Chicago/Milwaukee July 11 2009 Meet Impressions
Jul 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 140
If I might share a word or two with tigon_ridge and andyk:

Let's not spoil what ought to be a good thread by engaging in a lot of back and forth about this....K??

My next words for for tigon_ridge only:

I'm quoting your entire original post, as it's where this exchange got started:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure the others had a good time there. I didn't have such an experience, because I was expecting more top-notch IEMs there. I only saw the hifiman re3... the sad thing was, I couldn't find a dac or dac+amp to use with it. I don't know much about the quality of a macbook hf out, but it was underwhelming. I didn't want to bother with the full-size open cans available, because I simply have no interest in open full-size headphones, though I know they sound excellent. I live in a noisy environment, so my main interest is in IEMs. Besides, these days IEMs are beginning to challenge the stereotype that they just don't sound as good as non-portable rigs. I listened to someone's hd600 rig, but the "listening room" was so noisy with people chatting that I couldn't fully enjoy it.

Now that I thought of it, I probably should've hooked up the P3 heron to one of the huge DACs available there, to see what the re3 is really capable of. I'm not sure if their impedance would've matched, however...not that I understand the consequence of them not matching anyways.

Again, I'm sure the others had a lot of fun.

Having attended many meets (I wanted to come to this one), and even organized more than a few meets myself (including some in my own home and at other venues - including an audio manufacturer), I know how much work is involved in putting together even the smallest meet. Your post shows absolutely no appreciation for the organizer and his hard work, or for the proprietor who offered up his storefront so that y'all could have a meet like this one. I understand that you may have been disappointed that there were no (??!!) opportunities to listen to IEM's, but it's still not what I'd call a gracious response.

As for the response by andyk, how exactly did you expect your host to react? I'd be a little tweaked at a post like that too.

I'd like to think that, had you thought about it a little, you'd have posted something other than what amounts to one large complaint. That said, it's not altogether clear to me in your succeeding posts that you would have. I hope that you'll be a bit more appreciative of the efforts of those who organize events like these the next time you attend.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #34 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I might share a word or two with tigon_ridge and andyk:

Let's not spoil what ought to be a good thread by engaging in a lot of back and forth about this....K??

My next words for for tigon_ridge only:

I'm quoting your entire original post, as it's where this exchange got started:

Having attended many meets (I wanted to come to this one), and even organized more than a few meets myself (including some in my own home and at other venues - including an audio manufacturer), I know how much work is involved in putting together even the smallest meet. Your post shows absolutely no appreciation for the organizer and his hard work, or for the proprietor who offered up his storefront so that y'all could have a meet like this one. I understand that you may have been disappointed that there were no (??!!) opportunities to listen to IEM's, but it's still not what I'd call a gracious response.

As for the response by andyk, how exactly did you expect your host to react? I'd be a little tweaked at a post like that too.

I'd like to think that, had you thought about it a little, you'd have posted something other than what amounts to one large complaint. That said, it's not altogether clear to me in your succeeding posts that you would have. I hope that you'll be a bit more appreciative of the efforts of those who organize events like these the next time you attend.

Please don't misunderstand, man. I'm getting a bit agitated by these couple replies that make me sound like an ass. I was just describing what I thought (that's the important point you and Andy missed) I saw or didn't see. I'm sure I could have done something more, or had overlooked a few things. I know for a fact that you guys must put a lot of effort into setting up these meets... no doubt about that. Do I appreciate all of that work? Hell, I would be a jerk to deny anybody's good work. I was just saying that I didn't get what I wanted to (again, that's not a complaint, but a matter-of-fact statement). For example, when I said that the listening room was too noisy to fully enjoy any open can, that's not a frickin complaint! It's a fact, which anybody with human ears would agree with.

"I understand that you may have been disappointed that there were no (??!!) opportunities to listen to IEM's"

I did say that I got to listen to the re3 through the macbook's hf out. The Koss iems' were there, too. I guess the iems' that were available were not on my list of interest, but again, I appreciate anyone who attended contributed to the event. My whole point is this, if 100 people came to my birthday party and contributed and had fun, I would definitely really appreciate it; but if I were to make a statement like say, "I didn't see any presents that I could use to upgrade my desktop computer," that would not be a complaint! It's a factual statement! Get the difference? I do not complain (except to my girlfriend - its an impulsive thing).

I don't like back-and-fowards either, but I felt that I had to clearly explain myself, so that there's no misunderstanding. Thank you all for all your work put into the meet, and I hope your interpretation of my words don't spoil those memories. It's too late to say, but I wish I had enjoyed it more than I actually did.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #35 of 140
To add another thought about the meet, the Shadow prototype was there. I had a chance to listen to it with both the R10s and the HD800s. I could not believe that such a tiny headamp could drive those two headphones with such clarity and musicality. I can't wait to get the final production version.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #36 of 140
I may be a complete germ-o-phobe, but I would never try an IEM at a meet. Ewwww.

