Chicago/Milwaukee July 11 2009 Meet Impressions
Jul 12, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #46 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That drive must have sucked- sleep well last night?

Eh, nothing I've never done before. Got six or so hours last night so that was enough, and then the coffee, sugar cookie, and cough syrup disguised as an energy drink did the rest of the job.
icon10.gif

Good meeting you man, make sure you come around more often.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #47 of 140
One thing that totally sucked at the meet (well, not the meet itself, but definitely related to my experience at the meet) and is kind of silly - I forgot to bring the key to my bike lock, so I had to leave the bike in front of the building, and try to keep my eye on it. It was bugging the hell out of me, cause I wanted to enjoy the meet but if I took my attention off that bike for too long, it could have become loot material. That's one big reason why I couldn't be totally present. At the back of the room, I was enjoying the an hd600 rig, then after a few minute I remembered that I had to turn around to check the bike, and that totally ruined the entire experience. I promise this will never happen again. Ugh!

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #48 of 140
Thanks everyone who organized the meet. It was my first time at one of these and I think it was a great success. Wished I could have socialized more, but my son Miller was hungry and anxious to go as 4 year olds will be. Looking forward to another one in the future.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #49 of 140
Thanks to Andy & everyone that helped organized this meet. I'm pretty new to head-fi & it was awesome to see & hear all the equipment, as well as meeting everyone.

Certainly glad we didn't turn around after getting a flat on the way up
wink.gif

Thanks again!

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #50 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone who organized the meet. It was my first time at one of these and I think it was a great success. Wished I could have socialized more, but my son Miller was hungry and anxious to go as 4 year olds will be. Looking forward to another one in the future.

Yeah, I noticed the expressions on his face. He didn't seem thrilled about being surrounded by strangers in an unfamiliar place. I guess I must have been the same when I was 4. You had your son, and I had my missing key. I definitely would've been much more involved if I had that key with me. I just found it in the pocket of another pair of pants - the ones I decided to switch out at the last second!!

My butt, thighs, and shoulders were so sore by the time I got to the meet. Forget headphone equipment, the next items I need to invest in is a good saddle and a larger fixed gear (those hills were killing me!!).

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #51 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, that was a long drive.

Great to finally get back to one of these things! I'll post a bigger response when I get some time, but generally thanks to the organizers for a great venue, those vendors who donated their items to the meet, and Ray for letting me crash at his place afterwards and his usual warm hospitality.

Nice double-win at the raffle!

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #52 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Mike, nice seeing you again.

Likewise
beerchug.gif

Quote:

What did you think of the Dream Theater stuff I played for ya?

I loved it! I added their new album to my amazon shopping cart.
Their works always make me forget about time with the long and powerful instrumentals.

Quote:

And curious, which of the headphones did you find underwhelming? Truly interested in this.

Underwhelming is a good term to use. It wasn't that what I heard was bad, but just not as good as I expected.

The short list:
The new Grado's HP1000's (or whatever. . . can't remember the model #)
HE90's
HD800's
Those new Ultrasones

First off was the new Grados. They had amazing jaw dropping bass that I have never heard from a Grado before. Unfortunately that added boost in bass carried over in the spectrum over into the midrange. Grados are well known for an upfront midrange, but this was unreal! The vocals were so prominent and close that just wanted to tell the guy singing to back off a little! I kept switching back and forth between the 225's and I felt that although the 225's weren't technically as good, I'd prefer them just because the vocals aren't so annoyingly close. At least this is how I precieved it. --However with that said, I really did have a lot of fun with these cans, but eventually the vocals struck a nerve.

The HE90's I just had way too high of an expectation for. I set the bar too high, and being able to quickly AB test with the Sony's also didn't help because R10's always put a huge smile on my face.

The HD800's just wern't my cup of tea. They sound good but nothing really jumped out. Most phones have strong points in where the excel. Bass, midrange, treble, soundstage. The 800's did good in all areas, but didn't really excel in any. It was just a little bland and unexciting to me.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #53 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that totally sucked at the meet (well, not the meet itself, but definitely related to my experience at the meet) and is kind of silly - I forgot to bring the key to my bike lock, so I had to leave the bike in front of the building, and try to keep my eye on it. It was bugging the hell out of me, cause I wanted to enjoy the meet but if I took my attention off that bike for too long, it could have become loot material. That's one big reason why I couldn't be totally present. At the back of the room, I was enjoying the an hd600 rig, then after a few minute I remembered that I had to turn around to check the bike, and that totally ruined the entire experience. I promise this will never happen again. Ugh!

