Chicago Meet 10/25/03 Impressions: Please Post In This Thread.
Oct 26, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #16 of 67
Congrats, everyone, on another great meet! Looks like it was a lot of fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

(More impressions of the Ray Samuels tube amp please!
biggrin.gif
Damn, I can't wait to get my paws on that puppy!)

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:25 PM Post #17 of 67
These meets are outstanding and I would like to thank Tuberoller for organizing it and everyone else for attending and bringing their equipment. These meets are like family reunions I have attended. You see the "usual suspects" that attend every one but there are always new people to meet. I really had a good time and spent a good part of my day mingling and listening to peoples impressions. We even snagged a few potential new members from the lobby as their curiosity got the better of them.

One woman asked me what was going on as I was getting a cup of coffee. Well I invited her in and let her do some listening. I hooked her up with a Grover Washington CD playing on a Meridian, Ray Samuels new Stealth tube amp and the HD-600's with a Cardas cable. She listened for a moment and the change in her facial expression was priceless. Her eyes lit up and this smile came across her face. Then for a time she was gone in her own world listening to the music. She commented later that she didn't know Cd's could sound this good, "you can actually hear the instruments".

A few of my impressions of things I tried to:

....or didn't listen too. Todd the Vinyl Junkie had the ER-20 attenuating earplugs and I got a pair. After trying them out they are perhaps the best thing you can for your enjoyment of music. These plugs are amazing they reduce the loudness with virtually no loss in sound quality. These beauties are going to be a constant companion from now on while driving with the windows down, sporting events or any other activity where it is important to hear but the noise level is possibly damaging. These are a must have item.

Todd also had the Grado flat pads and I got a pair of these as well. I put them on a pair of RS-1's, my skepticism running high as to whether they would really make a difference. Well they do make a difference, a large one at that. The bass becomes fuller and the highs and mid range take on a more natural sound. The brightness that I have always associated with the Grado headphones is gone. If you have Grado's this is another must have item IMO.

Moving around the room I listened to a few other setups.

When the Blockhead is at a meet I always gravitate to it. The Blockhead, Meridian or Wadia players, and the HD-600's is hands down my favorite setup and I tend to compare everything to it. Everything sounds right and not much more needs to be said.

I compared Ray Samuels XP-7 battery powered amp to HeadRoom's Maxed Out Home using an A/B switch after adjusting the volumes as closely as I could to each other. I was using my trusty HD-600's w/ Cardas which I have literally hundreds of hours on. I listened for a good half hour to music I really know. Listening and switching and listening again. In this period I could hear absolutely no difference between these two very fine amps.

Later in the day I had some time to compare the new PPA to the XP-7 as well. These two amps were very close as well, however it was possible to pick out a few subtle differences. Based on a short time listening I found the PPA on its own to be a very good sounding amp and I think it is going to work well for many people. When I compared it directly to the XR-7 I found it slightly drier sounding in the mid and high end and it did not have the same bass impact as the XR-7. These amps are very close but the edge here goes to the XR-7.

One of my favorites at every meet is the AKG-1000's and Tuberoller's Fisher receiver. People would walk by and comment on this setup. Many saying "My Dad had one of these when I was young". Well in this case old is good. This pairing is one of my favorites although a meet is not the ideal place to listen. You need a quiet room for these earspeakers to really shine. Now that my Fisher amp is up and running maybe a pair of AKG's are in my future.

My last impression is to be fair, not from the meet but rather from the night before. You will be reading about Ray Samuels new tube amp the Stealth from other attendees both here and at the Detroit meet that was held last month. I had an opportunity to listen to it in its other role, that of a Preamp. I know this is wandering off a little afield from headphones but it was too good to pass up. My time here too was too short having heard it for just one evening. As a Preamp it does a superb job. The sound was truly amazing smooth and beautifully transparent with no coloration that I could discern. I listened to CD after CD and just closed my eyes lost in the music. I think Stealth is going to be one of the great headphone amps out there, one that others are judged against, but remember it is also a great preamp as well.

Well I got home about 12 hours after I left having had a great dinner in the city. My wife was walking the dog as I drove up and she had that look on her face. She asked me how my day went and before I could answer (it was really a rhetorical question) she added "and by the way what did you buy today?". I replied, "nothing really", she just rolled her eyes said "ya right" in that tone only a wife can have and went inside.

I stayed up and watched the Blackhawks beat LA finally going to bed thinking that Christmas will soon be upon us, my list getting longer.

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #18 of 67
Hey guys, looks like a good time was had by all. Lots of gear to check out that's for sure. One question, is that an MPX3 or PPX3 on the right side of the group pic and why hasn't anyone posted any impressions of it?

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #19 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Hey guys, looks like a good time was had by all. Lots of gear to check out that's for sure. One question, is that an MXP3 or PPX3 on the right side of the group pic and why hasn't anyone posted any impressions of it?

That's an MPX3...
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
That's an MPX3...
biggrin.gif

Thought so. Now where's those impressions...
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 67
I'm in love with the Ray Samuels Stealth
eek.gif
So purdy......

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 67
I almost forgot, good thing I took notes this time. I also listened to the new AKG-271S that Todd the Vinyl Junkie supplied. These are the new closed headphones that AKG has just put out. I listened to them with the new PPA and a portable player (excuse me my notes were incomplete here). These headphones sounded really good to my ears. I do not have much time with closed headphones as I normally go t the Ety's when I want isolation and don't want to disturb others. The Bass was all there but not overpowering, the all important midrange was spot on especially at the lower volumes I listen at. The high end was well defined but never sounded shrill. These are another pair of headphones that deserve another listen.

The day was too short as I look at the pictures and see many amps I didn't get a chance to listen to.

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #23 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
[(More impressions of the Ray Samuels tube amp please!
biggrin.gif
Damn, I can't wait to get my paws on that puppy!) [/B]

Me either, Mark.
And I'm really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on the meet. Wish I could have been there. Thanks especially to Elrod-Tom for the I-Pod/MP3 updates. I'm the other guy in the US who has "missed the ship" in that regard and have shared your position as an MP3 snob. Its good to know that AAC at 320kbps will produce quality sound. I know what I'll be using when I go that route.
Good to see that everyone had the usual great time, and it sounds like there was some great gear there.

JC

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #24 of 67
I'm glad everyone had a great time. I really wish I could have made this one, but just couldn't. If there is a spring one, I really hope to make it. Anyone have an R-10 at the meet? I was interested to see how it did with Ray's new stealth tube amp. Keep the impressions comming!

- Kieran

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #25 of 67
There was no MDR-R10 at the meet this time.
frown.gif

But there was an MDR-CD3000 (CD3K) at the meet. I liked it, but not enough for the $370+ price to make me switch from my HD600 anytime soon.

My bad about the Ray Samuels's portable amp. It's the XR-7, as everyone else had said.
redface.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by stupid_girl_says
Anymore pictures?

Ray Samuels took a bunch of pictures as well but he needs to have them developed. I think he took closeups of all the gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back