air
Thievery Corp
Zero 7
Groove Armada
Tosca
K&D
Massive Attack
Portishead
Hooverphonic
Lamb
Esthero

EDIT-if you guys could include the specific sub-genres that correlate with your recommendation(s), that would be great too.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 30

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 30
Not sure if you've heard Hungry Lucy?  Best part is that they uploaded almost all of their releases (in lossless and compressed) to the Internet Archives.

Link to their album "Glo" - http://archive.org/details/HungryLucy_Glo
Link to their album "Before We Stand We Fall" - http://archive.org/details/HungryLucy_BeforeWeStand
Link to their album "To Kill A King" - http://archive.org/details/HungryLucy-ToKillAKing
Link to their album "Pulse of the Earth" - http://archive.org/details/Pulse_of_the_Earth

They're all available in FLAC.  I would suggest that if you like them, you go to their website and leave a donation though.  It's great value for 4 really good albums.

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 30
Burial and BT are 2 Downtempo favorites. 

DJ Shadow is always a good pick for Trip Hop.

EDIT: Downtempo stuff is some of my favorite music...

Tycho
Four Tet
William Orbit
Moby (Of course)
Bluetech

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
Not sure if you've heard Hungry Lucy?  Best part is that they uploaded almost all of their releases (in lossless and compressed) to the Internet Archives.

Link to their album "Glo" - http://archive.org/details/HungryLucy_Glo
Link to their album "Before We Stand We Fall" - http://archive.org/details/HungryLucy_BeforeWeStand
Link to their album "To Kill A King" - http://archive.org/details/HungryLucy-ToKillAKing
Link to their album "Pulse of the Earth" - http://archive.org/details/Pulse_of_the_Earth

They're all available in FLAC.  I would suggest that if you like them, you go to their website and leave a donation though.  It's great value for 4 really good albums.

Never heard of them; will look into it-thnx.

Quote:

Tycho
Four Tet
William Orbit
Moby (Of course)
Bluetech

Been meaning to buy some Four Tet for years now....good starting point?
Also, never been impressed with Moby. I find him more commercial; built for the masses. I know he's talented but I wouldnt put him in any of the above genres.
What genres are the other artists?

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 30
Here's the albums you should check out from them. 

Tycho - Dive
Four Tet - There Is Love In You
William Orbit (You can pick anything from him. He's a little hit or miss for me)
Bluetech - The Divine Invasion
Burial - Untrue
DJ Shadow - Entroducing...
BT - This Binary Universe (My favorite album of all time)

All of these are Chill / Downtempo except DJ Shadow who's Trip Hop (he does a few downtempo tunes, too.

This reminds me that I need to buy that Four Tet album on vinyl...

I can understand your stance on Moby, but he has some great tunes. Porcelain comes to mind.

EDIT: I'd suggest only listening to This Binary Universe in one long sitting. BT's album are really journeys rather than just song to song CDs. 

Quote:
Quote:

Tycho
Four Tet
William Orbit
Moby (Of course)
Bluetech

Been meaning to buy some Four Tet for years now....good starting point?
Also, never been impressed with Moby. I find him more commercial; built for the masses. I know he's talented but I wouldnt put him in any of the above genres.
What genres are the other artists?

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 30

Quote:

Tycho - Dive
William Orbit (You can pick anything from him. He's a little hit or miss for me)
Burial - Untrue

All of these are Chill / Downtempo except DJ Shadow who's Trip Hop (he does a few downtempo tunes, too.

I can understand your stance on Moby, but he has some great tunes. Porcelain comes to mind.

EDIT: I'd suggest only listening to This Binary Universe in one long sitting. BT's album are really journeys rather than just song to song CDs. 

Tycho's interesting, albeit a little minimal for me.
Ive got "endtroducing" which I like, but I think its grossly over-rated.
Bluetech appears to be more psydub (ala Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, etc.) but sounds great so will def look into it.
Burial is straight dubstep. A brilliant album, but dubstep nonetheless.

I dont own BT's Binary Universe but "all time favorite album" is a strong statement, so I will definitely be looking into it.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

Tycho - Dive
Burial - Untrue

Tycho's interesting, albeit a little minimal for me.
Ive got "endtroducing" which I like, but I think its grossly over-rated.
Bluetech appears to be more psydub (ala Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, etc.) but sounds great so will def look into it.
Burial is straight dubstep. A brilliant album, but dubstep nonetheless.

