Cheapest replacement GRADO ear pads?
Feb 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 11
The cheapest option is looking on Ebay for HD414 pads, although a lot of dealers sell them for £15, I managed to find a pair for £5.

Cheapest isn't best though, and despite their much-lauded status I think the HD414 pads suck some of the life out of Grados and present a watered down version of them. Stcok is watered down Comfie sound, quarter-mod is watered down flats sound and reverse quarter-mod is watered down bowls.

My theory is the much thinner, spongier foam leads to more sound leakage, hence less "oomph". Others disagree though and love them, so best to make your own mind up.

Official Grado pads are the best for me, and they seem to be the same price wherever you buy them (expect to be ripped off, sorry!).
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 11
Radio Shack has pads that sound great and are cheap. Thinner than stock comfies, so they sound a bit more muted than bowls, but a bit more lively than comfies.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senn 414's are the cheapest option, but the TTVJ flats are worth it IMO.

+1 TTVJ Flats are worth every penny.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 11
The cheapest replacement cushions are the ones you make using less than $4 worth of cushion material from a fabric store. I make better cushions than any I ever bought, although my cushions look like a train wreck.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 11
HD414 pads quarter-modded, probably. Grado charges crazy money for foam.

Of course, depending on which headphones you have, you could use this as an excuse to buy a different set of earpads to try out. Especially if you've been using comfies and want to try bowls or flats. Live a little...five bucks this way or that isn't that much, if you've got the budget to hang around these forums. :wink:

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Hanging around these forums has the effect of dramatically reducing ones budget for everything except audio equipment
smily_headphones1.gif
The amount I've spent since I got an account here is obscene, but has converted with a great exchange rate into satisfaction and happiness.

On that note - get all the Grado pads! The great thing about Grados is the pad rolling, different pads for different moods, and they all sound great in their own way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back