Cheapest place for Rio Carbon??
Jul 13, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tranzformer

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new and found this site a few days ago. I really like it. Hopefully you guys dont get tired of these type of threads. Been looking a few weeks at mp3 players and doing research. I really want a small hard drive based player and have narrowed it down. I really want something with a removable bettery (but not that big of a deal), long batter life, 5-6gb of space, small/sleak, good sound, built in microphone (to record class lectures) and something around $200. I am not interested in the Ipod as it is overpriced for me and many features that come with other players are extra add ons with the Ipod. So I have come across the:

Rio Caron: http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/sho...del=267&cat=72

Really nice, small and sleak player and love what you get for your money. Get extra long battery life (20hrs per charge), built in microphone, easy to use and did I mention its really small? The con's are that the battery is built in.

Creative Zen Micro:

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=10795

Another nice player but gets lower ratings than the Rio. The battery is removeable, has AM/FM radio (dont know how much I would use that but still nice to have), built in microphone, but it is a little bigger than the Rio and I have heard the touch pad is annoying. Any opinions?

Now I am really leaning towards the Rio and the cheapest I seem to find it for is about $150ish online. Has anyone seen it for cheaper. I remember reading that some people got it for the low $100's with a bunch of discounts. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3dLJqeG...rch=Rio+Carbon

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 6
I had many problems with my carbon(s) all in all, i had 3 within the course of a week and all had serious issues. Firstone would surge my laptop and my computer when connected, effectivly locking both the computer and the player up. The computer would lock up so bad, that the fans would stay on after teh whole thing has shut down, the powersupply would continue to idle and get hotter and hotter. I figured it might be the computer, but i tested it one 2 different computers. It went back, second carbon i had had the static issue (rather serverly as well), and i refuse to paint my headphone jack or the player that i had just spent $ on, back it went. 3rd and final one had such a huge alignment issue on it between the front and back case it would allow dust/water/air in in a heartbeat. it looked like it was assembled by a drunk, we are talking like a 1/8" gap or so. Back it went. No more carbon for me.

and to boot i had 2 karmas die by way of hdd destruction as well. No more rio for me.

I day try out the micro, if you like it, get it. i personally dont like the looks/battery life or the gui, but it at least feels better made.

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Boy you are Rio are not a match made in heaven. I have been very happy with my Rio players. I have never had an issue with them.

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 6
I have the rio carbon pearl - its like the newer carbon.

I have only had to reset once in the almost month I've had it and that was yesterday when I installed the new firmware! It's never locked up or frozen otherwise.

Battery life is excellent and the sound is great too (not that I have much to compare it to).

However, I cannot help with pricing. You can try www.riovolution.com - they have a thread dedicated to finding good carbon deals.

click here for that thread

good luck!

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 6
honestly im not sure why i had such bad luck with them.. mabey canada (or futureshops/canada best buy) get seconds or less QC. I wish the carbon worked for me, it was so bloody tiny
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back