Cheapest way to visit a number of distant cities?
Jul 16, 2007 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
I need to check out a few cities over the next few weeks (to determine in which state I want to apply for the bar and permanently move) and was hoping to minimize expenses by combinging everything into one big trip. Ideally I'd like to check out Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Austin.

Since my car is on the fritz, and because of the sheer distance of the places I want to visit from Ohio, I can't make a traditional road trip out of it. The best scenario that I can imagine would look like a flight into Seattle, followed by a rented car that didnt care where I took it, so I could drive through half the country and return with no expense then the gas and the cost to rent. Does anyone know of a rental place that would allow this or of some other cost effective method of achieving my goal? I only have a week to do it all and I'm strapped for cash.

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 16
San Francisco is the best, followed relatively closely by Seattle, with Austin and Phoenix far behind (I can't stand being dripping wet under the 110º sun; sorry). If you're strapped for cash, though, you'd have a tough time finding a place to live in -- or for that matter, anywhere near -- San Fran. Homes that are $300k in Ohio are easily in the millions in this area (since my family lives here I'll have to do my best to find a cheap shack inland somewhere once I'm out of college
tongue.gif
). You may want to consider Seattle for the best cost/goodness ratio and save yourself some money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I can't fault you for wanting to see the places in person. If this is what you want to do, I'd recommend flying into Seattle, checking it out, driving to San Fran, checking it out, and returning to Ohio. You won't like Phoenix and Austin, especially during this time of year.

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the reply nib. Im strapped for cash at the moment since I'm still in law school. Upon graduation I expect that to change (well, things will probably be tight for a few years after due to loans, etc).

What, specifically, do you have against Austin/Phoenix? Just the dry heat?

To consider your flying + driving recommendation, I need more regarding my initial question.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 16
I lived in San Antonio which is just south of Austin and the weather is fine about 5 months a year. The rest of the time it's a sauna. When it's 95 degrees and 90% humidity at 8:00 AM, that's too friggin hot.

I've been to Phoenix once and I spent 3 days there with a nosebleed because it was so dry AND hot.

I've been to Seattle once and the smog was a surprise, as was the sun. I thought they never had sun there. Of the 4 areas you mention I liked it the best.

I've been in and around SF a few times. Monterey Bay and Carmel are nice places but that whole area is insanely expensive. Like 6 people sharing a 2-bedroom apartment expensive.

If you had more time I would suggest traveling by rail, but it would be too slow if you only have a week. Ditto for a bus. Not sure if you can get a rental car with unlimited miles that doesn't have to be returned to the same place you got it from.

Get 4 guys together to split expenses and go on a road trip with someone driving around the clock? It won't be cheap no matter how you try to do it considering how far apart your target cities are.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 16
I've got some good deals from San Francisco to Cleveland and Columbus from lastsecond.com. You probably could in reverse. You may be able to arrange three point travel and car drop-off.

As a ex-Buckeye who moved to San Fran, mind if I ask what part of the state you're coming from?

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got some good deals from San Francisco to Cleveland and Columbus from lastsecond.com. You probably could in reverse. You may be able to arrange three point travel and car drop-off.

As a ex-Buckeye who moved to San Fran, mind if I ask what part of the state you're coming from?

Thanks for the link.

Hmm, I had forgotten about a train/bus. What can you guys tell me about this? Is there some sort of scenario where I could use the bus/train not merely as a transport, but also a "hotel" (ie, a transport that moved at night so I could just sleep in my seat)? I could probably manage two weeks if this made things cheaper. Classes start on Aug 20th so it all has to be done in the week or two before that date.

I've been in the Toledo area for around 7 years now, but I'm from Cleveland. I don't suspect I'll look back, and it doesnt sound like you have either.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 16
I've been to Phoenix as couple times in the last few months. Unless you really love the area, I think the heat will convince you to shop around. I've been there other times when it wasn't as hot and enjoyed it much more. I'm not down on Phoenix, just that the heat is a reality that you need to deal with.

You should include Portland in your list of stops. I didn't get to check out as much as I'd like, but thought it was a good place.

As for rental cars, I know Avis only charges a per day rate if you return it to the same location that you picked it up from. I suspect others have the same rules. Your best bet may be to check out Southwest or JetBlue and see what the cost is to fly. JetBlue is cheap if you book far enough in advance. (Cheaper than gas!)

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been to Phoenix as couple times in the last few months. Unless you really love the area, I think the heat will convince you to shop around. I've been there other times when it wasn't as hot and enjoyed it much more. I'm not down on Phoenix, just that the heat is a reality that you need to deal with.

