Chicago Head-Fi Meet (24 Apr 2004) Impressions (Please Post Here)
Apr 27, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #121 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProParadox

I got pretty well reamed out by Ray over crossfeed too.... haha...

You met the anti-crossfeed Ray I see.

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #122 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProParadox
I really liked the Emmeline HR-2 amp with the 650/Cardas combo. Not having much experience with high end stuff, this sounded excellent. I seemed to be hearing much more than I was used to. I wasnt sure if the extra things I was hearing were because of coloration, or just extra detail.

You have good taste, that is an excellent combo and one i enjoy a whole lot!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #123 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
You have good taste, that is an excellent combo and one i enjoy a whole lot!
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty much dead set on building a PPA, hopefully I'll be pleased with the result. I just dont have the $$$ for an HR-2, of course, there were no PPA's to be found at the chicago meet.

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #124 of 148
ok here is what I thought of everyone and the gear

Tuberoller:: your crazy into the headphone thing, you showed us more gear then one could imagine. we didnt talk much but cause of you i have the rs-1's coming on weds from todd the vinyl junkie.. I didnt really know how to turn up the volume on the stax so I didnt get into all that like everyone else did. love the car and all your input. I hope you have better luck with your ear's as you said they were hurting or something. oh by the way my dad and mom wanted to know your name cause My dad was a fireman and just retired, they are the people who gave us the chairs and tables.

Todd R:: I was pretty pissed I couldnt give the stat mat a even try, I will though ....soon!

Ray Samuels:: when I first walked in I didnt know who you were or anything, later on I firgured out you ade some amps...lol you were amazingly nice and super knowledge into the amps you seen. plus you were a real gentlemen when it came to other companies amps to. the stealth preamp was the cleanest thing I heard. the sr-71 had so much power I couldnt go up a 1/4 way. and the xp-7? will be my next purchase..... july hopefully?.

Reynman:: it was a honor to ride with such a headphone nut, hell thats why i drove you home...so we could talk more headphone stuff.lol
I will take you up on the offer of the DAC, and I talked to ttvj about coming out to chicago for another meet. let me know if you wanna help host another one at the place we talked about before. they said it wouldnt be a probelm at all to have the whole basement for a day, and there is a record store rite across the street to.

John (VanL):: omg a audio shop you can smoke in!!!!! yes this guy ruled.. i will be autioning some kimbers from him in the near future. and if i ever get into a 2 channel setup i will buy his speakers!!!

eagle-driver:: i sat down and did a shot to shot compare with the 225's and the 325's..wow those 225's are great cans...small but great.
hanging out with all of you for a day gave my set-up more life then it ever has (even though my 325's are blown!..thats ok rs-1's are on the way).
I was so amazed about the 2 channel setup cause you can go to any place and listen to a $40,000 plus set-up but you cant go to any place and have the preamp maker (ray) standing on your left and the speaker maker (john) stand to your right....that was so cool

upgrades for my future....

i still have to get some inter connects..lol...i forgot the guys name that was helping me with the inter connects..blue shirt man? but thanx

either a stealth or a xp-7? from ray! they sound amazing

senns 650's for the hell of it, this upgrade is for when im bored

stat mat's, i have to see if these really do what they were told to

modd out the 542?????? oh man i cant think like that its not even a month old yet.....thanx reynman...lol

anyway when do you peeps wanna do it again?

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #125 of 148
Here's the "Ebonyks with breasts" from the Milwaukee meet pic that we all are dying to see again. It musta been cold in there.

I like Peter cause he can take a joke

site1050.JPG

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #126 of 148
thank you, thank you, thank you, tuberoller, for helping that pic resurface.

i'm real sorry i missed the meet but i just had to, i'm kicking myself for missing out on some gear i really want to hear (omega2 and kgss, joe grado hp1000 series, etc.). i hope there's another chicago meet before june, if not i might have to make the drive up to canada over the summer (i live in buffalo ny when not at school) for an ontario meet. who knows, maybe i'll even have new gear (i hope not).

