Chicago/Milwaukee July 11 2009 Meet Impressions
Jul 13, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #61 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, not at all. I once used a really old computer that I had just as much benefit from as the new computer I bought after ditching the old. Clearly, if you are willing to spent that much money on a Stax you must have at least a decent taste. Also, clearly, a more expensive hp may not sound so great to every person's taste. Take xnothingpoetic, who felt Grado's HP1000 (through the gear he listened) was awfully forward. That said, if you think you can convince me the idea that a $99 can has better technical specifications, than say, a $400 can, then you're pitching to the wrong guy who ain't gonna buy it. There's matching sound signature according to taste, and there's raw technical specs...my point is, I want both.

good luck on your search. read all reviews, and listen as much as you can. some things look great on paper, but thats it. may the force be with you.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #62 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good luck on your search. read all reviews, and listen as much as you can. some things look great on paper, but thats it. may the force be with you.

Thanks. In fact, I have been reading tons. As for listening, I will find more opportunities to do that, if not just for the fun of it. Also, IMHO, if a company puts flattering details on paper, just to promote an expensive product that performs no better technically than a competing product that is 1/3 the price, that company will not and should not last long.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #63 of 140
I have so much to say, but no time to say it. It's past midnight, I've GOT to go to sleep. I plan to post way more through this week. But I can't go to bed without at least saying it was great to see old friends, and great to meet some new ones.

And THANKS so much, Andy. You did a great job - it was a great meet, with lots of great equipment and a fabulous turnout. I think I was one of the few to have the good fortune of meeting your daughter before she left. And yes, she was way cool, even if she wrote that post herself, it's true. And you better watch out, because she was so easy on the eyes, my first thought was that she was one of the company's sales reps. Keep the baseball bat nearby and keep those young men away! Your wife was very cool, too; I can't believe how much she helps and tolerates. My wife usually laughs at me for spending a whole day at one of these things.

Much more to post, sorry I've been so negligent here!

One last quick note to tigon. I'm a relative newb, this is only my second meet. You've got to chill and just walk up to anyone and just start talking and asking questions. I'm a complete introvert, but at my first meet at ChiUnifi 2008, everyone was so dang friendly and helpful, that by the end, I was listening to everyone's stuff and asking questions left and right. I actually noticed you at the meet, and looked right at you a few times, but you kind of looked away and walked off looking kind of nervous. Honestly, I was worried you were casing the joint and didn't even belong to head-fi. I hope you can attend another event, and next time just listen to everything and talk to whoever is in front of you. Every listen is a learning experience; I listen to stuff I don't want to buy just out of curiosity. When else would you have a chance to listen to half this stuff?

Good night everyone ... more later when I can ...

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #64 of 140
Goodnight.

I know, I know. Man, what you guys don't realize is how much I wanted to listen to those gears, even if the room's chatter level was less than ideal. The things is, even if I did have the biggest blast of the entire group of 30+ people, if at the end of the day I realize that some thug had taken off with my bike, I would end up feeling the absolute worst! So, please, understand. After the grueling bike ride, and realizing that I left that key at home, it's unfair to expect me to have a super outgoing attitude... with my body sore and that bike's security at the back of my mind. In my normal state, I would have been much calmer and more present.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #66 of 140
I dont know how I could have missed this. I just never caught wind of this thing going on. Does this mean the one that was scheduled for October/November isnt happening anymore? I dont think there was any way that I was going to make it out on a Saturday anyways. Oh well, Ill try to make it to the next one in the midwest.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #67 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice double-win at the raffle!

I don't quite know how I managed that. (though to be clear to the peanut gallery, I let the Amp3 go to someone else!)

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #68 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goodnight.

I know, I know. Man, what you guys don't realize is how much I wanted to listen to those gears, even if the room's chatter level was less than ideal. The things is, even if I did have the biggest blast of the entire group of 30+ people, if at the end of the day I realize that some thug had taken off with my bike, I would end up feeling the absolute worst! So, please, understand. After the grueling bike ride, and realizing that I left that key at home, it's unfair to expect me to have a super outgoing attitude... with my body sore and that bike's security at the back of my mind. In my normal state, I would have been much calmer and more present.

That's cool. I didn't know at the time. I hope you can make another event; I look forward to having a chance to talk to you!
o2smile.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #69 of 140
Thank you. I would love to make up for that day by attending another meet. By then, I will probably have something to bring (you guessed it, IEMs). Apologies to germ-o-phobe-ish brothers and sisters (btw, Germania was the only head-fi gal member present
confused.gif
).

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #71 of 140
It's a hobby, and not very many ladies that I know have unique hobbies.

lol, and echoing jvlgato's words, I wish that your daughter could've stuck around.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #72 of 140
It was a cool meet. I rode up with two relatively new headfiers and they were fun talking to, especially on the way back home. It is funny how relatively quiet they were going there, but coming back, they were all asking questions and giving their input on gear and we were all just having a blast talking about the gear on the way home and about their first meet experience. I realized that meets truly are bonding experience and I was happy to go with those guys since it was their 1st meet (this is tim359 and his friend).