You should include Portland in your list of stops. I didn't get to check out as much as I'd like, but thought it was a good place.

As for rental cars, I know Avis only charges a per day rate if you return it to the same location that you picked it up from. I suspect others have the same rules. Your best bet may be to check out Southwest or JetBlue and see what the cost is to fly. JetBlue is cheap if you book far enough in advance. (Cheaper than gas!)

Having suffered through horrendous, lengthy winters in the Ice Belt, I feel confident saying that scorching summers can't be as bad (it's the black ice that's the icing on the frozen cake). But I hear you... if I have the choice. That's why I want to check the places out firsthand.

I've already been to Portland and loved it. The job market isn't that great there, however. Or at least not as great as I need it to be given that I'll be moving somewhere with no connections from a school who's influence doesn't extend outside of Ohio/Mich.

Regarding Avis. Do you know if there's something in their contracts that stipulates that the car cannot leave the state in which it is rented? If not, I don't see why anyone would take their own personal vehicle for a roadtrip when they can put all the wear and tear on a rental (dont be gentle), nor how this wouldnt be abused. If it's just a flat rate and gas, I could just rent a fuel-efficient car with gps and take two different routes to see a few other cities as well, time permitting. I'll see what I can find with them, thanks.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 16
I travel almost every week and Avis makes a bundle off of me. I've never had a problem taking a car out of state. If I don't intend to return it to the same location, then I tell them. That prompts them to look at the car I have and decide if they need to swap it out. I've rented cars in New York, driven to New Hampshire and back. No problem.

I'm going to Virgina in the morning. I'll get a car and drive it to North Carolina a couple days later and drop it off at whatever airport I fly out of. Even with the car charges for mileage, it will still be cheaper than the $450+ it would cost to fly from Richmond to anywhere in NC! ($130 from New York to Richmond. Figure that one out.)

I have rented a car for personal vacations also, and for the reasons you stated. Put the wear and tear on a rental and leave your car at home. Sometimes it's worth it.

As for Phoenix, it was 118 on both of my last trips. That's cooking! (Love the place in the winter.)

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been in and around SF a few times. Monterey Bay and Carmel are nice places but that whole area is insanely expensive. Like 6 people sharing a 2-bedroom apartment expensive.

Even college students live better than that out here...

Real estate is sick, but odds are you'll be renting for the short term so I wouldn't worry too much about it. In terms of culture SF is pretty hard to beat of the cities you listed. I never liked Phoenix or Austin, not my type of place at all. It's not just the heat, but the culture. Austin is kinda hippie-meets-cowboy and Phoenix is hippie-meets-suburbia. Not much going on really... SF ranks among NYC, London, Chicago, Paris, etc. in terms of culture. It's world class.

I've never been to Seattle, and I hear it's pretty cool. I'd check that out as it's probably a little easier to deal with than SF if you're not into the vibe here.

--Illah

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I travel almost every week and Avis makes a bundle off of me. I've never had a problem taking a car out of state. If I don't intend to return it to the same location, then I tell them. That prompts them to look at the car I have and decide if they need to swap it out. I've rented cars in New York, driven to New Hampshire and back. No problem.

I'm going to Virgina in the morning. I'll get a car and drive it to North Carolina a couple days later and drop it off at whatever airport I fly out of. Even with the car charges for mileage, it will still be cheaper than the $450+ it would cost to fly from Richmond to anywhere in NC! ($130 from New York to Richmond. Figure that one out.)

I have rented a car for personal vacations also, and for the reasons you stated. Put the wear and tear on a rental and leave your car at home. Sometimes it's worth it.

As for Phoenix, it was 118 on both of my last trips. That's cooking! (Love the place in the winter.)

Are u talking about engine wear and tear?

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are u talking about engine wear and tear?

Not so much as engine as the entire car. If you get right down to it, you probably don't save money. However, if I know that we will be out for 3 or 4 days and put 1000+ miles on a car, then we talk about getting a rental. I rack up mileage just going to work (when I go to the office). Knowing I can keep another 1000 miles off of my car by getting a rental is comforting (for lack of a better term). It also allows us to get a car that fits the trip. I don't have an SUV, but I've rented them for vacations and loaded them up.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 16
Since those are major cities, you may have luck finding various low cost airlines to fly you between them, which will give you much more time to explore the cities and be well rested to do so. Look at Southwest, Jet Blue, AirTran, Frontier, etc. ................

BTW In terms of sheer culture, I would strongly agree that San Francisco is the best of the cities you have mentioned. I have decided that I want to die on San Francisco Bay looking out over the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz................

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 16
is it possible to to ambush a cargo train (assume u know its destination) and get a free ride these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back