Chess=Fi?
Jun 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dvw

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone play chess and collect chess set here. I haven't played for awhile. Now I only played with my son. I don't know enough about chess set but I do own several sets. I bought them during my travel. I have metal, stone and even bone chess set. I will post some picture if anyone is interested.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Anyone play chess and collect chess set here. I haven't played for awhile. Now I only played with my son. I don't know enough about chess set but I do own several sets. I bought them during my travel. I have metal, stone and even bone chess set. I will post some picture if anyone is interested.

I have been playing chess in childhood, but quited it. Though beautiful chess sets look cool even for those who don't play at all :)) I think your pictures would be appreciated!

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 6
These are three of the sets I acquired

This is a brass set. It came with a leather box and a leather board.

This set is made out of cow bone. Ribs I think because of the slight curvature of the pieces. The theme is Chinese empire. The costume is from the Ching Dynasty. It came in a silk box.

This is also the Chinese empire theme. I think the costume is Han dynasty. This is made with resin which is like a heavy plastic.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks. That's the one that get used the most. I have more theme based chess set. Even though the chessman are interesting in theme based chess set, they tend to be distracting. The Staunton set are easier to play. I also have standard tournament set, but they are boring. The metal set is the best among all my chess set. This one is a vintage 60 set made in Italy.

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Even though the chessman are interesting in theme based chess set, they tend to be distracting. The Staunton set are easier to play.

That's for sure, theme based chess sets are more aestetical than practical things :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back