Cheapest soundcard with bit-perfect co-axial s/pdif?
Apr 29, 2006 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jvs

Head-Fier
What would be the cheapest PC soundcard with bit-perfect electrical(!) s/pdif through any application? I use iTunes and do not want to use applications like Foobar or Winamp, so no ASIO or Kernel Streaming solutions.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Market prices vary, so stating your location might be a good idea for a price related question...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 1, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Market prices vary, so stating your location might be a good idea for a price related question...

Netherlands, mainland Europe would be OK. Thanks.

May 20, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breepee
That would be the Hercules Fortissimo 4. Have one too and it's a very fine card.

Unfortunately it only has optical SPDIF, no coax. But thanks anyway.

May 21, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 11
May not be exactly the cheapest my close is the Juli@.

May 23, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 11
The Echo Audio MIA MIDI has a special emulated wave driver they call PureWave that most programs can use (not via DirectSound though, just waveout) to bypass the kernel mixer. It goes up to 24/96. Of course it supports ASIO and works with kernel streaming stuff as well. I'm not sure how much support there is for passing DTS & DD surround streams via software DVD players if that's what you're interested in though. But for music anything that can play via a normal wave device should be able to use purewave. I use it for windows media player and VLC player and such.

It seems like it's around £131.24 w/ VAT. Not sure how VAT works if you're in the EU but outside the UK.

May 27, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pingalep
what about this?
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This is based upon a Sonix SN11112F, for which it says here:
Quote:

Sonix SN11112 is an USB audio controller. It supports 32KHz (which needs driver or application software support), 44.1KHz or 48KHz sampling rate in digital recording; 48KHz sampling in analog recording; and 48KHz in digital/analog audio playback.

It would seem that everything would have to be resampled to 48 kHz for playback, i.e. the thing is not bit perfect. Another option coming to mind would be some CMedia card (those can at least grab a bit-perfect stream from the input if the ADC is muted), but these are notorious for high jitter levels and thus wouldn't be a good choice for digital output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back