Cheapish (£50? £100 MAX) for the commute / throw in a bag
Feb 22, 2010 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Leo_Loves_Audio

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'm soon going to purchase some Denon D2000 to replace my Audio Technica AD700 for mainly game playing, but also some movies & music (the AT lack the kinda bass I like).

Anyway, I've got a set of beat up old Sennheiser HD212 Pro's that I used to commute with but just find them uncomfortable now (especially compared to the AD700s!)...

...So I'm looking for some cheap-ish phones for driving / train / tube / walking - circa £50 would be great, if I have to go £100 then I'll go £100....

I'm really just looking for the best phones I can get for that price that I can sling round my neck or throw into a carry-all bag and not worry too much...

- Bonus points if they look cool (either subtly cool / retro or in-your-face colourful etc)

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 11
I found the shure srh240 to be a good portable headphone. Its comfortable - on your head, and even around your neck, not that heavy. And they sounded fine even through my iPhone.

As for looks, they have a nice glossy finish. That's about it lol.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Like the price of the Senns, like the supposed audio quality of the AT's, undecided on the AT's being on-ear vs around-ear... My Senn HD212 Pro's are on-ear and the push against my ear which get's uncomfortable during extended listening - especially if I'm wearing glasses / sunglasses.

As for looks, the Senns are a classic black which is OK I guess ( I dig the rock and roll aesthetic as much as I dig other aesthetics such as old-school 60's studio-headphones or nu-rave / brightly coloured headphones).

Moar suggestionz plz Head-Fiers!!

Thanks to the 2 so far! xx

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 11
HD448. Exceptional sound for the money if you don't necessarily need insane bass. I use them all the time, both inside and out. They're lightweight, quite comfortable, not too big and have decent isolation.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 11
PX200-II, especially if you have hair(for looks). I think it looks pretty awesome when the headbands shape isnt so apparent because of hair, and it always looks nice from a profile. Built like a tank, fits in your pocket unless you wear pants significant on the tighter side of the tightness spectrum.

What kind of music do you listen to? Though you want the for portability, I actually find the PX200-II makes a great gaming headphone because of its impressive positioning and open feeling. They are neutral sounding, but the bass extends way low. There just isn't a hump on it, but you'll feel the rumble all the way down to 20khz. You do need to give them a bit of burn in for their best sound though, I found. I find them very comfortable, especially after a couple of weeks of use and they conform to your heads shape. I would wear them for 6+ hours and sleep with them, so no issues there for me, though I have heard someone express slightly less positive feelings about comfort.

Otherwise, my suggestion is the Creative Aurvana Live(clones of the D1001, same drivers and pads, similar housings), which is available for $55 at costco, but I don't know their shipping policies to europe. I just worry you might get bored with them as they should sound quite similar to your future D2000s.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 11
regarding the PX200's - I dig the look of those, but I'm not too sure about getting tiny headphones that sit on-ear.... So long as my phones of choice are built OK, I'll be happy - so I can either keep them round my neck or throw them in my bag without too much of a worry...

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 11
Any more suggestions folks? Prefferably circumaural / over-ear and....good-looking either in a retro way, a neat/sleek way, or colourful or or or something
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys / gals(?)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back