Cheapo IEM Reviews (Wicked, Marshmallows)
Aug 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Sparky14

100+ Head-Fier
Cheapo IEM Models Tested

Wicked WI-2101 Jawbreakers ($11.24 at Buy.com)
Wicked WI-2300 Little Earbuds ($17.24 at Buy.com)

Reference Cheapo OEM: JVC Marshmallows
Reference Not So Cheapo IEMs: Sennheiser IE7, Super.fi 5eb

Source: 256-320 mbps MP3s straight from Netbook headphone jack

I picked up a couple of bargain IEMs to play with this weekend. I’d never heard of the Wicked Earphones brand, but after I got home I looked them up and found them on Buy.com.

I’ve long been a fan of the Marshmallows as a budget IEM. Pretty darn good sound and comfort for <$20.

First review is on the “Little” earbuds. “Little” is correct. These are very small earbuds, both in size and in sound. I cannot find anything positive to say about this earbud, sound is muffled and has little detail. They are slightly better than a stock earbud, so my wife did like them just because of their sound being a little better than her stock buds. But, my Head-Fi friends, avoid these earphones.

Second review is on the Jawbreakers, with the packaging promising to “feel the bass”. Having the Superfi 5EBs, I was expecting a low cost version of that bass heavy IEM. Honestly, I didn’t “feel the bass”, nor did I hear it. Surprisingly though, I did hear a very good midrange, quite a bit clearer than the Marshmallows and a better vertical soundstage. The Marshmallows easily win the bass category though. But the Jawbreakers are very respectable for $11.

One comment though, the Jawbreakers tips are quite floppy. Could be a good candidate for aftermarket tips and perhaps a bass improvement as a result.

Once I was done, I plugged back in the IE7s. Holy cow, what a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back