Chilled out music recomendations
Feb 18, 2005 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fortyonethirty

New Head-Fier
I'm kinda taking a break from all my usual prog rock/metal bands,lately I've been listen to stuff like Opeth, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Children of Bodom, Blind Guardian, etc... and as much as I hate to say it, I really need a break. I almost all these bands have nice soft simple stuff as well as their prog side, but really I don't feel like anything in that style, if you know what I mean. I'm really looking for some song recommendations rather than albums. I have a few songs that I like to chill out to but they only go so far after looping them 3 or 4 times, so to give you an idea:

Manu Chao - Me gustas Tu
Elton John - Tiny Dancer, Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters
Rolling Stones - Paint it Black
Air - All i need
Elliot Smith - Waltz #2
The Ceasers - Jerk it out (i know i got it from the ipod ad)
Pulp Fiction Soundtrack

Anyway, so really dont worry what genre it is, anything goes, I don't mind, any left-wing really out there stuff. I don't really want any complicated guitar stuff either, I know there are some awsome flamenco, jazz guitarists out there that write beautiful soft and slow music, as a matter of fact I have many on my playlist, but I dont want anything like that.

Thanks

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 10
I know what you mean about taking a break from musical drama to recuperate with something more the quality of high calibre oatmeal.

I'll mention some albums as it could save a step or two in trying to track down individual songs:

- Rod Stewart "Every Picture Tells a Story" (to go with your Elton John)
- John Fahey - "Best of the Vanguard Years"
- "Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington"
- "Chet Baker Sings"
- Blossom Dearie - "Once Upon a Summertime"
- Terry Allen - "Lubbock on Everything" (Or why not "Best of Jerry Jeff Walker", Gram Parsons' "Grievous Angel" or even Emmylou Harris "Bluebird" & Nancy Griffith "Other Voices, Other Rooms" if you want some relaxed Country.)
- Talking Heads - "Little Creatures"
- Stevie Wonder - "Talking Book"

The Kinks' "Village Green Preservation Society" may be one of the believably optimistic Pop albums ever made. Very kind to the ears and benevolent to the tired heart. Recommended for mild depression.

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
The Trinity Session by the Cowboy Junkies.

I agree, The Trinity Session is great -- but it's all pretty melancholy.

Still, even Lou Reed says their cover of "Sweet Jane" is the best version [- not sure whether I'd agree though, even if it's Lou].

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Kings of Convenience are pretty mellow.

You could try some trip-hop. Morcheeba's "Big Calm" is good.

Cat Power's "You Are Free". She has a great voice.

Hmmmm, here are some others....

Broadcast
Lamb
Ollano
Sigur Ros

I find that Dido really relaxes me also.

I'm sure you have heard of Portishead and Hoverphonic before, right?

Just some suggestions.

biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 10
I second Sigu Ros. Just don't listen to it while you are driving.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 10
oren ambarchi

"For his third outing on Touch, Ambarchi's immense achievement is through his sense of timing, pace and definition - slowly building pieces up to warm, glowing echoes that use dronelike beginings and head into sumptuous soundscaped vistas. "Grapes from The Estate" is neither minimal nor abstract in the difficult sense, the added arrangement of piano, organ and even drums transforming his familiar self-restraint into an hour-long process of transformation and deep ambience. Incredible stuff from Touch once again - highly recommended. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back