Check this - WOLFSON WM8759
Aug 31, 2003 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mirkot

New Head-Fier
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/8/prweb75711.php

WOLFSON WM8759 STEREO HEADPHONE DAC OFFERS SUPERIOR AUDIO PERFORMANCE ON LOW POWER
Wolfson Micro. is lowering cost and turning up the performance on low-power 24-bit stereo DAC with integrated headphone driver particularly suited for use in the next generation of portable and home music players, and digital televisions

WOLFSON WM8759 STEREO HEADPHONE DAC OFFERS SUPERIOR AUDIO PERFORMANCE ON LOW POWER

San Diego, US and Edinburgh, UK (PRWEB) August 11, 2003 -- Wolfson Microelectronics plc today debuted the WM8759, a low-power 24-bit stereo DAC with integrated headphone driver particularly suited for use in the next generation of portable and home music players, and digital televisions. The WM8759 provides superior sound quality with up to 50mW headphone power, supporting 16- to 24-bit word data inputs at up to 192kHz sampling rate.

Operating on split analog/digital power supplies, the WM8759 allows very low power consumption (as low as 20mW on 2.7V supplies, less than 10uA in standby, but supporting large output power from the headphone driver. The device has been rated at 100dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), "A" weighted at 48 kHz, with –88dB THD driving a line load and –72dB THD driving 16 Ohm headphones.

"Audio performance on headphones has become an increasingly significant issue for the next generation of both portable and home digital entertainment systems," said David Milne, Wolfson’s CEO and managing director. "The WM8759 gives designers a greater level of performance options to choose from at affordable prices."

The WM8759 includes a hardware control interface for selection of audio data formats, a serial interface port, digital interpolation filters, and multi-bit sigma delta modulators. The device operates on 2.7V to 5.5V supplies and features a low-power standby mode controlled by a dedicated pin.

Price and Availability
The WM8759 is available in a 14-pin SOIC and currently priced at $1.63 (U.S.) in quantities of 10,000.

About Wolfson
Wolfson Microelectronics plc is a privately held, award winning, fabless semiconductor company based in Edinburgh, UK. Wolfson develops and markets high-performance mixed-signal semiconductors for multimedia and communications applications worldwide. The company currently has sales offices in the USA, Japan and Taiwan.

Sep 1, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 7
sounds potentially tasty, who volunteers to buy a batch of 10,000 for the group?
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 7
72dB THD in 16Ohm load? no thanks..

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Wolfson makes the DAC used in the iPod by the way. Incidentally I measured the iPod with RMAA last week and it came out really nice, far better than I thought. And iPod sounds good as we know... Still, I wouldn't use it to actually drive headphones but for line out it should be more than fine.

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 7
yes, as a line out it is fine.. Wolfson multichannel codec is also being used on Terratec Aureon Sky and Space cards and Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 (they are the same) and measures very good.. they're on the same level like M-Audio Revo..

Sep 2, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 7
By the way I think you can buy them in less than 10,000 quantities. From Avnet, Allied, All-American or another of those 'A' suppliers... Hm, I wonder if they all start with A just to get to the front of the phone book / business directory / Yellow Pages. I mean, sometimes when I get a package by one of the big carriers it is handled by "A & A Contract Customs Brokers"... Sure... That A & A stands for something other than "I am on the first page!".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back