Chicago Meet (21 May 2005) - #2 Stop for Headroom (Pics Coming Soon)
May 28, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
The desktop portable as an amp sounded very good, I'd say it has a very different flavor, but is at least as good in regard to detail and presentation as the gilmore lite I have on loan from headamp.

Desktop, or Micro? The Desktop costs 2x the Lite, so it damn well should sound better. If you mean the Micro, that would be a much more interesting comparison and I'd be curious if you had more detailed thoughts.

jesse

May 28, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
Desktop, or Micro? The Desktop costs 2x the Lite, so it damn well should sound better. If you mean the Micro, that would be a much more interesting comparison and I'd be curious if you had more detailed thoughts.

jesse

I had 15 minutes to compare the 2, so detailed impressions will not be coming. I also only had my very new vinyl rig, so I didn't really have a good baseline for a comparison anyway.
And no, the micro and the Lite aren't really competitors, one is a dedicated home amp, the other is meant to run off of batteries but does have a wall supply option. The lite and desktop portable are more natural competitors, however the desktop portable has many more options, such as an optional dac, selectable crossfeed and gain, , an upgradeable power supply, 2 different amp modules, and a battery power option. Headroom is also a much bigger comany than Headamp. I would have to have a lot more time with the desktop portable to make any solid statements, but my first impression was that it was very similar to, or slightly better than the lite in quality , just with a very different flavor.

May 28, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #33 of 47
Actually they are competitors in the sense that they both are in the same price range and both can function as a desktop sort of amp. It's silly to compare something that costs twice the price for anything other than reference, as someone with a $300 budget would never consider the other.

jesse

May 28, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
Actually they are competitors in the sense that they both are in the same price range and both can function as a desktop sort of amp. It's silly to compare something that costs twice the price for anything other than reference, as someone with a $300 budget would never consider the other.

jesse

Remember, the Micro is swappable to the desktop module for no monetary cost (but halving the battery life). So if the desktop module stacks well against the Lite, this is a very good sign for the livelyhood of both the micro and desktop. As mentioned above, the desktop/portable have a *ton* of options, I actually think that's an apealing thing about headroom's gear - even though I don't currently own any of their gear (microdac on the way...), that is one of the major reasons I chose the supermacro for a portable amp - flexibility.

May 29, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Remember, the Micro is swappable to the desktop module for no monetary cost (but halving the battery life). So if the desktop module stacks well against the Lite, this is a very good sign for the livelyhood of both the micro and desktop. As mentioned above, the desktop/portable have a *ton* of options, I actually think that's an apealing thing about headroom's gear - even though I don't currently own any of their gear (microdac on the way...), that is one of the major reasons I chose the supermacro for a portable amp - flexibility.

Thats my point exactly. Due to the completely different design philosophies, price in this specific case is not the best way to determine competitive products. In my opinion, the HD25 is in another class when compared with either the lite or the desktop, but its a completely stationary, very small volume amp with none of the options of the headroom and twice the price of the gilmore. What I really want to do is compare the desktop portable to an XP-7 and the forthcoming eddie current bat head as they are closer in price, and are designed for both home and portable use. I'd like to compare the lite to the old headroom little and a well configured PPA for the same reasons.

May 29, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #36 of 47
I feel it a good idea to offer a few comments about what I saw and heard at the meet. I did'nt listen to everything(I've actually heard most all of it anyway) and attended mostly to mend fences with Ray and hang with my good buddy Tyll(Semper-fi right back at you Brother).

I saw and heard live examples of the new Headroom line-up back in febuary when we visited Montana. The Max amps were only available as working circuits with the cosmetics presented as Computer generated renderings. I thought the amps looked good and my impressions were further enforced when I saw them in person.

Tyll and Jamey are very high on the sonics of the new amplification circuits and I fully understand why,they sound fantastic. I'll offer that I think as great as the amps are, the DACs are where Headroom has really hit a home-run with the new line-up. I have long been an advocate and fan of stand-alone DACs and have auditioned and owned quite a few,from the earliest Levinson,MSB and Krells to the very latest,(and very highly dissapointing) Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3. Getting a DAC right is not an easy thing as evidenced by the hits and misses launched by Krell and MF over the years. Headroom has the DACs right. They sound universally superior to any low-cost DACs I've yet heard. From the Overture DAC I heard months ago to the latest on-board DACs of the new Balanced Max amp,these DACs are all world-class. The fact that the DACs can be added to most of the new Headroom amps as an upgrade is just cake for already sweet icing. To say that I'm impressed with what Headroom has done here is a huge understatement. With this latest round of new products Headroom remains at the top in terms of State of the (Solid-State) Headphone amp art.

My favorite new Headroom amp has to be the Desktop with Max Dac and power supply options,using the standard amp module. I do think the upgraded Max amp module option is superior and is very much worth the upgrade cost but the Desktop with the DAC and outboard PS is the s**t,twice. I can think of no other amp that offers as much versitility and performance for anywhere near the $1400 asking price of the Desktop with those upgrades. Show me the other solid-state with great sonics,an amazing on-board DAC and a really,really effective outboard power-supply and I'll shut up. The Desktop is amazing.

