Chili-Fi...
Sep 23, 2006 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
Any chili heads on Head-Fi? I made two batches of chili today, regular red chili, plus I also made chili verde for the first time today. The green chili came out pretty much as I hoped it would. I should have made more, I guess.

I really love to make chili, but my wife doesn't eat it, so I tend to only make it once a year, for our homebrew club's Oktoberfest/Chili cookoff. I've won several times, and I'm hoping to do well again this year.

Chili pic:

chili.jpg

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 22
you are a championship chili cook, and your wife doesn't eat chili? that's a shame! i bet it tastes great!

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 22
the bowl to the right looks like chili... the bowl to the left looks like my toilet after eating many bowls of chili

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 22
Oh I love spicy food! I love chillis too and the sauces you made look extremely appetising! I wish I had some naan bread and some of your chilli right this moment.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
the bowl to the right looks like chili... the bowl to the left looks like my toilet after eating many bowls of chili

Umm, too much information?
blink.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
Umm, too much information?
blink.gif

frown.gif
Kinda true though, but I'm still hungry as a...[fill in your favourite animal]
plainface.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 22
dang the chili on the right looks great.. Hook a brother up with a bowl!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Is it your own special recipe or one thats been passed down the family line??

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622
dang the chili on the right looks great.. Hook a brother up with a bowl!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Is it your own special recipe or one thats been passed down the family line??

My own recipe. I grind dried chiles instead of using commercial chili powder. Anchos and pasillas for flavor and color, and chipotles for heat and a bit of smoke flavor, plus various fresh chiles for more flavor and heat. I used to use ground habenero, but it adds too much heat, and I can't use enough fresh chiles to get the flavor I want.

I love the ritual of making chili, toasting the cumin seed, grinding the chile peppers, tasting and adjusting, etc. I wish I could make it more often, but unless I'm making it for a crowd, it's not really worth the time, since my wife doesn't like chili. It does freeze well, though.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
I wish I could make it more often, but unless I'm making it for a crowd, it's not really worth the time, since my wife doesn't like chili. It does freeze well, though.

Hey, send me a few bowls. I'm getting hunrgy just looking at the pics.
biggrin.gif

I've actually never had good chili before, usually the store bought stuff.
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 22
Nothing quite like the spicy smokey taste of some chipotle chili with lots of diced habaneros
smily_headphones1.gif
I love chili, but tend to use chicken or just leave out the meat alltogether. I'll snap a pic next time I make a batch
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back