Cheapest way to a line-out?
Jul 17, 2005 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've got a question, what's the cheapest way to get a portable line out? Since in the future I am considering getting a decent pair of headphones and an amp, I may need a line out to utilise the amp properly.

I currently have a panasonic MD recorder but to my knowledge it has a headphone out not a combo, but if anybody thinks it is good enough let me know. Basically I am looking for a cheap and portable unuit.

I was thinking of getting a used MD that atleast has netmd as I'm tired of 1x recording, but I've got to do a bit of research to find which MD's have a line out or not.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 16
Hmm, NetMDs with line-outs...

You can do a hack on the MZ-N510 to upgrade it and it allows you the "line-out" option, the first generation of Hi-MD units (NH900, NH1) have a line-out option but the new ones (RH910, RH10) don't.

You can search at www.audiotstation.com (formerly minidisct) and forums.minidisc.org for more info
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Hmm, NetMDs with line-outs...

You can do a hack on the MZ-N510 to upgrade it and it allows you the "line-out" option, the first generation of Hi-MD units (NH900, NH1) have a line-out option but the new ones (RH910, RH10) don't.

You can search at www.audiotstation.com (formerly minidisct) and forums.minidisc.org for more info
biggrin.gif

THANK YOU D-EJ915!!! I managed to unlock two thing on my MiniDisc sofar. The 3-Band Equalizer/Crappy Surround Settings, and also the line-out thing. Doesn't seem like anything else interests me so far though...

Jul 17, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 16
Cool, so I could use a netMD as my line out option? I already have an MD so would it be recommended for me to use the RH510 as a recorder and home player, and my panasonic as a portable player? How good is the line out quality relative to other players, ie. PCDP, mp3 players, etc?

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 16
That may well be a cheap way, but I don't possess the knowledge to do that kind of thing. May have to go for a cheap PCDP, any recommendations? How good are any flash based players at being a source for an amp, say a ipod shuffle or creative muvo tx?

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by renesis_au
That may well be a cheap way, but I don't possess the knowledge to do that kind of thing. May have to go for a cheap PCDP, any recommendations? How good are any flash based players at being a source for an amp, say a ipod shuffle or creative muvo tx?

There was a thread months back about a $1x.00 cd player purchased from a local convenience store that had a line-out. It also featured no skip protection, IE even less distortion to the source sound from the CD.

Flash players are okay with amp, but players with actual line-outs like the Rio Karma or Ipod will sound superior with amp. When going straight out of a headphone-out of a player, the sound gets processed through the player's own amp and then processed again through the actual external amp itself. Not the absolute cleanest amped sound, but it's fine.

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 16
The Karma has no line-out. There's the RCAs on the dock, but it's just the normal output locked to volume 29.

Jul 18, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
The Karma has no line-out. There's the RCAs on the dock, but it's just the normal output locked to volume 29.

i see. so it's just an RCA headphone-out with locked volume?

Jul 18, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 16
About the cheap PCDP with line out, will the actual quality of the output be up to scratch due to the "covertors" used even though it goes through a line out which bypasses the inbuilt amp? Or will it be equivalent to say a PCDP from Sony or Panasonic?

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

About the cheap PCDP with line out, will the actual quality of the output be up to scratch due to the "covertors" used even though it goes through a line out which bypasses the inbuilt amp? Or will it be equivalent to say a PCDP from Sony or Panasonic?

I questioned this myself, and quickly came to the conclusion that not all pcdps are created equal. The processing hardware inside still makes a difference in sound output line-out or headphone-out, or else everyone would be buying $15 imports at the local drug store.

--

At the moment, I'm struggling between purchasing a $60-70 Sony PCDP with line-out or a $100+ one which is supposed to be higher in sound quality. I'm probably going to dish out for the cheaper one, because I haven't even heard the sound out of a really expensive one before. Besides, I still gots no golden ears.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

So in your opinion would you recommend getting a cheaper PCDP like the Sony's you are talking about?

It's really hard to say. I think it depends on how critical of a listener you are, or how good your current gear is that you're used to.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly

Are you sure about this? I thought the Karma had true RCA line-outs on the dock and it was the iRiver H-Series' line out that wasn't true since it is volume adjustable?!?

confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back