Chicago area Headphone Meet - Feb 6th 2016 - ChiUniFi
Jan 21, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #46 of 233
I talked with Todd today and was a few days late to get the new Pass Labs headphone amplifier for our meet. He seemed pretty excited with its sound.

I also asked about the new HD800S but they now won't ship now until mid to late February.

Todd also mentioned he was supposed to get the new Audeze LCD4 but it has not arrived so no luck again.

:frowning2:

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #47 of 233
I talked with Todd today and was a few days late to get the new Pass Labs headphone amplifier for our meet. He seemed pretty excited with its sound.

I also asked about the new HD800S but they now won't ship now until mid to late February.

Todd also mentioned he was supposed to get the new Audeze LCD4 but it has not arrived so no luck again.

frown.gif

Nice attempts steve!  I guess we'll have to see those things at Axpona.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #48 of 233

frown.gif

Man, some really close misses. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #50 of 233
A couple more additions from me:
Bifrost Multibit
Fostex TH-X00
HE-500
HE-6

Can someone else bring their HE-6, please? I'd really like to compare with mine. I would be eternally grateful.

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #51 of 233
  A couple more additions from me:
Bifrost Multibit
Fostex TH-X00
HE-500
HE-6

Can someone else bring their HE-6, please? I'd really like to compare with mine. I would be eternally grateful.

Oooh a Bimby.  Looking forward to that.  I think Keith will be bringing his HE-6.  Or at least he has a pair.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #53 of 233
Also, if anybody has a nice 4-pin to dual 3-pin XLR, it would be awesome if you could bring it!!! :D

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #55 of 233
Also, if anybody has a nice 4-pin to dual 3-pin XLR, it would be awesome if you could bring it!!!
biggrin.gif

If no one has one, I can make one.

I should let FraGGler make one  :) since he's right there in Chicago and I am still subject to the weather being 2 hours south but I have a WyWires 4 pin XLR to dual 3 pin XLR I could bring.  I thought all new amps were basically the 4-pin, isn't the Wells 4 pin?

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #56 of 233
Also, if anybody has a nice 4-pin to dual 3-pin XLR, it would be awesome if you could bring it!!! :D

If no one has one, I can make one.

I should let FraGGler make one  :) since he's right there in Chicago and I am still subject to the weather being 2 hours south but I have a WyWires 4 pin XLR to dual 3 pin XLR I could bring.  I thought all new amps were basically the 4-pin, isn't the Wells 4 pin?

The Wells has two combo connectors. On each connector, you can attach a either 3-pin XLR via the outer contacts or put a 1/4" jack down the center, which will touch the inner contacts. I didn't even know they made jacks like this. Kind of a fancy trick, if you ask me. They look like this: http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-ncj9fi-s-combo-connector-xlr-1-4-stereo-jack-switching--092-045

It is worth noting that the XLRs on the Headtrip are about 6" away from one another, with a volume knob in the middle... Which is pretty far, compared to most amps. I'm sure many dual 3-pin adapters are meant to plug in to connectors that are about half an inch away from each other.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #57 of 233
The Wells has two combo connectors. On each connector, you can attach a either 3-pin XLR via the outer contacts or put a 1/4" jack down the center, which will touch the inner contacts. I didn't even know they made jacks like this. Kind of a fancy trick, if you ask me. They look like this: http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-ncj9fi-s-combo-connector-xlr-1-4-stereo-jack-switching--092-045

It is worth noting that the XLRs on the Headtrip are about 6" away from one another, with a volume knob in the middle... Which is pretty far, compared to most amps. I'm sure many dual 3-pin adapters are meant to plug in to connectors that are about half an inch away from each other.

Well that is an "interesting" design decision.  No matter, I can adjust the adapter for it.  Will anyone want to purchase said adapter at the end of the meet?  If so, I can adjust for aesthetic preferences.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #58 of 233

Well that is an "interesting" design decision.  No matter, I can adjust the adapter for it.  Will anyone want to purchase said adapter at the end of the meet?  If so, I can adjust for aesthetic preferences.

Yeah! I'm totally interested. I'll PM you.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #59 of 233

Those combo jacks are more commonly used as inputs.  My Scarlett 2i2, which I primarily use just as a DAC and occasionally  for measuring headphone mods, has 2 such combo jacks which can accept microphone, line level and instrument inputs.

Are the TRS jacks on the Wells for single ended stereo use or are they each a single balanced channel?

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #60 of 233

Those combo jacks are more commonly used as inputs.  My Scarlett 2i2, which I primarily use just as a DAC and occasionally  for measuring headphone mods, has 2 such combo jacks which can accept microphone, line level and instrument inputs.

Are the TRS jacks on the Wells for single ended stereo use or are they each a single balanced channel?

For the 1/4" TRS, each is a single-ended stereo output. Definitely not made for sensitive headphones though. Fostex and Denon models get about 3 or 4 clicks on the volume knob before it gets too loud, lol! 25W into 32 ohms ain't no joke. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back