I dont own BT's Binary Universe but "all time favorite album" is a strong statement, so I will definitely be looking into it.

The rhythm of Burial is Dubstep, but he's very much Chill (and since Dubstep is downtempo I'd call it that as well). 

I'll have to disagree about Entroducing. It's aged a bit, but it's not something that needs to be looked at as just music. It's completely made of samples. To make an album like that is just mind blowing.

Bluetech is on the border line I'd say. Some stuff is Psy some is very much Downtempo. 

TBU is definitely the best suggestion in the bunch I think though it's about half Ambient half Downtempo (but doesn't feel minimal like Tycho, IMO). I don't think you'll be disappointed though. It's a true work of art. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
The rhythm of Burial is Dubstep, but he's very much Chill (and since Dubstep is downtempo I'd call it that as well). 

I'll have to disagree about Entroducing. It's aged a bit, but it's not something that needs to be looked at as just music. It's completely made of samples. To make an album like that is just mind blowing.

Bluetech is on the border line I'd say. Some stuff is Psy some is very much Downtempo. 

TBU is definitely the best suggestion in the bunch I think though it's about half Ambient half Downtempo (but doesn't feel minimal like Tycho, IMO). I don't think you'll be disappointed though. It's a true work of art. 

Just bought it.
I love me some good ambient so looking forward to it.

Hybrid's "Soundsystem" (Disc 1) as of late, has been in heavy rotation (although its nearly 5 yrs old now). Great album.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

Just bought it.
I love me some good ambient so looking forward to it.

Hybrid's "Soundsystem" (Disc 1) as of late, has been in heavy rotation (although its nearly 5 yrs old now). Great album.

If you want more good Ambient of course get some Aphex Twin. Always in rotation. 

Selected Ambient Works II just got it's first vinyl pressing...I need to pick that up to. 

Where'd buy TBU from? I need to repurchase the CD but it's hard to nab for a good price lately in a physical form.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
If you want more good Ambient of course get some Aphex Twin. Always in rotation. 

Selected Ambient Works II just got it's first vinyl pressing...I need to pick that up to. 

Where'd buy TBU from? I need to repurchase the CD but it's hard to nab for a good price lately in a physical form.

Couldnt find it anywhere so posted something about it on my Facebook page; a friend sold me a used copy for $5.
Listening to it right now; beautiful.
I can tell this is going to take a good number of full-album-listens before it clicks, but I know quality when i hear it.

Quote:
Wax Tailor
RJD2
Printempo
Parov Stelar

Just a few. Love this scene of music and always am finding more and more of it.

Thanks.

Can you tell me what sub-genres these are and your fav albums?

I think i'd put RJD2 in Instrumental Hip-Hop...

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 30
I have some great tracks for this type of music.

Gramatik - Street Bangerz Vol 2 (album)

Pogo - Meetings At The Meadow 

Pogo - Benny's Book Store

Ronald Jenkees - Super Fun 

Parov Stelar - The Mojo Radio Gang

Parov Stelar - Chambermaid Swing

Pogo - Dot's Vinyl Gone Bad

Nujabes - Prayer

Pogo - Kiss of Cure

Pogo - Go Out and Love Someone

Pogo - Doo D'Doo

Gonzales - Armellodie  (from the album "Solo Piano". The whole album is great. Very relaxing piano.)

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 30
Oh maaaaaan THIS is my kinda thread. A million thanks to the OP for mentioning Air, only one of the greatest trip-hop acts in music history.

Lemme see if I can think of a few that haven't already been mentioned...

Downbeat/Chillout:

Lemon Jelly
Aphex Twin (sometimes)
Aurastys (Ambient, actually. Will link to if asked. Not east to find)
Boards of Canada
Bonobo
The Caretaker (Ambient)
Faithless (like...half of the time)
The Field
Fluke
The Future Sound of London
James Blake (Post-Dubstep)
Nicolas Jaar
Oneohtrix Point Never
Squarepusher
Tim Hecker (Ambient)
Tycho
White Town

Trip-Hop:
The Avalanches
Mr. Scruff

AH CRAP. I gotta get going. Will post more Trip-Hop later tonight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back