Chi-Fi: How it Stands | The Origin of Moondrop HiFi Smartphone
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sha1rholder

New Head-Fier
This post is about social science analysis of Chi-Fi, world Hi-Fi market, and a novel audiophile smartphone product. If this post is not suitable for this thread, please kindly help to transfer it to a suitable thread, thank u!

As a Chinese audiophile, I am very concerned about the development of "chi-fi", and have made a mind map to explain how chi-fi has gained a foothold and how did the Moondrop HiFi Smartphone came into being.

I hope this will help you understand the development of chi-fi, if you are also interested in it🫠

1714086990549.png

Don't mind asking me any questions. I may not reply in time though.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 7
While that’s a very complex chart, I do agree that ChiFi tends to be most competitive at the lower to mid level of the market, but a lot of that has to do with establishing brand identity and a legacy of making quality products.

MoonDrop has been around for a while and has released a lot of products that have rightfully earned a lot of praise from the audiophile community. They’ve targeted value with most of their products, but have gradually introduced higher end and more expensive products as they’ve built up the brand cache to allow them to do so.

Hifiman is another great example of building up their brand and doing it right.

Other Chinese brands, such as Music Master or Timsok, have tied to enter the market directly at the high end, and I think that’s a much less successful tactic for the western market. What would I pay the same amount for a Music Master or Timsok headphone as something from Audeze who has a legacy of quality products?

As far as the Moondrop phone goes, it’s interesting that they made it a phone and not a DAP. If it works as a DAP without having to activate it as a phone that’s just as well, as the price is lower than many DAPs. I wouldn’t buy it to use as a phone as I’m solidly in the Apple camp, but if I ever wanted a DAP it would be certainly worth considering.

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 7
As a Chinese audiophile, I am very concerned about the development of "chi-fi", and have made a mind map to explain how chi-fi has gained a foothold and how did the Moondrop HiFi Smartphone came into being.
There’s really no such thing as “chi-fi” and your “mind map” seems to be irrelevant because high fidelity does not necessitate “advanced technology”. The highest levels of audible fidelity were achievable 30+ years ago, in the 1980’s and 1990’s, hardly advanced technology today and the highest fidelity audio products were all made (at least in part) in china and/or other Asian countries. The only real difference is the marketing, Chinese/Asian made products being marketed as European/American products, as opposed to Chinese/Asian made products actually marketed as Chinese or Asian.

G

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Will TikTok be any less stupid if the government makes the Chinese sell it to an American company?

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 7
There’s really no such thing as “chi-fi” and your “mind map” seems to be irrelevant because high fidelity does not necessitate “advanced technology”. The highest levels of audible fidelity were achievable 30+ years ago, in the 1980’s and 1990’s, hardly advanced technology today and the highest fidelity audio products were all made (at least in part) in china and/or other Asian countries. The only real difference is the marketing, Chinese/Asian made products being marketed as European/American products, as opposed to Chinese/Asian made products actually marketed as Chinese or Asian.

G
Headphone technology is still improving, a lot.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Will TikTok be any less stupid if the government makes the Chinese sell it to an American company?
Latest news is that ByteDance (the Chinese owner) would rather let it shut down in the US than divest. LibsOfTikTok will have to change her handle....flat Earthers, anti-vaxxers, and urine therapy promoters will just have to be from other sources in the world. Also pretty sure that muckbang and awful food hacks will continue to survive.
Headphone technology is still improving, a lot.
Maybe wireless technologies: BT improving its bandwidth and protocols. But it is funny how some new designs with transducers are borrowed from 70s technology (IE planar technology).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back