Chicago/Milwaukee July 11 2009 Meet Impressions
Jul 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 140
Thanks for hosting- it was a blast. Great time for my first meet- Maybe Germania and I will host one sometime.

Thanks again,

Spencer

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #17 of 140
I'm sure the others had a good time there. I didn't have such an experience, because I was expecting more top-notch IEMs there. I only saw the hifiman re3... the sad thing was, I couldn't find a dac or dac+amp to use with it. I don't know much about the quality of a macbook hf out, but it was underwhelming. I didn't want to bother with the full-size open cans available, because I simply have no interest in open full-size headphones, though I know they sound excellent. I live in a noisy environment, so my main interest is in IEMs. Besides, these days IEMs are beginning to challenge the stereotype that they just don't sound as good as non-portable rigs. I listened to someone's hd600 rig, but the "listening room" was so noisy with people chatting that I couldn't fully enjoy it.

Now that I thought of it, I probably should've hooked up the P3 heron to one of the huge DACs available there, to see what the re3 is really capable of. I'm not sure if their impedance would've matched, however...not that I understand the consequence of them not matching anyways.

Again, I'm sure the others had a lot of fun.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 140
In between ChiUnFi and Canjam 2010 please?

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #20 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure the others had a good time there. I didn't have such an experience, because I was expecting more top-notch IEMs there. I only saw the hifiman re3... the sad thing was, I couldn't find a dac or dac+amp to use with it. I don't know much about the quality of a macbook hf out, but it was underwhelming. I didn't want to bother with the full-size open cans available, because I simply have no interest in open full-size headphones, though I know they sound excellent. I live in a noisy environment, so my main interest is in IEMs. Besides, these days IEMs are beginning to challenge the stereotype that they just don't sound as good as non-portable rigs. I listened to someone's hd600 rig, but the "listening room" was so noisy with people chatting that I couldn't fully enjoy it.

Now that I thought of it, I probably should've hooked up the P3 heron to one of the huge DACs available there, to see what the re3 is really capable of. I'm not sure if their impedance would've matched, however...not that I understand the consequence of them not matching anyways.

Again, I'm sure the others had a lot of fun.

Ouch, nice thread crap.

You're the guy sitting behind my wife in my first pic, right? The guy who's bike I saved from the wind blast?

I think most in attendance are probably chuckling right now. We can't hold everyone's hand that attends, Tigon. I assure you there were TONS of "high end IEM's", DAC/Amps in attendance.

Not talking to people doesn't help either, although you ARE good at typing
confused_face(1).gif

By your own admission you didn't even bother to plug the RE3's into the P3+ Heron (sitting 6 inches away) that was all powered up waiting for people to try out. I guess you expected to be pitched to at this Meet. That is not what a Meet is all about.

Sorry, I don't have time for this nonsense. I am too busy typing thank-you's to all of the Vendors/Manufacturers of gear that were all on display, all waiting to be used, but that you never saw fit to enjoy.

Thanks for attending!

Andy

P.S. Hey Ray, Why didn't you bring any Dac/Amp's for this poor boy? lol

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #24 of 140
Who brought the cookies? They were good- kudos!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who brought the cookies? They were good- kudos!
smily_headphones1.gif

Those were from the local Bloomington factory. I put the order in for HD800s. While they didn't sound too good, they sure tasted good.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #27 of 140
Charles great pics! Thanks!

@ Mrarroyo - yes, I did have the Elekit TU882AS at the meet - for those who were at the meet, it was the silver-faceplate amp at my table with no writing/branding on it at all. Anyone who listened to it have any impressions they'd like to share? My review will take another week or so.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #28 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch, nice thread crap.

You're the guy sitting behind my wife in my first pic, right? The guy who's bike I saved from the wind blast?

I think most in attendance are probably chuckling right now. We can't hold everyone's hand that attends, Tigon. I assure you there were TONS of "high end IEM's", DAC/Amps in attendance.

Not talking to people doesn't help either, although you ARE good at typing
confused_face(1).gif

By your own admission you didn't even bother to plug the RE3's into the P3+ Heron (sitting 6 inches away) that was all powered up waiting for people to try out. I guess you expected to be pitched to at this Meet. That is not what a Meet is all about.

Sorry, I don't have time for this nonsense. I am too busy typing thank-you's to all of the Vendors/Manufacturers of gear that were all on display, all waiting to be used, but that you never saw fit to enjoy.

Thanks for attending!

Andy

P.S. Hey Ray, Why didn't you bring any Dac/Amp's for this poor boy? lol

For a guy who I thought was cordial at the meet, I'm quite surprised of how you could think of my post as "thread crap" and "nonsense." I was just describing my own experience, not other's (I even said that I'm sure everybody else had a blast, but I guess you totally missed that part) but sorry that it offended you...

The amp/dacs that were available, I could see that. I wondered if there were a mini to 1/4" adapters available, or mini outs on those big amps...don't remember. Guess I could have asked. I'm sorry that I couldn't be more outgoing, but I felt a bit out of place. As I said in a post, I'm a newbie, and there's a whole host of questions that I might like to ask, and even more that I haven't even thought of asking, but thank you so much for making me feel welcomed to the head-fi community with such a kind reply... especially that part where you made me seem like I'm an antisocial little immature kid.

I thought about that heron, but I wasn't sure of whether the dac in a macbook would be any good that adding an amp would significantly increase the sound quality. I guess I could have tried anyway.

Like I said, I'm sure everyone enjoyed the meet and I had a chance try out the hd600 (it sounded pretty good but probably would sound awesome if I could have find my favorite CDs, which I probably left back in Sacramento before moving to Wisconsin), and there were probably a few things I might have liked to try out, but I just couldn't find them at the time.

I've never been attacked or criticized by anyone on head-fi before, so congrats Andy, you're the first. Thanks for reminding me of a good lesson: even seemingly nice people don't always respond kindly to others' personal thoughts and experience.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #29 of 140
I wanted thank Andy and his family for organizing such a great meet. I would also like to thank Craig and Diane Swanson for their generous hospitality in letting us use the space. Also, thanks to all the vendors who participate either by donating raffle prizes, attending and educating us on their products or just supporting Head-Fi.

I just enjoy meeting all the people who attend this meet. I find that very enjoyable to meet the people behind the avatars. It really is why I go to the meets.

I did find myself spending more time listening than normal. The Shuguang Treasures CV181-Z literally came in late Friday so the meet was the first time I got to hear them. Needless to say, I was very surprised when they would not fit in the Stealth 6SN7 openings. Luckily the top of the Stealth comes off easily and we all got a chance to listen to these new tubes. Even with no hours on them they were quite amazing. Here is a link to a review from TNT Audio, for those interested. http://http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html

I am working with Ray to see if there is anyway of modifying my Stealth's cover to accomodate these tubes.

I would like to thank Michael at SoundEarphones for sending me the Edition 8s to take to the meet. They had a great synergy with the Stealth and the CV181-Zs. I just wished their size was just a little larger to accommodate larger ears. That was the biggest comment I heard at the meet. I do know, these were the first pair of headphones, my wife approved of the style.

The PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport and Perfect Wave DAC are really nice. I look forward to learning more about these 2 products.

It was a great time but having Streets and Avenues with the same numbers was really confusing and only got me lost in Kenosha for about 30 minutes until I finally had to ask for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back