Chili-Fi...
Sep 24, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #16 of 22
That's it. We need the Head-fi IPA and the Head-fi chili to both make an appearance at the Cali Nat. Head-fi meet! Can you imagine that dinner? Heaven!

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
That's it. We need the Head-fi IPA and the Head-fi chili to both make an appearance at the Cali Nat. Head-fi meet! Can you imagine that dinner? Heaven!

I'm up for that!!! I'l bring the tums
rs1smile.gif

Garrett

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #18 of 22
omg i have such a craving for chili right now, and the last chili servin' place near me that delivers closed at 10pm! argh!

well tomorrow i'm getting a big bowl, and watching the football games with an eye on Statracked for Fantasy stats. ah, bliss.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #19 of 22
Any one care to pass along recepies?

I just got a big crock-pot and am loving it!!

Made Kahlua pig the other day and home-made Pho' from scratch. Mmmm

Garrett

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by harkamus
The green chili looks more like a green curry. Enlighten me please, for I love curry.

Nothing to do with curry, but here's how I made the chile verde.

Cube 2 lbs of pork shoulder. Season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, brown well. Add a couple large cloves of roughly chopped garlic, one coarsely chopped onion, and continue browning until onion is translucent.

Add a 16 oz. jar of green chile sauce or tomatillo salsa and a 15 oz. can of chicken stock. Simmer for 2 hours, covered. Add more chicken stock if it gets too dry.

After 2 hours, add a couple cans of tomatillos, drained and chopped. Add chopped green chiles, such as poblano and anaheim, as desired. Simmer another 1-2 hours, covered.

To serve, garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream, if desired. (I just use the cilantro, myself.) Pour yourself a beer and enjoy. A malty Oktoberfest goes well with the heat from the chiles, but the Stone IPA also went very well last night.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #21 of 22
Once a Year, all through my High School and some of my college years, my family would make Chili...

Good Memories...

Start with sharpening all the necessary knives...

Find a farmer with Weaner pigs, and maybe goats! (yum)....for sale on the hoof, and then load the .22...

Shoot 'em, Stick 'em, gut 'em, dress 'em out, then haul them home.

Package what you will not need, grind the meat you will use roughly (or cube it, my favorite)...

Then comes the aromatic grinding and mixing and toasting of the chiles and cumin and other spices.

Then came the bubblin' pot, and the heavenly aromas filled the house for nearly all day, as the chili reduces from a huge pot to less than one third, then we package it in two people servings for freezing and divvy it up 'tween all the workers.

I'm of the "no beans in my chili persuasion" - Texas style - it ain't chili if'n its got beans - it is a stew. You ever read "A Bowl of Red"?

Your chilis look great! Dang! Now I want some...

I REALLY miss those days... guess I'll have to start it up again, now that I am retired...Great memories - thanks!!

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #22 of 22
Maybe I’m wrong but chili seems to have declined in popularity and sort of considered as a popular item from a generation ago or mid 20th century.

That said, the best chili I had was in Wyoming. Being in Wyoming and eating good chili was an enjoyable Wild West cowboy like feel. I enjoyed the vibe and experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back