Cheapest phone with wolfson DAC?
Jun 12, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 14
It seems like the Samsung Galaxy S second hand with the Voodoo firmware hack applied would be a candidate.  the S II uses a Yamaha and doesn't sound as good.  Without the hack apparently the S sounds very weak.

Sony Ericssons could have good sound quality too.

The issue in mobile phones is they're all battery and slim factor optimised, so you're not exactly getting high performance voltage thirsty components, however if you find good base sound quality, like perhaps in a Sony Walkman phone, you can connect it to a high performance portable amplifier, do not get the Fiio E6.

Just my advice.

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
The issue in mobile phones is they're all battery and slim factor optimised, so you're not exactly getting high performance voltage thirsty components, however if you find good base sound quality, like perhaps in a Sony Walkman phone, you can connect it to a high performance portable amplifier, do not get the Fiio E6.

So, if i'm just searching for sound quality i better consider buying a very cheap phone and spend some money on a good player?
i'm actually using my eph-100 with nokia 5800 that is starting to have battery issues so i was wondering what to go for 
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S: i'm asking for phone because i usually go everywhere with iem with their case in front left pocket, phone front right pocket and wallet in the back one so i don't have anymore space 
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
As titled; i found lots of posts and threads on the Dac itself but anything on which is most affordable phone with it! thanks!

I'm too lazy, but you go to the Google Play page for Voodoo Control Plus, you can see the phones it supports.  Then you can hop on ebay or Google shopping, or whatever.
I wouldn't try to skimp too far, though.  A few extra bucks will get you a nice device.  A good budget option in any of Galaxy S phones such as Galaxy S, Captivate, and Fascinate.  Another consideration is whether you want to activate service on it at some point (so you would need to find a compatible phone for your desired carrier.)
You could also pick up the Droid Charge, probably for under $200, that has one of the the top screens in the smartphone realm.  That is what I have.  The Droid Charge isn't as sleek and pocketable as the Galaxy S.
I think the only phone with ICS support and the Wolfson DAC is the Nexus S.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 14

So, if i'm just searching for sound quality i better consider buying a very cheap phone and spend some money on a good player?

Yup, I'd advise you to get a very cheap phone and spend the rest on the player, like Colorfly CK4 or Sony Z1050 etc!  They will have better sound quality than any smartphone.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 14
I nabbed the Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S) just now for $80 shipped, on eBay. Albeit used, it has the Wolfson WM8994 (or it should), and is in nice condition! I had been looking for one with a Bad ESN, since that basically kills the phone portion, because I have no intention of registering it as a phone, but since this one is perfectly fine. It just means it'll hold whatever slight resale value it has lol Plus, it's Verizon and that's even what I have, so I can always register it later! :D I did want to get the Stratosphere model in this series for it's slide-out keyboard, but they were fetching a bit more. All in all I think I'll probably be happy!

Wonder if the Galaxy S Player firmware works on these... Anyone know? Or a cooked ROM that is lacking phone features? heh

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I nabbed the Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S) just now for $80 shipped, on eBay. Albeit used, it has the Wolfson WM8994 (or it should), and is in nice condition! I had been looking for one with a Bad ESN, since that basically kills the phone portion, because I have no intention of registering it as a phone, but since this one is perfectly fine. It just means it'll hold whatever slight resale value it has lol Plus, it's Verizon and that's even what I have, so I can always register it later!
biggrin.gif
I did want to get the Stratosphere model in this series for it's slide-out keyboard, but they were fetching a bit more. All in all I think I'll probably be happy!
Wonder if the Galaxy S Player firmware works on these... Anyone know? Or a cooked ROM that is lacking phone features? heh

If you don't want the phone features, I suggest enabling airplane mode.  If you enable airplane, you can still use GPS, BT, and WiFi.  Just check that on boot that the airplane mode is still on.  There is a ton of development for the Galaxy S, but I don't think ICS ROMs work with Voodoo.  In any case, there are some very lean AOSP ROMs and kernels that work great with Voodoo.  Just hop on the development forums and be prepared to be blown away by all the stuff for this phone.  This phone is also easy to mod, Odin rules.  If you are a sound nut, get Neutron player.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 14
If you don't want the phone features, I suggest enabling airplane mode.  If you enable airplane, you can still use GPS, BT, and WiFi.  Just check that on boot that the airplane mode is still on.  There is a ton of development for the Galaxy S, but I don't think ICS ROMs work with Voodoo.  In any case, there are some very lean AOSP ROMs and kernels that work great with Voodoo.  Just hop on the development forums and be prepared to be blown away by all the stuff for this phone.  This phone is also easy to mod, Odin rules.  If you are a sound nut, get Neutron player.

Whoa, thanks man! I was sorta questioning how good an idea it was to do what I had, but that sure makes me feel better about the purchase :xf_eek: I'm not sure how close the Google Nexus S is in hardware, but they both use the same Exynos 3 Single Core processor and the Nexus S is upgradeable to ICS 4.0.4, which I hope an official update is available. I'm sure there are at least unofficial ones available for this. heh

I only saw Voodoo mentioned one time before, and it was actually like 2 days ago while on eBay. I'll have to look into that and figure out what it is, but I suspect a Kernel?

I definitely have some reading ahead of me, that's for sure :D

Again, much thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back