Cheapish in ear-canal earphones
Mar 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

varkunus

Head-Fier
Hello there,

I used to have some senhieser cx300s but around 6 months ago they broke due to flimsy wiring I think and I have never got round to replacing them - until now. It seems the contenders are the sony MDR EX70LP's, sen cx300 (again) and cx500. So I was wondering which is likely to offer the best sound (I like quite a strong low range) and also, which is likely to last because the flimsy wires won't break. I don't understand why a company such as sen makes decent headphones and then skimps on cheap and flimsy wiring so that they always break the only explanation I can think of is money, but that's enough rambling. So could you give me a lowdown on the three headphone models mentioned and then make me a recommendation and the best (and cheapest) place to buy from online (wiling to use ebay shops).

Cheers guys,

Rich

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 29
X2 on RE2. However you probably won't get that bass quantity you are accustomed from Sennheisers or Sonys, unless you EQ.

As for the CX 300, all Sennheiser headphones comes with standard two year warranty. Send them in for repair.

Odd about the cable though. My partner has a CX 300. She bought it exactly two years ago and it is still working. She uses it regularly as her office headphones for the past year. Before that it was her main everyday headphone before she started nicking my stuff.

If you do have to get a new one, avoid eBay shops if you can help it. Plenty of fake Sennheisers there.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE2 from head-direct.com.. $49

correction... RE2's are now selling for $39!

Head-Direct.com | RE2

I think they would sound better than all the ones you listed & would be cheaper as well.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 29
NE-7M have great bass and are nice sounding IEM's all around with great reviews on Head-fi and around the internet. They also have a 30 day money back guarantee if your unhappy. For $49 from Amazon they really are nice and sound way better than the CX300 I own, better bass and way better mids and highs.

Oh and they are very nicely made IMO.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 29
Right so i now have the three I mentioned, with the addition of the re2s and the ne7m. So if just comparing the re2s an the ne7ms which are better for listening to all sorts of music from soul, rock or d&b (anything really!). It sounds like the re2s are more geared towards die hard rock fans because of their midrange emphasis.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 29
I listen to soft rock, classical, older hard rock, classic rock, new age, pretty much anything :). I have found the NE-7M sound good with the works. Although I still like my Bose IE's for ambient style New Age music because this music sounds great with bloated bass as it makes the music drone more. Also I like the Bose IE for sleeping better than all other phones I have because they have almost zero ear pressure and aside from the music I don't need or want much sound isolation.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 29
NE7M or RE2 would be great for you.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 29
right so it seems form what your saying I should dismiss the three I mentioned initially and it is between the RE2s and the ne7ms. Ive heard the NE7Ms have a unique spacious sound that make the music sound almost 3d. And something which I need to highlight is the thickness and durability of the cables/joints as I dont want to buy headphones like the senhiesers which I had for them only to break a few months later.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 29
Nuforce customer service is excellent. A pair of mine broke by accident and they sent me a new pair out the next day. I haven't gotten them yet because I can't get mail here on the weekends, but had it been sent earlier it would have only taken 2-3 days from California to NY.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 29
I think the NE-7M's compare well to more expensive IEMS. My highest phone has only been $150 but the 7's compare to them well.

I like the NE-7M's much better than the SE210's which cost $150 when I got them a long time ago. The NE-7M is more balanced with a better soundstage and better bass response.

I prefer my PFE's to my NE-7M's most of the time but it depends. I don't strictly use my PFE's even though they cost 2.5x what my 7's cost. The PFE's have superior soundstage, clarity, instrument separation but are more neutral and less warm by default. I like the black filters but they seem to cause me fatigue after not too long. I generally stick with the greys and just EQ the bass a bit.

I've never used the RE2's but I think I have read they have less bass and better clarity then the 7's.

I think it depends on what kind of music you like mostly as well as sound sig. I still use my NE-7M's about 40% of the time despite having the PFE's which cost $140 and compare well to the top end IEMS such as ER4P, SE530's, IE8's etc.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 29
editing lol im confused. Anyway I just read the head-fi reviews of both and it seems the ne7ms are better without an amp as the RE2 can be a bit harsh with the mid range. However, with an amp the re2s are meant to be more defined whilst the Ne7ms are smoother and are naturally more bassy. So at the moment im swinging towards the ne7ms.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 29
I mistakenly confused the RE2's with the PK series for some reason and edited my post to reflect that. I think the RE2's are more suited for classical type music but I have not heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back