Check out this MP3 streamer/server
Nov 18, 2003 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

charlesb

New Head-Fier
I've had a "slimp3" music server for some time and I love it. The folks at slim devices have raised the bar on their music server:

Wireless connectivity
Digital output
Headphone connection!

I am impressed that the device is just $299, and the look is getting more professional.

I have the old wired slimp3 gadget and am a -very- satisfied customer. The new version (Squeezebox) is worth a look:

slimdevices.com

Nov 18, 2003 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Thanks. I hadn't realized they introduced a new version. Saw them at a Macworld a couple years ago. Nice to have options for Windows, OS X, Linux. My one question is I wonder why they still require transcoding from AAC and Ogg to MP3 for playback.

Nov 18, 2003 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Thanks. I hadn't realized they introduced a new version. Saw them at a Macworld a couple years ago. Nice to have options for Windows, OS X, Linux. My one question is I wonder why they still require transcoding from AAC and Ogg to MP3 for playback.

I think (some hardware type here can correct me) that the devices, both the original and the new one, contain a chip that is an MP3>analog D-to-A converter. That is, the hardware device expects an input in the form of an MP3 file. Therefore, conversion to MP3 is required as the final step before playback. AFAIK, there are no AAC or Ogg D>A chips available.

The only issues I have with the software AAC>MP3 conversion are:

Uses more cpu. No big deal.
But, much worse, the slimp3/Squeezebox will not directly play any music downloaded from the Apple Music store, since that AAC music is encrypted
frown.gif
. So far, Apple has refused to deal with 3rd parties to resolve this issue. You have to rip the music to a CD and then re-import from a CD in MP3 form into the iTunes music library so the slimp3/Squeezebox can play the music. This is a tedious work-around and I am sure that someone will provide a hack to overcome this problem, or perhaps Apple will convince their record company partners to make a legitimate means available for devices like the Squeezebox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back