Check out DJ Krush!
Feb 2, 2004 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
I've been a big Radiohead fanatic for a while (way too long) and while I've tried to find other music to listen to other than Radiohead, it's been too hard to find something that is quite as enjoyable. Why listen to good music if I can listen to great music with Radiohead?

Anyways, I've been browsing through a bunch of older albums that my roommate ripped and left on my computer to find something new to listen to, and I found some DJ Krush.

DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo - Ki-Oku is a great album. It mixes trip-hop/electronica with some great jazz. Really chill album with good beats and flow.

While it's not going to replace my Radiohead collection, it's something new to divert my attention away. I really recommend it for any of those random dl'ers looking for something new to listen to.

Feb 3, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 13
I agree that DJ Krush is great... better than Radiohead
evil_smiley.gif

seriously though... Radiohead has made some good music, but there is a LOT of other stuff out there...

I do have a slightly biased musical taste myself though, so I'm one to talk... but if you like DJ Krush he has a lot of material out there... I especially like the couple songs he did with Esthero... other stuff that is similar to DJ Krush (abstract hip hop) would be some of DJ Shadow's stuff, DJ Vadim, etc... someone with more knowledge in the genre can probably hook you up better than I can...

anyways, I'm off to listen to some Thievery Corporation
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
you don't listen to anything but radiohead?

I don't think that's quite so unusual. I didn't listen to anything but Gratetful Dead for a while. Then again, they had 30+ years of live shows so it was really difficult to get bored.

Feb 3, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 13
wow.
I just can't do any one thing for that long, I get bored. To each his own though.
biggrin.gif

Thievery Corporation is incredible. I saw them at Cochella(over the White Stripes) and they would have been my favorite show had not The Mars Volta completely blew me away. Definitely the groovingest portion.

Feb 3, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 13
so jealous... havent had the chance to see them live yet
frown.gif

Feb 4, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 13
I've listened to some of DJ Krush's stuff and it is pretty good. Supposedly DJ Spooky's stuff is suppose to be similar. If you like DJ Krush, I'd definitely check out DJ Shadow and UNKLE - Psyence Fiction. Since you're a big Radiohead fan, you'll love Rabbit In Your Headlights off of the UNKLE CD. It is a collaboration between Thom Yorke and DJ Shadow (in fact, the whole CD is mostly Shadow's music with guest vocalists).

Feb 4, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 13
Check out stuff on the Ninja Tune Label. Cold Krush Kuts is a 2 disc mix CD. One disc is by DJ Krush and the other by Coldcut. Very nice!

Feb 5, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Feb 6, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
you don't listen to anything but radiohead?

Not in the past 3-4 months
smily_headphones1.gif
. I had a Pink Floyd phase, Tool, RHCP, Jazz, and Classical phase right before this Radiohead phase. Those only lasted about 2-3 weeks each.. well Pink Floyd probably about a month.

It's not like I listened to Radiohead 100% of the time, only about 90% of the time (older Pink Floyd and a lot of jazz make up the other 10%). Like the poster said about Grateful Dead, I have about 25 Radiohead concerts, all their albums and their B-Sides collection. Right now I'm listening to Glastonbury 2003 Radiohead, The Gloaming
wink.gif

Now No Surprises.

Personally I'm not very into electronica, but I can understand why others would be. I enjoy hearing a band with all the instruments over recordings, and I love listening to live concerts. I have a couple DJ Shadow albums - I prefer DJ Krush to DJ Shadow from what I've heard.

Radiohead has the most diverse music out of any band I've heard yet, and they're still around/touring so I suspect that's probably why I've been so attached to them. If you listen to stuff 10 years ago and now, they're completely different bands. It's easier to get sick of bands that have the same sound (the Strokes.. cough cough)

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Ohoen
What the hell happened to him? He was a voice of reason in the wilderness as far as I'm concerned. I'll second the Ninjatune rec., to stay on topic.

He stopped coming here because he felt that people were being anti-homosexual. I think it's pretty gay to leave over something as trivial as that.

Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
I had a Pink Floyd phase, Tool, RHCP, Jazz, and Classical phase right before this Radiohead phase....
...It's easier to get sick of bands that have the same sound (the Strokes.. cough cough)

You sound like you like the same types of music as me. I would suggest trying to start a Incubus phase. Now hear me out....
I know that they have an unfortunate "teenage girl" connotation due to recent efforts and the lead singers tendancy to take his shirt off, but their earlier stuff is among the best rock music I have ever heard.
Enjoy Incubus, is complete funk-jazz rock. Like the RHCP but with tinges of metal, and more in the "stoner" direction.(ie artistic) SCIENCE hides masterful songwriting and sonic depth behind seemingly hard-core funk-metal.(check out Summer Romance it is what won me over) Make Yourself further dwelves in the "nu-metal" direction, but unlike others in the genre(limp bizkit, creed, etc) is actually worth the plastic they used to press the cd on. I would suggest spending a good amount of time with their earlier works before moving on to later, otherwise it is easy to write them off as "mainstream"(re. crap) More than anything else, I respect them for their ability to completely transform their sound with each album and still maintain quality output.(Though Morning View was a little too "Jack Johnsonesq" acoustic guitar vanilla-funk for my tastes)

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 13
I will but in this time you sould try DJ. RAP ("bad girl")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back