Cheapish IEM with poor isolation?
Sep 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DrSpiv

New Head-Fier
Maybe sounds like an odd question, but basically looking for a set for the office. They will be driven by a FiiO E7 dac/amp. The problem is that I don't face the door, so people often sneak up on me; sometimes accidentally. It would be great if I could still hear background conversations when I have the volume set low (which is most of the time).

Right now I tend to just leave one side out and on low volume. This is confusing on certain stereo-separation-centric songs. Also they are kinda crappy (came with sansa clip) and I'd like to step it up even if just a touch.

Would like to spend maybe $50 or less. Anything with a neutral or slightly warm, but preferably not muddy or overly bassy sound would be great. Especially things that work well at low volumes, since that's probably 90% of the office listening time. Willing to spend more if I must, happy to spend less if I can.

Musical preferences: all of it. Jay-Z -> Chopin -> Black Keys -> Underworld. Probably hit folk music and blues rock the most.

Have any suggestions? I'm mostly a full-sized can guy, know almost nothing about IEMs.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 6
x2 to the earbud recommendation. If however you must get IEMs, the jvc air cushions are fairly cheap. And though the sound quality is nothing to write home about, they do offer very poor isolation.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 6
Thank you, I ended up getting the Sennheiser MX-580s. I was surprised to see such a low price item under "the good" in that review. I'll concur; they are pretty decent, especially for $24.

I also picked up some RE2s, which I'm completely disappointed with. They are nearly impossible to get positioned right, and sound muddy even when you do. I'll let them break in a bit longer just in case, but I think they're going to end up being gifted away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back