Chicago Head-Fi Meet 07/31/04 Impressions (PLEASE POST HERE)
Aug 6, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #76 of 87
Nice pic Billy! So much for you borrowing the HD300!
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #77 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiboy
Nice writeup Jake! That was me with the Etymotics. They are the 4S's, not the 4-Ps. I agree with your assessment.

It was fun meeting you. That's a long trip for a headfi meet -- glad it was worth it for you!

Thanks.

How did your investigation into the different portable amps go? Did you end up hearing a difference between the headout on your portable and going lineout-> amp?

I'd like to know.

Aug 6, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #78 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
Thanks.

How did your investigation into the different portable amps go? Did you end up hearing a difference between the headout on your portable and going lineout-> amp?

I'd like to know.

Well, firstly I made the mistake of bringing a new disc I like (from the Jerry Garcia Box Set "All Good Things"), rather than a disc that would really bring out the best in headphones/amps. Secondly, I had a hard time isolating the impact of amps. I will probably borrow the SR-71 one day from Ray S., who is also in the Chicago area, and perhaps try to demo the Gilmore Lite. An at home extended demo will work much better for me. I think I can get a quick read on headphones, their comfort and their sound a lot easier in the "meet" environment, than amps or interconnects. At least until I train my ears better...

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #79 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiboy
.............. I think I can get a quick read on headphones, their comfort and their sound a lot easier in the "meet" environment, than amps or interconnects. At least until I train my ears better...

I am with you 100% on this one. I have a very hard time hearing the subtle differences between amps when it is noisy. I need a very quiet environment to properly do an evaluation. The only exception is when using the Ety's as they block the sound very well.

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #80 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I am with you 100% on this one. I have a very hard time hearing the subtle differences between amps when it is noisy. I need a very quiet environment to properly do an evaluation. The only exception is when using the Ety's as they block the sound very well.

Very true, on top of that one has to factor in the deferent CD players and cables used with the amps at the meet. Its easy to swap the headphones not so easy with the other stuff.

I'm also very much considering the hr-2 or sr-71 as my next purchase and would love to be able to demo it in my main setup comparing to the other amps I have. Relaxed home setting would be ideal. Unfortunately Ray does not offer any demo units so I guess it leaves only two other options, borrow from someone or buy it
frown.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #81 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf
I'm also very much considering the hr-2 or sr-71 as my next purchase and would love to be able to demo it in my main setup comparing to the other amps I have. Relaxed home setting would be ideal.

I could loan you both of them to try out. Now is a good time as I don't have too much time for listening as the Summer winds down. Let me know.

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #82 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I could loan you both of them to try out. Now is a good time as I don't have too much time for listening as the Summer winds down. Let me know.

Wow, that would be awesome, after the demo I could loan you my Corda HA2 and Headmaster if you want to. I will PM you.
icon10.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #84 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
i will let you borrow the hr-2 anytime you want to, I am going to detroit at 5am tomorrow, if you want to go and then you can take home the hr-2 afterwards let me know. I have a extra seat in the TT for the trip..lol

wow, you guys are awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I would love to go on the trip but it would be very hard to get two Saturdays off from my wife
biggrin.gif
Time with the kids and all... extra seat? you mean the one in the back if there even is one there? I'm sure it would be even smaller then what I had in my Mitsubishi 3000
biggrin.gif
(It was actually perfect size the one time I rode in the back with two babes in my friends VR4
tongue.gif
)

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #85 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf
wow, you guys are awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I would love to go on the trip but it would be very hard to get two Saturdays off from my wife
biggrin.gif
Time with the kids and all... extra seat? you mean the one in the back if there even is one there? I'm sure it would be even smaller then what I had in my Mitsubishi 3000
biggrin.gif
(It was actually perfect size the one time I rode in the back with two babes in my friends VR4
tongue.gif
)

I am driving by myself, the back seat has some leg room, but the back window comes over the top of the back seat at about 5inchs...so headroom is out of the question. thats why I buy from todd the vinyl junkie...lol

whenever you want it, I am off next friday so I say we all do a mini meet at your place..lol come onnnn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back