Cheapest X-Cans Power supply
Nov 14, 2002 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi again.

I am in the UK and have been scouring the web in search of a 12V AC 20VA Power Supply (specifications of the X-PSU) with very little luck but have found something which will get all you Americans Whooping with Joy!!!

Exactly the same power specs as the musical fidelity X-PSU and at a fraction of the cost...... $8 to be precise! yep.. $8 !!

I I were in the USA I'd order one of these babys, take it to bits, build a box to house it in, buy a switch so it can be turned on and off and then connect the lead from the standard X-cans wallwart to its output and then I'd connect it to the X - cans......

If only I were in the USA
mad.gif

This seems to be a really great find considering it's the identical specification to the X-PSU. Oh, you want to go and have a look??? I nearly forgot
biggrin.gif

Here you go folks.. and I hope this sorts out your PS problems:

http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/O...plies_197.html

Scroll down and look for Model number: Model T1220

If this works then please let me know

Pinkie

Nov 15, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Wow, cheap!
But this really is just a replacement wallwart, right? It isn't meant to have the tricky conditioning/regulating properties of the x-psu (and perhaps that other very inexpensive power source mentioned in another thread--didn't it have a large toroid?). One would also need to diy connections to the screw terminals, though that is so easy even a klutz like me could do it.

Nov 15, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Wow, cheap!
But this really is just a replacement wallwart, right? It isn't meant to have the tricky conditioning/regulating properties of the x-psu (and perhaps that other very inexpensive power source mentioned in another thread--didn't it have a large toroid?). One would also need to diy connections to the screw terminals, though that is so easy even a klutz like me could do it.

Yep,

Certainly is a good price and I see it weighs nearly 1.5 pounds so it must be a pretty big adaptor.

I haven't got a clue about conditioning or regulating as nobody here seems to have posted a picture of the "innards" of the X-PSU.

It would be interesting to find out just exactly what does live inside the X-PSU case.

I wish somebody would get a hex key and slide the circuit out and take a pic then I could start going into production knocking copies out for £50 a go
wink.gif

Seriously though, I'm surprised that "nobody" knows what goes on inside an X-PSU? I've only had my X-Can for 5 days and already I've been under the bonnet and have got my parts list
biggrin.gif

If anyone here want's to lend me their X-PSU I will slide the board out and get a parts list and draw up a circuit diagram and then get on the first plane to Brazil and spend my remaining years avoiding interpol and the FBI
evil_smiley.gif

Pinkie

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Okay, I am a little lost are those actual power supplies that might work with the X-CAN or not. If they aren't, are there any less expensive alternatives to X-PSU option.

Nov 16, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Peter, I think this item is more of a replacement for the x-can wallwart. There is another thread about a cheap regulated power source that would be more of a replacement for the x-psu, though I don't think anyone claimed that it did quite as much for the x-cans as the x-psu. I suppose there is a continuum from the most marginal wallwarts up to the fanciest power supplies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back