Childproof portable headphones?
Jun 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

renugaid

100+ Head-Fier
Ok the reason I am asking this to find a "childproof" pair of cans is for my gf. Shes not a child really =P but just has a kind of destructive touch when it comes to electronics. I had a pair of PX100s that I lent to her and ended up letting her have as she seemed to love them. Within a couple of weeks the left side had stopped working. Another pair of cheaper headphones ended up with the cable totally yanked away from the driver.

So I'm thinking of either purchasing a new PX100 for her or a portapro. I don't know if the portapro would be sturdier than the senn but the px100 fell at her hands and I'd want to give the portapro a chance to see how it fares.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

thanks,

renugaid

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicmaji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear the protapro are durable....Try getting her some earbuds maybe....

Any particular earbuds that you could recommend? Though she likes the headbands that come with fuller sized 'phones.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 32
ksc75 might be a good option. Not much to get broken since there is no headband, and if they do break, its only 15 bucks for new ones

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 32
hmmm these seem like a good option. How do these fair against the portapro and px100 sq wise?

@-=Germania=-: Those seem sturdy but it'd be devastating to my wallet to replace if she did manage to break them.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 32
The Sennheiser PMX 70 Sport would be my first recommendation. As I said in an exercise headphone thread recently, I rinse the sweat off mine under running water (do not submerge it). This family of headphones from Sennheiser also has a very flexible housing around the plug, which I found helps minimize the pressure placed on the headphone jack of whatever its plugged into.

I've found the PMX 70 Sport to be very durable. I don't really baby my portable gear, and the PMX 70 Sport probably gets more abuse than most of my portable pieces, just because I know it can take it.

To be clear, the PMX 70 Sport is the Sport model with the behind-the-head headband, and not to be mistaken for the MX 70 Sport, which I don't really recommend. The MX 70 Sport (standard earbud) is rather large for a standard earbud, and most people I've let try it have a hard time getting it to stay in. However, like the PMX 70 Sport, the MX 75 Sport earbud is also very nice, as it uses Sennheiser's Twist-to-Fit holding system.

I like how the PMX 70 Sport and MX 75 Sport sound, too, which, of course, is also of paramount importance 'round these parts.

b.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the portapro... Lifetime warranty anyone?

X2, $6.00 will get a new pair everytime she breaks it, just make her pay for them...!!!!!
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser PMX 70 Sport would be my first recommendation. As I said in an exercise headphone thread recently, I rinse the sweat off mine under running water (do not submerge it). This family of headphones from Sennheiser also has a very flexible housing around the plug, which I found helps minimize the pressure placed on the headphone jack of whatever its plugged into.

I've found the PMX 70 Sport to be very durable. I don't really baby my portable gear, and the PMX 70 Sport probably gets more abuse than most of my portable pieces, just because I know it can take it.

To be clear, the PMX 70 Sport is the Sport model with the behind-the-head headband, and not to be mistaken for the MX 70 Sport, which I don't really recommend. The MX 70 Sport (standard earbud) is rather large for a standard earbud, and most people I've let try it have a hard time getting it to stay in. However, like the PMX 70 Sport, the MX 75 Sport earbud is also very nice, as it uses Sennheiser's Twist-to-Fit holding system.

I like how the PMX 70 Sport and MX 75 Sport sound, too, which, of course, is also of paramount importance 'round these parts.

b.gif

yeh I like the look of these.

@berniebennybernard: I don't really mind when she breaks them as long as their hers. She goes through cheap earbuds a lot faster than she did with the PX100s. Just searching for a pair that she will be able to use without the need to replace too often, if not at all.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 32
If i was u ..i would get her these ...and most girls just love it:
ma662_alt.jpg

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If i was u ..i would get her these ...and most girls just love it:
ma662_alt.jpg

LOL I wouldn't be asking here if it was that easy.

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 32
Yeah.. buds (Yuin comes to mind) are probably the most difficult to 'break' (bar cable destruction).

I've never thought the PX-series were particularly durable.

The AKG K26p (K414p now I think) were reasonably durable, mainly because of the metal band which is in my experience the most breakable part when I use cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back