"Chiarra" Anyone else in the UK have one or is planning to??
Jun 17, 2003 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

london luke

100+ Head-Fier
Made the call today!!!

cant be assed to wait for any other "Super" amp to arrive!!

Going to copy "Pink Floyds" mods and see how my jecklin floats and HD600's like it.

Then a new source then can cable for the HD's.

Would like to discuss modding this amp as well as building the kit.

My input will be "finishing the kit with a nice single case to house both units.

Cheers

Luke

Jun 18, 2003 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 20
Well as to who owns one on here. As far as I know the list is:
Me
PinkFloyd
Nigel (occasional poster)
Russ (hasn't posted in some time)
and thats it, well untill you get yours ofcourse
biggrin.gif
Not too many of us though all owners have said they really like the amp in reviews and such. Sadly there is no way of knowing how it compares with the american amps.

Hope you enjoy the amp as much as the rest of us do. Also Mike (PinkFloyd) is very helpful in case you get into any problems.

MarK
(Wordworth)

Jun 19, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Russ (hasn't posted in some time)

Not sure if that's me, but I have one and I haven't posted in some time, so maybe it is. I have a Chiarra and I really like it. I like it as much as my Headroom Maxed Home and my HA-1, and better than the Ben Duncan Phones-01. Excellent amp.

Ross

Jun 24, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 20
it arrived today!! been sent off to Richard who is bulding it for me.

Going to copy "Pink Floyds" uprades. Think I have founf the correct size "Hammond cases for the amp and power supply.

Excited like a first date!!

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 20
Well its been along time....
But its nearly ready!!

I havent see it yet.
I found a fantastic single case for both units. Complete with a knob that looks (In the pics|) great.

Will have switched crossfeed (Thankyou very much Mike for all your help with this) And all of the Known "Pink Floyds" mods.

It should be ready by this time next week.

Going to be fired from a Marantz 63 ki with a few mods. Some "Ixos" gamma interconnets and my HD600 with stock cables(Will see what these "ZU" price in at) Also my Jecklin Floats 2 will be used.

I need to find out how to put pics of it direct into a post with using a link?????

Anyone able to help

Cheers

Luke

Jul 25, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 20
Luke, I think you will really enjoy your chiara amp, personally i love mine and listen to it most nights. The cases might be basic but the money is well spent in other areas. Let us know how it sounds.

Wordsworth

Jul 26, 2003 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 20
Wordsworth

This case was ordered from Italy..(probably rust and smells of cheap aftershave!!)

I realy want to take the Chiara to a new stage on the looks...It needs it!!

So how will I post pics???

Jul 26, 2003 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 20
I think you add them as you would normally using a attach file below. You then get a link when you post the thread...then edit the thread and copy this link and paste it in between the IMG tags (found with the font size, colour etc), then post the thread again and you should have a image displayed. If this doesn't work one of the moderators should be able to help.

Wordsworth

Jul 26, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 20
like me Wordsworth
wink.gif

Has anyone actually reviewed this amp yet? - I know it retails (in kit form at least) for about £100... i'm sort of interested after the personal praise that PinkFloyd has given it... but can I justify that £100... how does it stack up to a top-spec meta?

Thanks

Jul 26, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 20
To me it sounds great but sadly I don't have a very good baseline to judge it against. It obviously well exceeds the supermini v5 and is better than the Sostenuto which is very good. It you got a baseline for the Sostenuto it might be able to tell you the performance benefits. Though I do find it doesn't work so well with the A1000 this could be because of the 30ohm where as it sounds great with the HD580 and ER4S.

Wordsworth

Aug 26, 2003 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 20
Here's Luke's Chiarra, ready to roll.

Click on the image for a couple more pics.

Basically, I've changed the power supply to be +-12v rather than 15, to allow me to use the AD8620 chip (which is on a Brown Dog adapter to fit it into the DIP socket). I put bigger heatsinks on the PSU regulators because of the extra voltage drop, as the supplied ones were getting rather warm.

Also replaced the PSU regulator bypass caps with Elnas.

Added Mike's crossfeed board, and fitted a relay driven switch to allow switching of the crossfeed on and off.

I'm building one for myself (actually I built "my" Chiarra first, so I could iron out any glitches before building Luke's). No crossfeed as it stands, but again I have an AD8620 on a Brown Dog in there.

I'm fitting it into a single case, with a homebrew PSU based on LM3x7s rather than the 78xx/79xx. PSU is nearly finished - just waiting for one component to arrive.
If anyone (Duncan?) wants to borrow "my" Chiarra for an audition, then get in touch - we might be able to sort something out.

Finally, I must say that none of the mods are "my" ideas - they've been gleaned from various sources - Mike for the balance removal, and Andy Weekes (ALW) over on the Pink Fish Media forum for AD8620 and PSU tweaks.
I'm a "monkey see monkey do" kind of guy.
rolleyes.gif

R

Aug 26, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 20
Still havent heard it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will be posting a long report on this very soon I hope... Will be burning in as soon as possible.

It goes without saying.."Thankyou" Richard for taking the time and communicating with me so well about your ideas etc..

Also to Mike for helping with the "X feed" and other questions .

Its my first "head amp"!!

Sooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!

Luke

Aug 29, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 20
Are we allowed to swear on this forum?????

Maybe just a little "Bloody hell" will be ok!!!!! But realy wanting to use the big words to describe the amp in its flesh!!!

I will start a new thread about how the amp came about etc...but for the moment I am hunting out all my favourite musuc I havent been able to listen to LOUD!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice to meet you Richard...

Later

Ears in love Luke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back