Chi-Uni-Fi 7.5 - Chicago Area Meet - Nov 2nd
Nov 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #91 of 107
Well I knew the odds were against it, but I officially can't come this year. Pity as I loved this venue. Have fun folks! Hope to see some good pics.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #92 of 107

I was thinking a lot / semi-concerned about this, too.  Do people at meets generally set up their gear for sharing using their own music, or do people usually use their own (transportable) source for trying things out?  I have a really limited FLAC selection appropriate for this level of equipment, and it is almost entirely limited to stuff like electronic music off Bandcamp.  I would be borderline embarrassed if a classical music lover wanted to demo my gear using the music I listen to.

I would think that effective testing & demoing would be done using music/source files with which the listener is highly familiar.

I will have a PC, anyone can load any music files on it to play, or can connect their own source to my amp.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #93 of 107
  OK, tomorrow is the day.  I will be getting to the location about 9:30.  hopefully that is enough time for others to set up as well.  I'm going tonight to put the room together.

Haven't seen anyone volunteer to bring any food or drinks.  If your willing, a simple couple bags of chips or a case of water goes a long way.  Think about it.

I will bring a case of water and a couple bags of chips.  Would be great if one or two others could supplement.  Definitely need some munchies since we run through lunch.  

I will bring three 12 packs of Pepsi products, 2 bags of pretzels and water.  Will bring a cooler and will pick up ice.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #94 of 107
I was thinking a lot / semi-concerned about this, too.  Do people at meets generally set up their gear for sharing using their own music, or do people usually use their own (transportable) source for trying things out?  I have a really limited FLAC selection appropriate for this level of equipment, and it is almost entirely limited to stuff like electronic music off Bandcamp.  I would be borderline embarrassed if a classical music lover wanted to demo my gear using the music I listen to.

I would think that effective testing & demoing would be done using music/source files with which the listener is highly familiar.

+1

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #98 of 107
I am also not opposed to taking up a collection for a couple pizzas to be delivered around 12-1. we have another room to keep them in away from equipment. We can all decide while we're there I suppose. smaller group this year, about 15 give or take. should be cool.

Also, don't forget the exchange table. I think I'll remember to bring some things.

I stopped by the store to get some snacks/stuff to contribute:  2 bags of tortilla chips, 2 tubs of Jack's Salsa, a fridge pack of Coke Zero.  Also grabbed a thing of Purrell hand sanitizer, in case we'd like to put that to use.  Also grabbed some boxes of disposable plastic silverware & plates, in case there's a need for it.

Concerning the food / ordering, I'd be in for chipping in for something, and I think it'd be great to keep the chip crunching in a non-listening room, but if there's going to be a an unofficial lunch break for hot food, it'd be nice to not have to leave the gear room and instead just do it in a food-restricted area/corner of it.  The snacks could hold me over just fine if there's an actual no-food rule in place for the room.  Just my 2 cents.
  Hi I'll bring my Schiit combo tmr afternoon. Not sure how early in the afternoon. Do I need to bring my own laptop? 

It sounds like we could use as many USB-host-equipped devices as possible - it would probably be good if you brought it. I don't have a laptop, but after seeing the pic of the room that Keith posted and the number of individual tables, I'm gonna go ahead and bring my nettop and small 1280x1024 monitor to host my stuff a bit better/easier.  Will bring along an extra folding table in my car in case we're strapped for table space and it becomes an imposition.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #99 of 107
I have decided to bring my Sonic Impact Super T amp and my modded T50RPs. I have an XLR to banana adapter so people can try their balanced headphones on it. I hope to be ther 9:30ish to setup.

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #100 of 107
for those concerned about what music to bring and in what format to bring it in.. I understand.  I was the same way when I first started going to meets.  Know that everyone setting up gear will have some kind of source. and will i'm sure have at least something you like.  most recently there have been a lot of computers as sources going into DACs, so you may be able to switch your computer in if the owner is willing.  They will likely have no problem with this, but ASK first.  some computers don't play nice with plugging and unplugging things.  But don't forget to bring along a cd if it is one you really want to hear.  almost all computers still have disc drives.  and don't forget your iPods either.  there are a LOT of ways to hook up at these things.  don't fret too much.  Not all of us demand only flac or HD music files.  I've got some regular old 320mp3s and they sound great.

look at this as a chance to hear some new music.  Ask whoevers gear it is if they have xxx kind of music on their rigs if you don't find it.

By the way, I am old school, and I am bringing my cd player as a source.  I am only using the balanced out, so if anyone wants to share my source, there will be unused RCA, optical, and s-pdif ports.

So with all this gear talk, I have packed up, and my final gear list is:

Emotiva ERC2 as balanced source
RSA Lightning amp
HE-400

Computer as source
schiit Magni/Modi stack
HE-400 (with Fragglers adaptor)
Denon AHD 2000

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #101 of 107
working hard to get laptop setup before meet! 

hopefully i'll be done in the next few hours.

anyways, i should have a nice playlist when i'm all done.

and bringing about 20k of my songs out of like 40k that i have (alot of mainstream). a small playlist with high res stuff. 

i am bringing mytek 192, gsx mk2, and my headphones.

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #102 of 107
I have decided to bring my Sonic Impact Super T amp and my modded T50RPs. I have an XLR to banana adapter so people can try their balanced headphones on it. I hope to be ther 9:30ish to setup.

In that case, I'll bring a pair of (still) stock Fostex to compare. I've finally found a replacement AKG K501 and will bring it too in case anyone wants to compare with K702.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #105 of 107
I'm glad you guys had fun. I wasn't able to come today, but I'll be looking forward to meet #8 next year
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back