Chi Unify 9 when and where?
May 31, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 35
Arnold Martinez of Tweak Studio is a possible source for the downtown Chicago but I have not confirmed anything with him.

Last year Brian from Essential Audio was at the meet but I have not asked him about considering hosting. I think the goal is to try and stay independent from a dealer. It would not be ChiUniFi if hosted by a dealer.

I talked with one vendor about a small fee rather than donating raffle prizes and they were open but we would need at least 4 at $200 or 5 if we tried to keep it lower. Could we get 5 vendors, I am not sure.

Is there enough people willing to put in deposits to cover potential shortages?

I would be willing to put in up to $200 for a possible shortage.

If we do not want to stay independent, let me know and I can see about Tweak Studio or Essential AudiO or other places if someone has contacts.

Agree. I know it probably sounded strange when I said a car dealership, but I was being serious.

I don't know what you think of this, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Simply have "Sponsored by Smith Honda and Ford" or whatever on any signage and on the forum posts. Think about it. You have a bunch of people who generally have above average incomes talking about and coming to this event, all from that area. The visitors would see it as a kind gesture for them to donate the money for the room. These people with generally above average incomes now have this message in their minds of this dealership and are usually from near the area. I think it wouldn't difficult to convince a dealership to sponsor in whole or in part.

The real question is, would ChiUnFi be ChiUnFi if it was sponsored by a dealership?

Another idea, although it is moderately unethical. If a hotel gives discounts to rooms for members of a certain company, I could whip up some fake business cards and we could snag that discount.

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 35
I don't see having a sponsor to be a big deal at all.  its not like they would be selling timeshares to us.  they would just take credit for donating the space.  and if they donate, they should indeed get the credit.  All we really need is a big enough room.  If you think you can get some space at the car dealer, go for it.  I personally doubt they would do it.  who would want a bunch of audio nuts with weird gear taking up space?  Maybe if we were a car club they would do it, but I have my doubts.  BUT, I don't want to poo poo it.  if you think it can happen, ask.  never know till you ask.

I really do want the summer meet to happen, but we also have to look to the future.  where we are screwed is the fact that we have no budget.  We need to look into building that budget back up.  Getting space donated is great, but we will still need a way to generate some funds.  at least for a while.

It can be assumed (I assume) that we will charge a small entry fee to attend the meet?  I say something like $10-20 bucks.  I am not sure if we will have any vendors donating raffle prizes at this point.  if we do, that will add to the kitty.  If we do this for the next few meets, we can at least have something to work with.  When we can again cover our costs, we can get rid of the entry fee.

I know some may not be willing or able to swing the fee, but we are self sustaining here.  I feel like a public radio commercial.  

so there we are.  where we started.  needing a location.

I can once again offer up the western springs location.  it is slightly smaller then we need, but it would be free to us.  and we can utilize that side room a bit more maybe.  I would just have to see if the date is available.  speaking of, how would Saturday June 27th work if it happens?

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 35
No offense but you guys and gals are trippin about having a sponsor host the event. We did not have an event in St.Louis for almost a decade till jds labs stepped in this year. Tweak studios would be DOPE. I love TT's.  

I'm also fine with a $10-20 fee, just make sure there is decent parking. Will bring a nice stat vs. dynamic vs. planar setup.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 35
I went a car dealership donating the money, not the space.

But the western springs room sounds okay to me, especially if it is free.

That said, you said it might be too small. How big is it?

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #22 of 35
we've had meets there before.  steve, how many did we get in there last time?

The last fall one was not too crowded but the 1st one where you took a picture after setup seemed that maybe 20 plus small tables for people and equipment.

It is a nice size for a smaller meet. It would not hold 30 or so unless the small side room was also used. Jack has been in their a couple of times with his realizer.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #23 of 35
I do not have any new equipment and none of the outstanding orders are scheduled to arrive in the next couple of months.

The only thing new is using Roon to manage my digital music collection. Right now I am rediscovering my music. :)

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 35
I don't have any free saturdays in july to give up unfortunately.  Then we're looking at august.  which just seems late.  I'd like to go for the 27th if enough can come.  Should I put out a meet annoucement for that date and see who can make it?

If it is indeed too fast we can shoot for another date in july.  I may not be there, but thats not a big deal if its better for all.

Steve, would there be any vendor interest?

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 35
I don't have any free saturdays in july to give up unfortunately.  Then we're looking at august.  which just seems late.  I'd like to go for the 27th if enough can come.  Should I put out a meet annoucement for that date and see who can make it?

If it is indeed too fast we can shoot for another date in july.  I may not be there, but thats not a big deal if its better for all.

Steve, would there be any vendor interest?

I would probably say no on the vendors but I might be able to see about getting some equipment in. HiFiMAN has been good but there are more regional shows with headphone sections now. There is one at the Capitol Audiofest, another large CA show and there is the first non US CanJam in London. A group of 25-35 headfiers just does nit get much attention anymore.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #27 of 35
Not a big deal. Vendors have their priorities as well. So I'll put out an announcement tomorrow about having the meet in western springs. If there isn't enough interest we can just bag it. Or. It will just be small, which is fine with me as well. I'll post a fee as well. How much? $15? $10?

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #30 of 35
Glad to see this is moving forward. If there is anything that I can do to help, let me know.

Unfortunately I don't have any epic gear to bring. Might bring my iPod Video > Fiio E11 > MDR-1R rig but I don't know.

Anyway, let me know if there is anything at all that I can do to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back