cheapest IEM with custom molds available?
Nov 27, 2009 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jerb

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive had my pair of shure E2C's for years now (iirc I bought them 3 or 4 years ago) and they've finally died, the cord that goes over the ear has split and sound is intermittent. Id like to replace them this xmas.

I really want custom molds for my ears, unfortunately most custom IEMs are way to expensive for me. if I remember correctly you could get custom molds made for some of the shure iems at most audiologists (I see them at motorcycle shows pretty often too).

are custom molds available for the UE 5 series? are there other options for <$200 (thats just the cost of the IEMS, I know the molds are going to run another $100 or so)

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 6
You should be able to get the UE super.fi 5 series molded into customs from companies like Fisher Hearing or Unique Melody. Really, most anything that is balanced armature should be remoldable.

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 6
Re: customs being too expensive for you.
The livewire duals are $249, livewire trips $349. I can't vouch for these since I've not heard them but there are some reviews including a great trips review..have a search
smily_headphones1.gif
(I would link ya but I'm on my phone atm)

Jh audio 5's are $400, which may be $100 or so more than you are willing to spend but save a little bit, I listened to the demo unit yesterday and its a wonderful little thing. I found it slightly less 'all that' than the SE530 with custom tips but that was a universal demo unit bear in mind..only slightly less, and were I using standard tips with the SE530 the jh5's wouldwould be better

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 6
hey, erm, well i don't think there are any customs below $200, at least customs that have multiple drivers. but the cheapest ones around are definitely livewires. for dual drivers, they cost just 249. which, if u ask me, is a real bargain. the sound is comparable to UEs and Westones too, i've tried listening to them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back