I'm sorry to hear that man. I remember feeling bad because whenever I saw you, you were over by the window watching out for your bike -- making it impossible for you to relax and listen to some gear. I hope you bring a key for your next meet!

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #54 of 140
Quote:

Why didn't ya ask to park it inside? There was room on the wall in front of the Koss Station. It's alright- sorry to hear about that, didn't know you forgot your key!

Spencer D.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #55 of 140
Thanks for the commets, Mke. I also am underwhelmed by the HD800 - not because they aren't good, but because I didn't feel they were as good as they should be.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #56 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why didn't ya ask to park it inside? There was room on the wall in front of the Koss Station. It's alright- sorry to hear about that, didn't know you forgot your key!

Spencer D.

Thanks. I thought about that, but I got nervous when I remembered an experience: I was bringing an electric scooter into a store a few years ago and security man asked me to keep it outside. Ever since, I had this idea that scooters and the like are not allowed inside public buildings.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #57 of 140
Dude. I had my head direct re2 and re0 for everyone to hear. I believe at this time that the re0 is the top iem. It beat out the re3 for me because of the new fit design. Just couldn't get it to fit right. Just my opinion. Too bad Shure chose not to come. I would have enjoyed that challenger.

Quote:

I'm sure the others had a good time there. I didn't have such an experience, because I was expecting more top-notch IEMs there. I only saw the hifiman re3... the sad thing was, I couldn't find a dac or dac+amp to use with it. I don't know much about the quality of a macbook hf out, but it was underwhelming. I didn't want to bother with the full-size open cans available, because I simply have no interest in open full-size headphones, though I know they sound excellent. I live in a noisy environment, so my main interest is in IEMs. Besides, these days IEMs are beginning to challenge the stereotype that they just don't sound as good as non-portable rigs. I listened to someone's hd600 rig, but the "listening room" was so noisy with people chatting that I couldn't fully enjoy it.

Now that I thought of it, I probably should've hooked up the P3 heron to one of the huge DACs available there, to see what the re3 is really capable of. I'm not sure if their impedance would've matched, however...not that I understand the consequence of them not matching anyways.

Again, I'm sure the others had a lot of fun.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #58 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude. I had my head direct re2 and re0 for everyone to hear. I believe at this time that the re0 is the top iem. It beat out the re3 for me because of the new fit design. Just couldn't get it to fit right. Just my opinion. Too bad Shure chose not to come. I would have enjoyed that challenger.

Just try to ignore that post; it seems to be the object of a few people's misunderstandings. That aside, I think the statement that the $99 re0's are the current top iem may be a tiny bit exaggerated. The least expensive iem's I've read about that could be compared to highest tier iem's are the PFE's, but only provided you use a certain filter and amp (again, that's only what I've read from a few PFE owners). Thank you for bringing those iem's and I'm sorry that I overlooked them (the full-size headphones and complementary gear were so much more plentiful and prominent it was hard to see the little guys). Those Koss iem's seemed ok, but they haven't really garnered much attention on head-fi, and I am pretty much only interested in top-tier universal fit iem's and customs... not that I don't appreciate Koss for their contribution to the meet.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #59 of 140
Quote:

Just try to ignore that post; it seems to be the object of a few people's misunderstandings. That aside, I think the statement that the $99 re0's are the current top iem may be a tiny bit exaggerated. The least expensive iem's I've read about that could be compared to highest tier iem's are the PFE's, but only provided you use a certain filter and amp (again, that's only what I've read from a few PFE owners). Thank you for bringing those iem's and I'm sorry that I overlooked them (the full-size headphones and complementary gear were so much more plentiful prominent it was hard to see the little guys). Those Koss iem's seemed ok, but they haven't really garnered much attention on head-fi, and I am pretty much only interested in top-tier universal fit iem's and customs... not that I don't appreciate Koss for their contribution to the meet.

It seems that you link quality to price, that is very unfortunate. But I'm glad you downplayed my opinion because of it. I clearly must have terrible taste and hearing. I guess that's why I brought my stax rig.

I stand by my opinion, even if unappreciated.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #60 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that you link quality to price, that is very unfortunate.

Nope, not at all. I once used a really old computer that I had just as much benefit from as the new computer I bought after ditching the old. Clearly, if you are willing to spent that much money on a Stax you must have at least a decent taste. Also, clearly, a more expensive hp may not sound so great to every person's taste. Take xnothingpoetic, who felt Grado's HP1000 (through the gear he listened) was awfully forward. That said, if you think you can convince me the idea that a $99 can has better technical specifications, than say, a $400 can, then you're pitching to the wrong guy who ain't gonna buy it. There's matching sound signature according to taste, and there's raw technical specs...my point is, I want both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back