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #127 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
thank you, thank you, thank you, tuberoller, for helping that pic resurface.

i'm real sorry i missed the meet but i just had to, i'm kicking myself for missing out on some gear i really want to hear (omega2 and kgss, joe grado hp1000 series, etc.). i hope there's another chicago meet before june, if not i might have to make the drive up to canada over the summer (i live in buffalo ny when not at school) for an ontario meet. who knows, maybe i'll even have new gear (i hope not).

june? what do you tuberoller and reynman think>?

Apr 27, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #128 of 148
I am green with envy! All you guys and gals look like you had a complete blast!! I can't wait for the SoCal meet. I think half the fun at meets is meeting and chatting with all the people of whom I admire and have great respect for on this addicting website we call head-fi. I think the thing I'm most excited about is hearing that new prototype made by Mr. Samuels. I'll be needing a new amp soon and that little kicker looks to be a very strong contender. Congrats to you all for pulling together what looked like an incredible meet! I'm also happy that a lot of you actually heard the differences between the HD600 and HD650. Whether one is better than the other is up in the air mostly based on personal preference...but I think it's safe to say that there is a definite difference in their overall sound presentation and balance.

Apr 27, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #129 of 148
I wish I tried out more sources, but I didn't have enough time! I did like the NAD c542 though. I also thought that the Philips 963sa was nice sounding. Has anyone done a back to back test with these?...I knew I should have...
rolleyes.gif

I didn't get a chance to here the modded NAD c541i, but if that can be modded im sure the c542 can be modded too right!?

bhd812, has your c542 sounded bright at any times? I've heard a few people claim it to be.

Also, does anyone think that the 963sa can be bright? or would be with a gilmore with grados? I only got to hear it with the awesome sounding wheatfield HA-2, which had a very warm and uber-tubey sound to it.

BTW, Im in the market for rs-1's...anyone wanna give em up??
rs1smile.gif

Regards,
Dan

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #130 of 148
I missed the meet. I really wanted to come, buy we are short help at work and I just could not get away. Anyway sounds like everyone had a great time. I know one thing I will be buying for sure is the new portable from Ray. Thanks for the updates.

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #131 of 148
I've said it once, and i'll say it again. That pic will be your end, my friend
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #132 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I got dibbs on the silver prototype SR71
biggrin.gif

DAmn it Tubes! There you go again. I had wanted the silver stealth way back when but was told by Ray that you already had your grubby hands all over it.

Looks like you guys had another fantastic meet with some very fine gears once again.

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #133 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver

The biggest highlight for me is listening to two of my headphones - the Cardas-cabled HD 600 and the AKG K240S - on Ray Samuel's prototype Emmeline SR-71. I was amazed at just how much output power could be extracted from a long-battery-life amp that measures barely larger than a pack of cigarettes!
eek.gif
Look for me on the waiting list for that SR-71 amp when the production version comes out in about a month or so. (It will very likely replace my Headroom Total Airhead as my portable amp of choice.)

Eagle_Driver

Hmm..I wish I could get to play with one of those, too. I'm thinking of getting a Larocco PR to accompany me on my travels, but this little SR-71 really sounds the business from what I've read here so far. Exciting indeed.

Apr 28, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #134 of 148
Looks like another successful Head-fi meet in Chi-town. I am bummed I didn't go, but I had too good of an opportunity to make some extra $$ on Saturday, (which of course will be spent on audio). It also looks like you did well without my Meridian. I would have liked to hear the difference between the 506.20, 507, 508.20, G08. The thing I missed the most were those of you I haven't met yet. Ray, you sly dog, making the perfect commuting amp for those like me who listen to headphones only while commuting. By the time I get home, its all about the tubes and Maggies. Can anybody state the biggest difference in the XP-7 compared to the SR-71 besides size? I also hope we can get the KGSS back for the next meet, as that is what I was most curious about. Is anybody else going to post what impressions they had from more equipment? Or was this more of a hanging with the friends kind of meet? By the way, I didn't see Ken in any of those pics, was he there? If so, how was the Si2A3?? If you didn't go, I say we have another mini-meet, I am dying to hear that thing!!

Apr 28, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #135 of 148
That member wore the R10 backward!! Remember ....the cord is always on your left!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back