Chicago area Headphone Meet - Feb 6th 2016 - ChiUniFi
Feb 6, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #226 of 233
  Zicam works for me if I start it RIGHT when I feel the first hint of a cold.  It's expensive but worth it for me.

You know it 
gs1000.gif
 And thanks for the suggestion! (It doesn't prevent colds for me, but I do find that it takes the edge off.)

And thanks everyone for the well-wishes and sympathies. I'm hope today's meet was as awesome in person as it looked like it would be on paper.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #227 of 233

Zicam works for me if I start it RIGHT when I feel the first hint of a cold.  It's expensive but worth it for me.

You know it :gs1000smile:  And thanks for the suggestion! (It doesn't prevent colds for me, but I do find that it takes the edge off.)

And thanks everyone for the well-wishes and sympathies. I'm hope today's meet was as awesome in person as it looked like it would be on paper.

We missed you buddy!

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #228 of 233
Hope everyone had a great meet! Really sad to have missed this one... Looking forward to impressions just the same. Maybe we can shoot for the fall? If any Milwaukee head-fiers would like to have a little get together before then I'm all ears :)

I'm in MKE as well. Hisoundfi and I were just talking about this at the meet. Shoot me a PM!

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #230 of 233
Can-Cheese?

Lol! So it's back to life now, eh? I thought I ruined that name for you at dinner, for sure. Hey, as long as everyone cleans their ears, Can-Cheese is all good!

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #231 of 233

I will miss the Teton :frowning2:

Well like any big expensive piece kit you need to own it for a while before you find the flaws and I'm afraid the Teton's flaws are fatal at least to me.

It is the best sounding amplifier for hd800's and lcd-X's by a mile but finding quiet tubes for it is pretty much mission impossible. The 2 tubes I did have that were quiet are no more cause they went up like a firework. They were my flagship tubes as well so bye bye $600.

My favorite purchase has slowly become my worst audio nightmare so I think it is a good lesson to let the placebo effect wear off on people. 20+ tubes, $2000, 0 quiet. Came from brent jesse, andy bowman and people who have a good reputation here on head-fi.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. Todd said I owned the peak/volcano for too long to be returned and I still have not sold that in 6 months... half priced.

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #232 of 233
Well like any big expensive piece kit you need to own it for a while before you find the flaws and I'm afraid the Teton's flaws are fatal at least to me.

It is the best sounding amplifier for hd800's and lcd-X's by a mile but finding quiet tubes for it is pretty much mission impossible. The 2 tubes I did have that were quiet are no more cause they went up like a firework. They were my flagship tubes as well so bye bye $600.

My favorite purchase has slowly become my worst audio nightmare so I think it is a good lesson to let the placebo effect wear off on people. 20+ tubes, $2000, 0 quiet. Came from brent jesse, andy bowman and people who have a good reputation here on head-fi.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. Todd said I owned the peak/volcano for too long to be returned and I still have not sold that in 6 months... half priced.

Sorry to hear that. Do you need to send it in for review with all the tube issues?

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #233 of 233
Sorry to hear that. Do you need to send it in for review with all the tube issues?

I already have. Still blowing fuses/ watching tubes go up in smoke. I have also come across silent tubes although it is very rare and they have still gone up in smoke. Other people have reported the same problems in the Teton thread, at least the microphonics. Maybe if you already have a large (several hundred) tube collection it is a great amp otherwise it is way too sensitive to tube quality. Maybe that is the price you pay for great sound I guess but it is too high of a price for me especially considering how high tube prices are right now.

All 6 of my brentt jesse 6sn7 tubes were fine in my peak/volcano. None are useable in the Teton. My 2 6sn7w's from Andy were silent but then my 422a and gec 6as7g went up in smoke and made them microphonic. Like I'm just plain out way too much money here at this point and the 422a was silent before it threw craps.

I'm thinking maybe a pass labs amp or hd800s with the peak/volcano as the hd800 is too bright for my liking. I really don't know at this point. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back