I had'nt talked to or seen my friend Ray Samuels for a few months and it was good to see him again. He's the very first adult male to ever get in my face and live to tell about it,so I must love him to death. His amps sounded great as usual and I'll say again that the X-10B is the very "best" Phono-Stage I've ever heard and recently I've sampled most of the much,much more expensive units. Ray builds great amps but his phono stages are truly the stuff of legend. I heard and commented on the Raptor months ago and predicted then that Ray would sell them as fast as he could build them and that has come true. I still think Ray Samuels does the purest sounding amplification circuits. As much as I love cross-feed I shudder to think what effect that would have on one of Ray's amps. I think his strong desire to keep his amps as pure and direct as possible is what makes them so great.

It was also good to see Mikhail. I did'nt get a chance to listen to his stuff purely because I did'nt feel comfortable doing so,given our history. I'm glad he made the effort to stop and say hello. That proves my point that warriors are not good diplomats and further proves who the bigger man among is. I'm sure we both wish we could start over from scratch. Thanks again Mikhail and I sincerly wish you the best of luck.

It was also great to see and hang with all my head-fi buddies again. I'm glad I came and was glad you all were happy to see me. The very loud and warm welcome made me feel great and the big bear hugs I got from Tyll,Rey and Todd were super.

Yeah,I lost weight,mainly to become a more competitive racer and take back some of the advantage I give away to smaller drivers. I have'nt won a race yet but I did qualify #1 and took 3rd place at a Regional Heat a few weeks ago in my Cobalt. Racing is many,many times more expensive than Headphone stuff but it's also a bit more thrilling. Not really more fun but much,much more risky and dangerous. I qualified #7 for tomorrow's race only because my front-line car was disqualified(again) for not having a plug-in for the lap timer(I cut it when I added a new sponsor sticker) and I had to go to my second car which was not set-up for the short,tight track we're racing on. I made some changes and my last pratice lap was fast enough to have qualified me #1. I'm hoping for a win tomorrow. Sorry to get off on racing stuff in a meet impressions thread but I'm not gonna post anywhere else and racing is where my head is now.

May 29, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #37 of 47
Yo tubes whats up, I knew you would show! thats why I bought the guniss...or w/e how you spell it.

Rey and I are getting into vinyl, and josh is alittle ahead of us.
Rey and I need advice hardcore cause we are buying and flying blind now, so yeah.

It was worht it from a host stand point when you and ray were talking, hope all is well..and come by Rays when I pick up my new toys in a few weeks to..
I need alot of luck on this vinyl stuff, I am scared.

May 29, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Yo tubes whats up, I knew you would show! thats why I bought the guniss...or w/e how you spell it.

Rey and I are getting into vinyl, and josh is alittle ahead of us.
Rey and I need advice hardcore cause we are buying and flying blind now, so yeah.

It was worht it from a host stand point when you and ray were talking, hope all is well..and come by Rays when I pick up my new toys in a few weeks to..
I need alot of luck on this vinyl stuff, I am scared.

Fred will be a fountain of info on this, I'm sure, but I just posted a request for impressions on budget phono stages in the source section, so you might want to keep an eye on that as well.

May 29, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #40 of 47
Billy,
I've sorting through my vinyl collection for duplicates and music I don't want. You guys are welcome to pick through my reject pile.

Fred,
It's not a Head-Fi meet without you (as evidenced by the thunderous applause upon you're arrival)
biggrin.gif

Even if there was no headphone gear there it's always worth the trip to see our friends. I usually take one of my boys with me and they always ask if Fred, Ray, Charles (Ray's son) & Billy will be there.
TR

May 29, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #41 of 47
Billy,

Sounds like a road trip to MI to pick through stuff and listen to Todd's vinyl rig.
biggrin.gif

Let me know.

Regards - reynman

May 29, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #42 of 47
Fred,

I'm sorry that family commitments kept me from attending this meet...it would have been good to see you.

Happy racing...we'll catch up one of these days.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Billy,

Sounds like a road trip to MI to pick through stuff and listen to Todd's vinyl rig.
biggrin.gif

Let me know.

Regards - reynman

You guys are welcome anytime!
You missed the Beer Butt chicken on the grill today (it was awesome), but I promise I'll feed you good when you come over.
Todd R

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #44 of 47
I've been really really hoping for some impressions on the Micro DAC (as I won't be able to hear one for myself until I cough up for it...) So... How does it sound?
tongue.gif

/JF

Jun 2, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Billy,
I've sorting through my vinyl collection for duplicates and music I don't want. You guys are welcome to pick through my reject pile.

Fred,
It's not a Head-Fi meet without you (as evidenced by the thunderous applause upon you're arrival)
biggrin.gif

Even if there was no headphone gear there it's always worth the trip to see our friends. I usually take one of my boys with me and they always ask if Fred, Ray, Charles (Ray's son) & Billy will be there.
TR

thank you!
I am still enjoying the mags you gave..my firends cant believe how many I have in my trunk!!..lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back