Childhood trauma movies!
Jul 26, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I've always had a fear of werewolves ever since I was a wee lad. My #1 vote goes to American Werewolf in London... werewolves on all fours were always the scariest IMO and being ripped apart and eaten alive would really really suck. The werewolf on that still has not been challenged for scariest looking werewolf in a movie IMO.

wolf.jpg

My #2 goes to The Creepshow and that damn monster in the crate! freakin hated that thing and it gave me nightmares too! As soon as I saw it bite a huge chunk out of that dudes neck I was freaked.

man i wish i still had my creepshow comic book. did you know the movie was directed by george "dawn of the dead" romero? really good stuff. "where's my cake, bedilia!?"

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #32 of 53
There are 3 movies from my childhood that got to me pretty good, they are as follows:

Grizzly
The Exorcist
The Shining

At around age 11 I decided that I was done letting movies like that scare me, so I set out on a mission to overcome my fear by renting the absolutely most disturbing, disgusting, gory, twisted and scary movies I could find at my local video store. I can say with confidence that I am now completely desensitised to such movies.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
man i wish i still had my creepshow comic book. did you know the movie was directed by george "dawn of the dead" romero? really good stuff. "where's my cake, bedilia!?"

It's a classic now as is American Werewolf in London IMO.

Here's a couple shots from the monster in the crate...

crate.jpg

bite.jpg

Some more good stuff from Creepshow here.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #34 of 53
I'm not exactly sure at what age I first viewed it, but "Jaws" freaked me out, especially when my family and I would go to the beach and go swimming. Obviously, I was the one getting more sunburned than wet
280smile.gif
There was a television show called "Tales from the Darkside" that had a really frightening introduction.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #35 of 53
Star Trek: First Contact gave me problems when I was in fourth grade. Those darn Borg. I stopped watching TNG after that and stuck with the old-school stuff. I watched that movie on the same night that I got the Barenaked Ladies' album Stunt. Great CD.
biggrin.gif

I watched it again a few years later and had no problem. Maybe it's because First Contact was the first "scary" movie I ever saw. Or maybe I'm just a wuss.

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
It's a classic now as is American Werewolf in London IMO.

Here's a couple shots from the monster in the crate...

crate.jpg

bite.jpg

Some more good stuff from Creepshow here.

thanks. if you get a chance read the original sk story "the crate". it's a real mind blower, especially the part when the janitor opens the crate.

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #38 of 53
The first and worst for me was actually a TV episode of the Shirley Temple Show. It was the story of Rapunzel, where a witch comes to take away the kid and lock her in a tower. I saw it while staying at an aunt's farm ( which was dank, dark, and scary enough on it's own, since i was used to living in the city ) and remember staying up all night in bed, afraid the witch was going to appear and take me away.

Next wasn't as traumatic, but I saw The Blob at the Drive-in when I was about 4 years old and it scared me a bit.

I was 19 or 20 when the Exorcist first came out and I saw it on the second day it showed, totally not knowing what to expect. People were literally barfing in the isles and in the theatre's washroom. That night I'm embarrassed to admit I was a little jittery while trying to get to sleep. My baby sister had a bad cold and I could hear her wheezing in her bedroom, which didn't help things at all.

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #39 of 53
Jurassic Park when I was 5 or 6 (I thought I had a raptor in my closet)
Jaws about the same time, though it didn't affect me nearly as much as Jurassic Park

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #40 of 53
For me it was Psycho. I saw this at a friends house when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. He lived in a very creepy, dark house and I was already uncomfortable. That was a long night.

But the creepiest movie I've seen is that movie about the robots... I can't remember anything about it except that the makeup was incredibly strange. And they ran out of batteries. That's how they died. It might have been a movie about a family of robots who are running out of batteries?

Anybody remember that?

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #41 of 53
Poltergeist: The tree part because it always looked like the trees were coming alive outside

Puppet Master: the part where the dude with the drill on his head drilled into the guy's neck

The Grudge: Yea, I was 15 (maybe 16?) when I saw this, but it still scared the crap out of me (still does lol)

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #42 of 53
Okay, this is probably nothing compared to some of you warpos, but the only movie that gave me nightmares was The Brave Little Toaster. If you saw it, it was the part at the end of the movie with the magnet and the crushing machine. I was like 4 or 5, and I thought the magnet was creepy and scary. Silly, I know, but I was sheltered compared to some of you apparently
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
"The Fly" remake. I still hate that stupid actor, what's his name - see? mental block! the nerd guy from independence day and jurassic park, what's his face. what gives with him collecting the body parts that dropped off him - including his penis?

Anyhow, poor Geena Davis. She was hot. She didn't deserve to be a larval momma.

jeff goldblum

... i was pretty freaked out by the movie misery... When she bust out the sledge hammer and went to town on the guy i ran out of the room and got sick. I was also pretty scared by the omen. That movie killer clowns too... i dunno why, that freaked me out.

off-topic: anyone remember swamp thing? that movie was funny

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I also saw Jaws in the theatre when it first came out. I lived on a large, fresh-water lake, and still had trouble swimming in deep water (especially at night!!) after seeing that movie. It was like I'd start hearing that music in my head....
eek.gif

man i was about 5 and i thought Jaws would come up through the carpet and get me in my room, im serious.

also Nightmare on Elm Street freaked me out, Freddy had those claws and could get me in my dreams.

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #45 of 53
Heh, I think I posted something like this before in a similar thread.

My dad loved to watch movies. He wanted so much for me to enjoy it as well. So he picked the following for me to watch:

Star Wars : RoTJ.
Jabba and his gang. I was 3.

Aliens.
I was 6 or so. Um. Nice choice.

Yep, I couldn't watch movies for years.
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back