YMMV, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

I did, however, have the Meier Audio 3Move USB DAC/AMP on display, although it did not seem to garner much interest. My 3 tube amps, on the other hand, did seem to get a lot of listens.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #37 of 140
Another reply by me on this thread-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To add another thought about the meet, the Shadow prototype was there. I had a chance to listen to it with both the R10s and the HD800s. I could not believe that such a tiny headamp could drive those two headphones with such clarity and musicality. I can't wait to get the final production version.

It's an amazing piece of equipment, but it sounds similar to the P-51 Mustang. I like the fact that the audio is digital, but would like a small (4x4mm) display to show what volume level you are at- because the volume starts at 0 every time you turn it on. and because it's digital- you can make it that way. I'm not saying I don't like it- I LOVED IT! But I do think it still needs a little more tweaking when it comes to User Interfacing.

img0054dnt.jpg

Personally- when it comes to the portables that were at the meet, I would take RSA's The Predator over anything else, as of right now.

What do you think?

PS- again, Great meet, AndyK, disregard anything or anyone who says anything but that. Sorry to hear that you didn't like the variety at the meet, Tigon_Ridge.

Thanks,

Spencer D.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #38 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be a complete germ-o-phobe, but I would never try an IEM at a meet. Ewwww.

YMMV, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

I did, however, have the Meier Audio 3Move USB DAC/AMP on display, although it did not seem to garner much interest. My 3 tube amps, on the other hand, did seem to get a lot of listens.

Don't know how I could have missed that. Geez!! I guess I didn't look hard enough. Must do that next time.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #39 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My daughter is just the coolest kid i know and i was so upset that she had to work because she missed this! I know you guys would have loved her!

Guys, the above post was written by my 17 year old daughter who SHOULD know better than to post on public forums under other people's accounts. As a "punishment" Abby will have to write a review of the HiFiMAN RE3's provided by Head-Direct.

Without further ado, here is Abby's review:

Hello guys,
Well I was outside reading on our hammock (Public Enemies. GREAT book!!) and I was listening to my Ipod (White Stripes- Get Behind Me Satan). Being outside I had to listen to the summer sounds of birds chirping and lawns being mowed. Sometimes its nice to listen to these summer sounds, but at that moment the only thing I wanted to listen to was Jack White's singing and amazing guitar skills and Meg White's simple drum beat, so my dad handed me the HiFiMan RE3's.

EFFICIENCY-- As soon as I had the RE3's plugged directly into my Ipod, I found that I did not have to have the volume turned high in order to hear every beat crystal clear. The RE3's are VERY efficient!
smily_headphones1.gif

COMFORT-- While listening to the RE3's I used the smaller double-flanged whatchamicallits (tips-Dad edit). The RE3's are very comfortable. They are light, so light in fact I was able to focus more on the music instead of the fact that I was wearing headphones. After an hour of listening, my ear canals weren't sore, unlike the soreness I feel after using my JVC HA-FX34S Marshmallows.

BUILD-- The RE3's have a braided synthetic cord insulator, which is thin and light and seems to be durable. My Marshmallows have a white rubber insulator which show all signs of dirt and filth I thought the driver housing was made of hard plastic but my father pointed out that it is in fact flexible.

SOUND-- The bass was never muddy or distorted during my jam session. The mids were well balanced. The high's were crisp but not sharp, which my dad informed me is called Sibilance.
o2smile.gif

FINAL IMPRESSION--*****
5 STARS!
smily_headphones1.gif

I would gladly save my minimum wage earnings to buy these headphones.

Abigail Louise (andyk's awesome 17yr old daughter)

IMG_02001.jpg

IMG_02011.jpg

IMG_01962.jpg

IMG_01911.jpg

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #41 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa totally missed that Fubar and the little dot! Oops. Btw, I noticed the hifiman dac/amp that sat next to the amp3 and re3 didn't come with a usb connector. How come?

I think that the owner left pretty early, around 1:00 or so.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #42 of 140
Man, that was a long drive.

Great to finally get back to one of these things! I'll post a bigger response when I get some time, but generally thanks to the organizers for a great venue, those vendors who donated their items to the meet, and Ray for letting me crash at his place afterwards and his usual warm hospitality.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #43 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, that was a long drive.

Great to finally get back to one of these things! I'll post a bigger response when I get some time, but generally thanks to the organizers for a great venue, those vendors who donated their items to the meet, and Ray for letting me crash at his place afterwards and his usual warm hospitality.

That drive must have sucked- sleep well last night?

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #44 of 140
I wasn't totally there after have missing so much sleep from the night before -- but I enjoyed a lot of music! (although I was disappointed with some of these "high-end" headphones).

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #45 of 140
Hey Mike, nice seeing you again. What did you think of the Dream Theater stuff I played for ya?

And curious, which of the headphones did you find underwhelming? Truly interested in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back