Cheapie DVD player recs?
Jul 24, 2001 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
Looking for a cheap DVD player (to finally complete my HT which has been missing the DVDp for half a year now)... looking at like, under $200 or something. Half a year ago I was looking at the Pioneer DV-333, which is about $200 and now am looking at the DV-343 (around $160). Any recommendations? Oh yeah, the unit must be able to play VCDs, mp3s/cdrws would be nice but not essential.

Jul 25, 2001 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 23
This is what I got I, it plays CD-r and CD-RW and VCDs and Super VCDs, it also has a killer audio DAC for CDs.

[size=small]Cambridge SoundWorks DVD-106E DVD/CD Player [/size]
c1dv106e_l_690d.jpg

[size=small]$179.99 [/size]

You can get it from here : http://www.hifi.com

Jul 25, 2001 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 23
We just did a *lot* of research trying to find a good, inexpensive DVD player for my better half's mom. Gosh, I must have read 50,000 reviews
wink.gif

Anyways, the one unit that was pretty much universally recommended was the Toshiba SD1600 (and the SD1200 which is almost exactly the same but from last year). It's got all the standard features, plus composite video out, DTS, Spatializer N-2-2 surround emulation for 2-channel systems, and picture zoom, parallel video out (it will play out of any of the four video-out systems at the same time). Some great features for the price of the unit, and it's gotten great reviews for picture and audio quality. I'm pretty sure it plays VCDs. I know it will play CDRs, but not MP3s.

List on it is around $230, but you can usually find it on sale for much less. In fact, I just got an email from 800.com (where we bought one) that it's on sale for $159 with no tax, which is a pretty phenomenal deal:

http://www.800.com/prod.asp?p=3799&

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy!

Jul 26, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 23
Hate to burst your bubble, but Amazon.com has it for $140
smily_headphones1.gif
(courtesy of pricescan.com)... And some higher models for not much more... Too bad the 1600 doesn't play VCDs... the 2700 does, however, and its only $145ish... and it can decode hdcd! I'd return your 1600 if I were you
wink.gif
Looks like this is the one I'm getting...

I've heard some bad thigns about the CSW DVD player, though it would match my CSW HT... so I guess I shouldn't go with that.

Jul 27, 2001 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Amazon.com has it for $140

In fact, I just found if you use one of the ubiquitous Amazon.com coupons, it's only $120
wink.gif

Were you talking about the Toshiba 2700? That's a nice one, too... I suggested the 1200/1600/1700 because it's the top "budget" player. But if you can afford more, go for it!

Jul 27, 2001 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 23
Don't know why I was so sluggish, but I guess this really belongs here.

Maybe it's because this is only my second use of my moderator powers -- once I actually deleted a double post.

Oh, the joys of being moderator of the "Other Technologies" forum.
cool.gif

Jul 27, 2001 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 23
I have the Toshiba SD2200 (basically the two-disc version of the SD1200) and it works quite nicely. However, if you did get that Pioneer player, you could get Dan Wright to mod it for being a killer transport for your MSB Link DAC.

Jul 27, 2001 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 23
I dunno, I mean, dvd playing is in the Video domain, so I thought it would belong in 'other technologies' where the e&a forum is mostly headphone/audio related...

Thats an intriguing option dhwilkin... too bad my headphone setup is in another room from my HT... and my HT does not deserve anything fancy like an MSB link dac...

Jul 28, 2001 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 23
The Pioneer DV-333 is a killer product, and there are mods available if you get bored with it. Philips also makes good and cheap models that you might want to take a look at. (702 comes to mind, its in your price range and you can change region codes with the remote!)

Just stay away from apex and you'll be fine.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2001 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 23
Oh BTW, here is a good site about vcds but they do have a nice search engine to find dvd players that can play the formats you are interested in.

http://www.vcdhelper.com/

Again, stay away from apex, pick a brand you heard of and you will be fine!

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2001 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 23
If you have component inputs on your TV and can swing an extra $50, you may look at the Panasonic RP61. It's a progressive-scan player (the little brother of the Panasonic RP91 - which is what all the people at avs forum talk about) and can be had for ~$250.

Added bonus: It also plays DVD-Audio discs

Here's a link for more info: Panasonic RP61

Jul 28, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 23
How much better a picture will you get if you use a progressive-scan DVD player on a non-HDTV as opposed to a HDTV? Or does it matter?

Jul 29, 2001 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 23
Hm I was wondering the same thing dhwilkin, especially on a TV that has problems (My lame TV is having some color distorting problems).

Also, component inputs are for sound right? Or is it video... or both... anyways whats the advantage?

Jul 29, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 23
Component is for video. It splits the video data into R-Y/B-Y/L data. L is luminance or light data, BTW. It's basically the most accurate way of transmitting video data currently. As such, there's no room for audio, which is carried over a separate cable.

Now, time to go look up stuff about progressive scan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back