Chicago Meet impressions - Feb 6th 2016 - ChiUniFi
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 50
Yes, yes, yes, please!  I'm particularly interested in what people think of the DAVE > LAu > Abyss rig.  
smile.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 50
It figures that as soon as I move down to NC, Warren announces discounts on Cavalli gear and a LAu shows up at ChiUniFi. I had a great time last fall and am now even more disappointed I couldn't make it. Please, everyone post pictures and impressions so I can live vicariously through you all    
o2smile.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 50
I had nothing to do with that, it just automagically happened!  
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 50
Yes, yes, yes, please!  I'm particularly interested in what people think of the DAVE > LAu > Abyss rig.  :smile:

Definitely preferred the Gold over the HeadTrip with both being fed by Dave. Most of the time I used the Gold in the low gain setting. Even then with Steve ' Pioneer Master's, I had 2 to 3 clicks in balanced. I tried converting the balanced to single ended, which gave more control over the volume control but loss some of the magic. In the end preferred the balanced configuration. Definitely enjoyed the time with the CA Gold.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 50
I have just one thing to say about the event.

Their really WERE candies, puppies, and magical singing unicorns in the back of the van. I call upon those of you who were BRAVE enough to ride with me to testify to this truth.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 50

Yes, yes, yes, please!  I'm particularly interested in what people think of the DAVE > LAu > Abyss rig.  
smile.gif

Definitely preferred the Gold over the HeadTrip with both being fed by Dave. Most of the time I used the Gold in the low gain setting. Even then with Steve ' Pioneer Master's, I had 2 to 3 clicks in balanced. I tried converting the balanced to single ended, which gave more control over the volume control but loss some of the magic. In the end preferred the balanced configuration. Definitely enjoyed the time with the CA Gold.

Thanks a bunch!  
smile.gif
  I've been around the HeadTrip many times, but never had an opportunity to listen as I was usually working the show that they were at.  
frown.gif
  Still, several ears I trust have been telling me that the HeadTrip is pretty darned good, and that has piqued my curiosity quite a bit for almost a year now.  
redface.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 50
I had a great time last fall and am now even more disappointed I couldn't make it. Please, everyone post pictures and impressions so I can live vicariously through you all    
o2smile.gif

+1

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 50
Thanks a bunch!  :smile:   I've been around the HeadTrip many times, but never had an opportunity to listen as I was usually working the show that they were at.  :frowning2:   Still, several ears I trust have been telling me that the HeadTrip is pretty darned good, and that has piqued my curiosity quite a bit for almost a year now.  :xf_eek:  

It is not the HeadTrip wasn't great, it is the Gold just had that finese. The HeadTrip has that brute strength but that isn't my preference. Also the step attenuator had too large of steps for more efficient headphones. The Gold can adapt to a variety of headphones with the smooth volume control combined with the L/H gain option.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 50

Thanks a bunch!  
smile.gif
  I've been around the HeadTrip many times, but never had an opportunity to listen as I was usually working the show that they were at.  
frown.gif
  Still, several ears I trust have been telling me that the HeadTrip is pretty darned good, and that has piqued my curiosity quite a bit for almost a year now.  
redface.gif

It is not the HeadTrip wasn't great, it is the Gold just had that finese. The HeadTrip has that brute strength but that isn't my preference.

Ah yes, I know exactly what you mean!  Perfectly phrased!  I too have that preference for finesse and grace over brute force immediacy.

Also the step attenuator had too large of steps for more efficient headphones. The Gold can adapt to a variety of headphones with the smooth volume control combined with the L/H gain option.

Right, I gotcha.  Though I suppose if someone only wanted an amp to drive an HE-6 (or an Abyss), that probably wouldn't matter as much.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 50
Great meet, as always guys! I have so much fun every time we get together. Big thanks to Keith for doing the heavy lifting to bring it all together.

Lots of really impressive stuff to hear today. I kicked it off listening to Keith's HE-6 wired into his vintage Yamaha. Quite nice. I really dig the bass and it felt like it had some really killer drive.

Next I spent some time with the ZMF Vibro MKII and a few brief moments with the Omni, both wired into the Wells Audio Headtrip. This thing is an absolute beast with hard-to-drive orthos, and really brought out all the magic zach915m's headphones have to offer. I was really, really impressed with the new Vibro MKII, which is an absolutely insane value and has to be a contender for one of the top headphones at it's respective price point. The tone is just gorgeous!

