Chesky,Binaural Recordings??
Nov 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mikek200

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any head-fiers familiar with the above recordings?
Can anyone recommend some of the newer recordings ,and how much better,do they sound ,compared to a "standard" recordings/cg,s
Any help will be greatly appreciated,and any recommendations for specific cd,s are welcome,as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 16
I have a few of them:

CC Coletti, Wycliff Gordon, Amber Rubarth, Bucky Pizzarelli and Jazz in the New Harmonic

1st of all they are Chesky recordings so good SQ, but not a lot of dynamics, they are all very "quiet" recordings.

2nd the binaural aspect is good, but not enough to buy just because of that.

You need to like the music regardless of the binaural and if you do then the binaural aspect makes it very enjoyable

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 16
R_,
Excellent reply
I might be in trouble then,I just ordered 5 cd,which I picked from the Chesky website,but ordered them from Amazon.
One cd was..$.01 ?
All 5 cd,s were from artists I,ve never heard of,but are in a genre,I prefer,..Jazz

Many Thanks,
Mike

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 16
R_,
Excellent reply
I might be in trouble then,I just ordered 5 cd,which I picked from the Chesky website,but ordered them from Amazon.
One cd was..$.01 ?
All 5 cd,s were from artists I,ve never heard of,but are in a genre,I prefer,..Jazz

Many Thanks,
Mike

You should be fine as long as you aren't expecting fusion jazz

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 16
No,I,m not into Fusion Jazz,but I,m open to try it
I listen to mostly classical,Jazz,70,s rock,Movie Sound Tracks,especially Hans Zimmer
If you can,I,d appreciate any suggestions,you can make.

Mike

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 16
  No,I,m not into Fusion Jazz,but I,m open to try it
I listen to mostly classical,Jazz,70,s rock,Movie Sound Tracks,especially Hans Zimmer
If you can,I,d appreciate any suggestions,you can make.

Mike

Not sure what kind of Jazz you are asking for, but here is some of each:

Fusion Jazz:  Weather Report and Mahavishnu Orchestra - might as well start at the beginning
Straight Jazz but still new:  Christian McBride 
Semi Experimental but great SQ:  Nick Bartsch's Ronin

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 16
R-,
Thanks for the recommendations
I'll pick out,one or two,and order them

TNX
Mike

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 16
These recordings are a little gimmicky to me. The SQ is spectacular, really impressive but I can't help it, I have listened to both discs I own only once. The localization of the sound is superb and nothing made with regular recoding technique will likely ever match this but (again
wink.gif
) the technical aspects should not be more important than the music itself. I have the binaural sampler and a Jazz album by Alexis Cole "Kiss in the dark". Problem with the Jazz vocals is that the instruments are much too loud or the voice too low/quiet, the balance just seems off. I guess the singer should have been closer to the mike-head than the rest of the band. I'm not sure if they were placed in an equal distance or what was the reason for the way the recording sounds now on the CD. I have 2 Japanese recordings of Alexis Cole which she sold at her concert a few month ago at the Kitano in NYC and these "conventional" CD's do sound much more balanced to me. Just my personal preference.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 16
Icebear,
Thanks for your input
Gimmicky-are you saying that all chesky cd'ies are "gimmicky?,or just the ones you ordered.
The "Kiss in the Dark",is en route,along with a few others ,Guess I will find out ,soon enough

Mike

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 16
Personally I really like my Chesky binaurals. Great SQ, and soundstage and localization and separation is just phenomenal. Of course it could be because it lends itself so well to my preferred genre of acoustic music. If it's a gimmick I hope they keep it comin'. Would love to hear some more popular mainstream artists recorded in binaural.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 16
  Icebear,
Thanks for your input
Gimmicky-are you saying that all chesky cd'ies are "gimmicky?,or just the ones you ordered.
The "Kiss in the Dark",is en route,along with a few others ,Guess I will find out ,soon enough

Mike

I have a quite a few Chesky CD's but these are NOT binaural recordings. I like them a lot.

I have only the 2 binaural CD's which I commented on and these are not among my favorite recordings.
The sampler has some examples e.g. barber, which are LOL fun and truly impressive for the technical aspects of it but for me it's a gimmick.
I will most likely not explore their binaural offerings any further.

I'm curious about your impression on the Alexis Cole album. Let me know how you like it.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 16

I have a quite a few Chesky CD's but these are NOT binaural recordings. I like them a lot.

I have only the 2 binaural CD's which I commented on and these are not among my favorite recordings.
The sampler has some examples e.g. barber, which are LOL fun and truly impressive for the technical aspects of it but for me it's a gimmick.

I'm curious about your impression on the Alexis Cole album. Let me know how you like it.

I will icebear..,

I,m waiting on a new amp,a KGST,which should be coming in,around mid-December unless there are more delays

Am I correct in assuming,that not all Chesky cd are binaural????

Shockdoc-thanks for your reply,
I to am into acoustic guitar,I studied/played it, for about 12 years,when I was younger..

Tnx,
Mike

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 16
No not all are binaural. Binaural microphones are a relatively new invention. Go to HD Tracks and type Chesky Binaural in the search engine and you can listen to clips from various cd's.

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 16

I'm curious about your impression on the Alexis Cole album. Let me know how you likgOT

Got  4-5 out of the 5 I ordered,which came all in one day,knows,
The first one I picked out to test,was:Alexis  Cole>"A Kiss In The Dark"
I like it,a lot,especially,A Kiss In The Dark,,Limousine Blues,Chicago,That Toddlin Town,Nobody knows when your down & out.

When I get the new amp,going to review all of CD's,and give you my impressions on all of them---...>>>>-,
Many Thanks
Mike

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 16

Hi,
  Thanks for checking out my recordings!  To record A Kiss in the Dark, I was practically kissing the binaural head mic, and the other instruments were Really far away! That's why the sax has so much more reverb, and the voice is dry. The sax is echoing in the room, and the voice is not.  It was challenging with that instrumentation.  Our second binaural recording, Dazzling Blue on Chesky addresses some of those issues by changing to percussion from drums, flute instead of sax, and a few speakers in the back of the room, pointed away from the band and the mic, to give the voice some reverb.  It's a challenging but rewarding recording technique.  Almost like learning to play a new instrument.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back