Cheapest way to a 64GB + player, UMS, no iTunes required and decent battery life/SQ..?
Jan 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pott

100+ Head-Fier
Yeaah still looking at my options.

Only idea I have right now would be an iPod Video 80GB with Rockbox.

But they're almost 4 years old now, and the battery life may have taken a hit. May not be that expensive to replace though I'd guess...

Either way. I have 62GB of music and I want a player where I can put all of it on, and use the remainder space as a backup for my documents on my PC.

I want a decent SQ with my Klipsch S4s and to get rid of the need to use iTunes if possible.

Or I could get a more recent iPod, maybe with a Fiio E1 if I don't like the sound stock.

I'm used to the Sony A729 and Clip/Clip + which all sound very nice and warm with the S4s.

I also travel a bit so I like having a long battery life, say over 25 hours if possible. But I'll be ok with 'only' 20 hours as long as recharging it too often won't be too bad on the remaining battery life.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 14
sound like a machine I am hoping for but never seen any at all.
I hope yet doable spec
64GB+ build-in memory or with expansion slot
plug and play, drag and drop
decent sound with EQ
prefer 10x5x1 cm size
320x280 screen to display music info and interface
don't care for video player but support mp3, wma, ogg, aac, flac ape, tta and tak if possible.
don't have to be touch screen
No hiss is a must

sound like I am asking too much

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 14
Eh well... I guess the market is all towards flash units now.
I'm not interested in screen real estate or extension... just want a player where I can put all my music, some documents etc...

Mhmm I can get a 5.5 80GB for about 110 euros here in the Netherlands. Looks like it's the easiest way but they're old and battery life would probably be crap...

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 14
Agreed. Get a refurbished one off of US eBay and they'll already (or should) have a new battery in them.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 14
Another option would be a Mini. Get a clean 2nd Gen, do the Compact Flash Mod and run Rockbox. It may be your cheapest way, is upgradeable to 128GB (whenever they come out), and will pretty much last forever, especially with the huge amount of parts available. I've got a 16GB, someday I'll upgrade it, but I'll never get rid of it!

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 14
what format of music requires such gigantic amount of space? lossless flac?
confused01

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Zen X-Fi, iPod Classic and Archos........

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I want a decent SQ with my Klipsch S4s and to get rid of the need to use iTunes if possible.

I'd say get a 80gb/60gb iPod 5th gen and go rockbox. I believe you can drag & drop? Correct me if i'm wrong someone (might be ..
tongue.gif
)

But i've been thinking about this for a long time. My 8gb iPod Touch 2g just isn't cutting it anymore :\ I've got about 50gb of music (excl flacs) and well.. yeah
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 14
a 5th gen Ipod video can drag and drop after its been rockboxed,
but still will provide under 20 hours of playback at best,

other options would include a rockboxable toshiba gigabit model, a 32GB Cowon O2 + 32GB SDHC card, a 60GB Cowon A2/A3/Q5, Archos 5 or 7 tablets,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back