I spent a good amount of time listening to the new Shure KSE1500 electrostatic IEM, and I have to say, this thing rocks! It brings that super airy and transparent feel you get with a STAX or HD800, without being harsh or fatiguing at all. The one knock on it I will say, is that the onboard DAC in the energizer unit is somewhat lacking. At first listen I wasn't super impressed. Then I hooked it up via line-in from the Chord Mojo, and it was a whole new ballgame! Just jaw-droppingly good with a good DAC behind it. I think I still personally, subjectively prefer the slightly warmer, more romantic sound of the Noble K10, but for hardcore HD800 and electrostatic fans, the Shure KSE1500 is an absolute must-try.

Finally, I spent lots of time listening to my HD800 on the Cavalli Liquid Gold fed by the new Chord DAVE, and it was just phenomenal. The Liquid Gold and the HD800 are such a fantastic match, and the DAVE brings it up another level with excellent transparency, timbre, and very natural balance. It's a little more laid back and natural compared to the Mojo, but not overly so. It's basically in a sweet spot where it's perfectly balanced between uber-detailed and uber-realistic. Building on that foundation, the Liquid Gold adds a tremendous sense of natural warmth and control, making the HD800 bow to the DAVE's every command. This combo is truly special. Big thanks to jude and warrenpchi for making this one possible!

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 50
Glad you had a good time. I was unfortunately working today but had hoped that I might be able to sneak down for a few hours. Hopefully next time..dB 

I would have loved to hear the KSE1500 - this would have been the equipment highlight for me. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 50
Thanks to everyone for being welcoming and for a fun meet. There was lots of nice gear in attendance and it was fun to get to listen to some things I'd never heard before. For me, the biggest highlight was definitely getting to (finally) hear the DNA Stratus - highly resolving, spacious, excellent separation between instruments with a tasteful dose of tube liquidity. Really excellent. I also enjoyed hearing Zach's ZMF headphones for the first time. His Blackwood model in particular appealed to me with a warm but relatively neutral presentation - beautiful looking headphones as well.

ZMF Omni - Warm with emphasized bass. A nice take on a fun tuning.

ZMF Blackwood - A bit more neutral leaning and my personal preference of ZMF's lineup.

MicroZOTL amp at the ZMF table

Checking out the ZMF Omni being fed by the Wells Audio Headtrip and the Chord Dave. The Headtrip's power had excellent grip of the drivers, tightening up the presentation and opening up the staging.

AKG K701's

HiFiMan HE-1000's via Bottlehead S.E.X and Yggy

HiFiMan HE-6's powered by a vintage Yamaha CR-2020

Grados

DNA Stratus and the Sennheiser HD800S 

DNA Stratus headphone outputs - The amp comes in any color of your choosing as long as it's blue.

Talking Shop

Chord Dave

Wells Audio Headtrip - Lots of power and synergistic for low efficiency cans. Higher efficiency headphones ended up too low on the stepped attenuator and there was too great of a volume difference between steps. Horses for courses... 

Checking out the various systems

Mr Speakers Ether

Stax - One pair was modded I believe, though I wasn't sure who's they were to discuss what had been done.

Jude listening to the HiFiMan Edition X

Astell and Kern AK240 AK380 with the HiFiMan Edition X - Warm and very relaxed.

Woo Audio WA7

AKG K7XX and the Woo Audio WA7

Assortment of cables

ENIGMAcoustics Dharma

Pioneer SE-Master 1 - Surprising to see these out in the wild. While they weren't my cup of tea, they were fun hear.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 50
@JoelT get some sleep man. It was definitely great to meet everyone. Very fun easy-going group, all with well thought out systems. Thanks to Keith for organizing the event. Special thanks to Ogodei (Steve) for allowing me to indulge with his DNA Stratus, the highlight of my day. I got to hear the RSA Raptor for the first time, after reading so much about it. It was a great listen coupled with great music selection. I'll post pics later today.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #15 of 50
@JoelT
 get some sleep man. It was definitely great to meet everyone. Very fun easy-going group, all with well thought out systems. Thanks to Keith for organizing the event. Special thanks to Ogodei (Steve) for allowing me to indulge with his DNA Stratus, the highlight of my day. I got to hear the RSA Raptor for the first time, after reading so much about it. It was a great listen coupled with great music selection. I'll post pics later today I
Thanks for the compliment .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back