Chicago area HP meet - November 17th - ChiUniFi 6.5
Nov 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #47 of 103
Quote:

I have been following DHC new Peptide release for IEMs so I would be interested in.  I didn't think DHC was making it available to the DIY market, at least yet.

You are correct, and Peter is still not sure if/when he will make it available.  I have been friendly with him for a couple years, and when I bought a pair of his old headphones, he surprised me by including some of the Peptide to make a cable for them as a congratulations.  I cleared it with him to bring the cable to the meet.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #49 of 103
Hey Gang,

I've got a meeting with the lady who runs the room to find out if there are any rules regarding food and such.  pretty sure there isnt.

But, I did do a quick look at the room and there are not a LOT of outlets.  7 actually in the room, 6 that are easily reachable.  So, if you have extension cords and power strips, please bring them.  I will probably run a strip or two from a connecting room.  

so, everyone think about what your bringing for our first meet in this room.  dont go TOO outlet crazy.  It may prove to be no issue at all.  But think about it.

Lastly, I was toying with the idea of setting up a speaker system in a connecting room.  any thoughts on this?  its a lot more work for me, but if people would be into it, I could do it, maybe... just an idea.  maybe too much.

what say you?

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #50 of 103
What would be the speaker setup?  Yes, we are all head-fiers/headphone enthusiasts, but most of us are also "audiophiles" write large, also loving conventional stereo.  (For some of us, love of stereo may even come first!)  So a stereo setup will certainly be appreciated.  In fact, it may serve as a great reference-creator for when people go back and forth between listening to headphones, to remind us what "regular" stereo sounds like from time to time.  (Like smelling coffee beans between colognes or perfumes, or a lemon palate cleanser between meals, etc.).

If this is simply an interest-check, then my vote is yes!  But Keith, don't go breaking your back when you've already bent over backwards to help make this thing happen.

In fact, if you don't already have a stereo system lined up (I didn't see one listed in your profile...) I volunteer my Paradigm Studio 10-based set-up...  I'm sure others attending have superior systems, but again I'll put it out there in case alternatives don't show up soon.  Note: I've been having some strange channel failure problems lately and haven't had time/funds to get the amp checked out (perhaps one of our sagely DIYers could take a look for me for free...) but the system mostly works.

Anyhow, someone, anyone, esp. Keith, let me know if you think I should bring my bookshelf speakers, amp (modded Music Hall), and sub (Velodyne).

I'll be there regardless, speaker room or not.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #51 of 103
This would be kind of neat to do.  I have a Sonic Impact Super T-amp that I got for $25 that would be fun to compare other systems.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #52 of 103
I could bring some acoustical panels to help out with the room acoustics and perhaps my 6SN7 tube preamp and some cabling. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #53 of 103
Keith if you decide to do it, I will bring my Leben instead of the Cary since the Leben is also a speaker amp.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #54 of 103
everyone,

ok, looks like we are all set up for the room.  the only thing that could go wrong, is that my boss might forget to give me the key to the room.  that would be bad, but I'll make sure it doesnt happen.  So here are a few things:

-Found out that there is public wifi for the room, so I didnt have to deal with setting up a guest wifi address.  So we can Post Away at the meet.
-Having food and drinks in the room is no problem.  Can anyone volunteer to bring some water/pop?  Steve is going to bring some nuts, but if anyone is willing to bring a bag of chips or something, that would be cool.  There is a fridge there that we can use as well for drinks.
-We should have enough outlets to power our gear, especially if I run some extension cords from a couple of rooms.  So again people, please bring some nice long cords if you have them.. better to have them, and not use them, then to be without.

ok, lastly, the speaker room.  If we do indeed go for it.  The speaker room is not horribly big, but it will fit a good amount of listeners I think.  It is bigger then arnolds store, but not as big as the meet room at the hotel in the summer.  also but the look of things, I think we will have under 20 people anyway.  

I was planning on bringing my Sansui AU-X901 as an amp, and my Emotiva erc2 as a cd player.  I hook those up balanced.  I hadnt decided on speakers. if someone else wants to bring those, I'd be happy with that.  less for me to haul in.  If people have other sources or pieces they would like to integrate, that would be fine with me.  I just thought it would be fun in the later part of the day maybe to get the speakers going.  If someone wants to bring a turntable, computer, squeezebox, we can rock that in the system as well.

Having said and offered all that, if someone else wants to be in charge of the speaker room, and what get set up, I'm all for it.  I may be trying to do too much for this meet, but I just get so excited.  

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #55 of 103
Quote:
What would be the speaker setup?  Yes, we are all head-fiers/headphone enthusiasts, but most of us are also "audiophiles" write large, also loving conventional stereo.  (For some of us, love of stereo may even come first!)  So a stereo setup will certainly be appreciated.  In fact, it may serve as a great reference-creator for when people go back and forth between listening to headphones, to remind us what "regular" stereo sounds like from time to time.  (Like smelling coffee beans between colognes or perfumes, or a lemon palate cleanser between meals, etc.).

If this is simply an interest-check, then my vote is yes!  But Keith, don't go breaking your back when you've already bent over backwards to help make this thing happen.

In fact, if you don't already have a stereo system lined up (I didn't see one listed in your profile...) I volunteer my Paradigm Studio 10-based set-up...  I'm sure others attending have superior systems, but again I'll put it out there in case alternatives don't show up soon.  Note: I've been having some strange channel failure problems lately and haven't had time/funds to get the amp checked out (perhaps one of our sagely DIYers could take a look for me for free...) but the system mostly works.

Anyhow, someone, anyone, esp. Keith, let me know if you think I should bring my bookshelf speakers, amp (modded Music Hall), and sub (Velodyne).

I'll be there regardless, speaker room or not.

I did have a small system in mind, but I will admit that I know nothing of the paradigm studio 10 set up.  If you are offering the whole setup, I am inclined to just let you set that room up.  we could insert some gear to try out as well.  I'd like to hear skylabs leben!  lol.  

What does everyone think?  

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #56 of 103
Quote:
I could bring some acoustical panels to help out with the room acoustics and perhaps my 6SN7 tube preamp and some cabling. 

Acoustic panels might be a good idea.  I've not set up a real stereo in that room before.  if its not too much trouble, it might help?

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #57 of 103
Thanks so much Keith. I like the idea of a speaker room for this one.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #58 of 103
Quote:
Acoustic panels might be a good idea.  I've not set up a real stereo in that room before.  if its not too much trouble, it might help?

Does anyone know what the wall materials made of, I have some eighth nerve corner panels that can be held up just with a push pin.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #59 of 103
Quote:
Does anyone know what the wall materials made of, I have some eighth nerve corner panels that can be held up just with a push pin.

I assume anyone, means me. lol.  I'll post a quick pic of the speaker room.  high ceilings, large windows.  There is a cork board on one wall, but it may not be where we need it.  I'd rather not push any pins in the walls.  Its actually one of the rooms I teach in.  We'll make it work though.  maybe come a bit early to try to get a look.  Meet starts at 10, I'll be there before then to do some last minute set up.  I do plan on setting up the room on friday night so It will be ready to go on Saturday.  I'll post a pic of the set up room after its done.  a teaser if you will.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #60 of 103
any comments on what we'd like to set up in the speaker room?  if not, I say lets bring in the paradigm set up this time.  

Maybe we can feature one persons speaker set up each meet?  that would keep the set up and tear down minimal.  just an idea.. 

what say you peeps???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back