Chicago Meet April 26-27 Thanks and Impressions
Apr 29, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #106 of 143
Nice pics ToddR. Good teamwork! And thanks for posting a pic of me sitting at the Wheatfield that I missed!
smily_headphones1.gif
Hey after Saturday night I'm lucky to have any brain cells left. I had a great time!

Any body got a Yamaha PX-2 turntable they're willing to part with?

Apr 29, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #107 of 143
Quote:

Originally posted by ChenaynayC

Any body got a Yamaha PX-2 turntable they're willing to part with?

Gil is waiting for you!! You will think he is in the room with you when you get a table.

Apr 29, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #108 of 143
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd R
Check it out!
Since I was having problems with my pictures, our good friend Sean H was kind enough to resize the pictures for me.
Much better, thanks Sean.

Hey.. now they're too small?
wink.gif
[j/k].. I went to the Shanling page and got my own pr0n... See Rizumu's avatar to catch a glimpse..
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #109 of 143
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Gil is waiting for you!! You will think he is in the room with you when you get a table.

Well, there goes my wallet... Actually, I have a really cheap, bad, old Technics (don't shoot me - I did upgrade the cartridge to AT) that I refuse to put him on after Saturday. Meets are very, very dangerous!

Apr 29, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #110 of 143
Hi ChenaynayC....

You are not that far from Skokie, any time you want to hear
the Emmeline XR2 phono stage with Yamaha PX2 TT, you are more than welcome, Just don't forget the Pizza, & your LP's.
Ray

Apr 29, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #111 of 143
ChenaynayC,

I meant to start a birthday thread for you but fell asleep.Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I always give my friends records.This is always a good thing because it will either force them to buy a vinyl rig or improve upon the one they have been neglecting.I hope you enjoy them soon.

If you are serious about a great low priced Auto table,PM JMT I think he still has a Thorens TD190 for sale.

Apr 29, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #112 of 143
Another Chicago Head-fi meet has come and gone (4th one!) Fred, another stellar effort on your part to share and spread the word about our hobby. Thanks! Everyone has talked specifically about the equipment. I just wanted to give shout outs:

tbrim - Again, welcome to Head-fi. It was fun talking shop about the MG Head and the 580/600 combo. I'm glad you liked it. Good luck with your upcoming purchase and watch the volume levels!

nick danger - I'm glad those 250-80s are working out well for you! What else could I have you spend on - how 'bout my Sony 1700s
wink.gif
Good to see you.

eagle_driver - Nice to finally meet you, and all your portable gear, and talk shop. I hope I shed some light on how good the 250-80 really are,especially for portable use.

austonia - I had ample time to listen to the Eggos with my Altoids CHA47 and r900. I was so impressed that I bought a pair yesterday.

ChenaynayC - Happy Birthday again! I still haven't put all my gear back together. I'll give a listen to it without the ART DI/O. I'll let you know.

Fred - Thanks for asking about the Morans, bless you!

Till next year or til Detroit!!!

Regards - reynman

Apr 29, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #113 of 143
Speaking of austonia, he thought his Grado RS-1s were his favourite headphones. That is, until he had heard MY stock-cabled Sennheiser HD600's...
evil_smiley.gif

The rest is history.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #114 of 143
Probably true. I think Jude got the CES unit so yours must be a different one!

Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
Great Chatting with you too. I agree 100% the build quality on the Twin Head is not up to par. Pretty shotty actually. I appreciate your honesty. Fred thinks this is a different unit than the one he heard at the CES.

Apr 29, 2003 at 9:11 AM Post #115 of 143
R-10 + Emmeline amp
incredible! an immersive, 3D soundstage. despite what it looks like it is curiously lightweight. and comfy. understandably, the standard by which many are measured. I was actually nervous holding these things they cost so much.

Etymotic Er4S + HPA-1
I expected weak bass and weird microphonics, occulusion. However, paired with my HPA-1 amp, they sounded great! very detailed and the bass was okay. Side-effects were very tolerable. I liked how much isolation it gave in a noisy room. This is the must-have toy for me now.

HD600 + various amps
Pleasantly surprised. I didn't know what to expect after hearing a lot about it being "laid back" and "veiled". But vocals were very elegant with these. Music was extremely enjoyable on all the cords that I heard them on (even stock). They seem like a great, all-around type headphone.

Grado SR225, 325 + RA-1
very similiar, but a little better bass extension on 325 i think.

Grado RS-1 (with Senn pad mod) + various
(my cans) ... these are still great paired with my HPA-1, but they are not as "ultimate" as I thought before the show. They do not pair well with some amps and highs sounded screechy on some. However they mate excellent with the Emmeline. I found that alot of people do not like Grado at all because of comfort, price, or because they did not sample Grado on an agreeable amp. Still, for me, I need that Grado punch! And the RS-1 has a deep, extended bass that is hard to match.

AKG K1000
Well, they sounded like speakers strapped to my head. They were turned up very loud and the highs were too piercing so I didn't listen for long. where was the volume knob!

AudioTechnica W2002 + HPA-1
These just sounded weird and funky and I couldn't decide what to think about them. seemed like parts of the spectrum were really boosted. They were not as huge as I imagined.

Meridian CD player
Wow. well... I'm used to a Sony D25S as my main unit so it was a slight improvement.
biggrin.gif

Sony 7506 out of portable CD players
These had crazy-bass that reminded me of my Beyer DT770's (havn't listened to them in awhile now). I can see why these are popular cheapies. Isolation was better than expected too. but they sure made you aware of the HISS from PCDP's.

Emmeline + AD opamp
full, rich, quiet, and small! A big hit at the show. Seemed that most all the headphones like it.

I was overwhelmed with options on day 1 and just tried a little of this and that. I wanted to do a more methodical study on day 2 but I had my gf along and we ended up exploring chicago. I had a great time!

Apr 29, 2003 at 11:35 AM Post #116 of 143
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Hey.. now they're too small?
wink.gif
[j/k].. I went to the Shanling page and got my own pr0n... See Rizumu's avatar to catch a glimpse..
wink.gif

Oh don't worry, I have more picts
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just have to get them formatted right.
IMG_0029.JPG

Apr 29, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #117 of 143
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd R
Oh don't worry, I have more picts
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just have to get them formatted right.

Heh... I drooled a small puddle after seeing this:

CD-T100A.jpg

Good thing I don't have $2k on me...
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #118 of 143
Looks like a fantastic time was had by all.

For those that listened to it--how did the Emmeline XR2 phono stage sound? Dare I ask how much it goes for?

Apr 29, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #119 of 143
I listened for a short time to the Emmeline phono stage and was very impressed. Quiet background and lots of detail with plenty of gain, and this was using the vintage Yamaha table and SennHD600's with Emmeline amp. I don't know the price, but my guess is whatever it costs, while it might not be cheap, it's probably an outstanding value.

Apr 29, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #120 of 143
Quote:

Originally posted by DeeJayBump
Looks like a fantastic time was had by all.

For those that listened to it--how did the Emmeline XR2 phono stage sound? Dare I ask how much it goes for?

I listened to it almost every time Ray changed a record using a variety of headphones over 2 days. It sounded great, made the vinyl see alive. Tremendous detail. R10's were at there best with this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back