It was nice to see some of my old buddies again. Steve (audio addict) is awesome since he brought beer nuts and hd800 cookies which I think I had 3. Jason (strohmie) was really cool to hang with and talk to as always. It was nice to see Rob and how his gear has kind of evolved from the last time I saw him, and GLF seems to have upgraded his source to the opus, but his bottlehead was fantastic sounding like the last time I remember. GLF, his friend and myself were doing some back and forth between the HF2, SR225, and HD650 and I think they came away impressed with the HF2. Bowls seemed to be the definitive choice. John (jvlgato) and I were able to have a very nice conversation about the HP1000's and John seemed to show some affection towards them, and I am never shy about sharing what I know about the Joe Grados. Last but not least it was great to see Ray again and especially Charles his son, if anything Ray made sure we were fed by buying pizza which always makes me happy.

Gear? I actually didn't listen to much. I spent a good chunk of time with a DAC/amp from dsavitsk that I brought ove, really fine sounding piece of kit that I just picked up from him the other day. The orpheus off of Ray's A-10 sounded nice. The hd800 was weird - I first heard it on Steve's stealth and thought it was great. On other amps like the B-52 and the Bottlehead I did start noticing a bit of stridency and glare in the highs that became slightly fatiguing to my ears. Even in meet conditions I found myself consistently lowering the volume as an element of brightness became exaceberated when the volume was increased, ah well...

Thanks Andy for the meet. However, I do think your first reply to tigon ridge was a bit harsh and seemed very defensive. Yes throwing a meet is hard work, but do not take it personal that someone did not find the meet enjoyable for reasons outside of your control. He is entitled to his opinion and he does have a legitimate base to his argument. It appears that he rode his bike many miles to the meet, and was so worried about having his bike stolen that he could never just listen to gear and walk about like the rest of us. Also, I was speaking with the Koss rep Andy and even he mentioned that the meet seemed to focus on full size setups and full size cans. I personally did not see any shures, ultimate ears, westones, or other IEM universals, which IME is the 1st meet where I haven't seen that. I wish I would have brought my shure se530's and let tigon ridge listen to them while he was watching his bike, maybe next time. The important part Andy is that you seemed to have fun, many people were appreciative of your efforts, and not to take it so personal if someone has constructive feedback about their personal meet experience. Kudos to Koss for being there as well, specifically Adam and Mandy.

Tigon ridge - next time, maybe post in the meet thread asking if anyone is bringing "hi end" IEM's or if anyone has any to bring them. Sometimes at meets people don't bring IEM's because of lack of interest and or issue with tips. I would have loved to have brought my shure se530's but deemed it not necessary to bring them, and I could have easily gotten some other shures, westones, or ultimate ears for people to check out if I had read there was interest. Also, a big part of meets is the socializing factor. I did not see you really get out of your corner or speak to anyone really, which is unfortunate. Andy's wife was by the window the whole entire time, and all you had to do was go up to her and say "Hi! I am tigon ridge, fellow headfier - would you be willing to keep an eye on my bike please"? I am sure she would have obliged. If you had talked to Andy maybe he would have let you bring it in somewhere, you have to ask. Heck even I would have taken 30 minutes or so to look after your bike if it meant having a more fun meet experience. Considering how many posts you have in this thread and how much your putting in posts in this thread, if you did the same thing at the meet but with real socializing and real adults a lot of your issues would have been appeased. Just my 2 cents, because I do hope you will continue to go to meets, and actively try to have a better meet experience.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #73 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One last quick note to tigon. I'm a relative newb, this is only my second meet. You've got to chill and just walk up to anyone and just start talking and asking questions. I'm a complete introvert, but at my first meet at ChiUnifi 2008, everyone was so dang friendly and helpful, that by the end, I was listening to everyone's stuff and asking questions left and right. I actually noticed you at the meet, and looked right at you a few times, but you kind of looked away and walked off looking kind of nervous.

Just to add to John's comments, that talking with John and letting him listen to my HP1000's and Beely's HF2's was probably my personal highlight of the meet for me. I am glad that you came and thank you for your offering a ride to me, I appreciate it. I was glad that you enjoyed the headphones and hope you found our Joe grado conversation fun
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #74 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add to John's comments, that talking with John and letting him listen to my HP1000's and Beely's HF2's was probably my personal highlight of the meet for me. I am glad that you came and thank you for your offering a ride to me, I appreciate it. I was glad that you enjoyed the headphones and hope you found our Joe grado conversation fun
tongue.gif

John is both a great guy and a Grado Guy
biggrin.gif

And of course, a fellow NU alum!

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #75 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John is both a great guy and a Grado Guy
biggrin.gif

And of course, a fellow NU alum!

Oooh Rob before I forget...your son actually won something from the last raffle, a pair of Koss KDX Iem's I believe. They look nice! We will have to find some way for you to get them
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back