Cheapest exterbal soundcard I can get, strictly for using the coax spdif out?
Jul 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wardww

New Head-Fier
I'm using a cheap but very sweet coaxial

Finished 2496 (AK4396) CS8416 DAC

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Finished-2496-AK4396-CS8416-DAC-With-Transformer-case-/110767440205?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

connected to a high quality Asus mobo, and now I want to use it with a laptop that does not have SPDIF out.

I'm looking for a cheap usb soundcard or solution with coax spdif out that supports at least a 96k sampling rate.

Any ideas anyone. Much appreciated.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks trog but I need coax out, not optical. My AK4396 DAC only supports coax in. I'm not actually looking for a DAC and I have a decent unit already, just something to let me play all my flac library out of a laptop, through my DAc and into my Marantz amp. Cheers

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 9
Why don't you just get a converter, a unit that converts USB to S/Pdif output?
You can find them all over the net.

I wouldn't buy a cheap external "soundcard" to send S/Pdif to an external DAC.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi Schonen, no, old laptop, no HDMI. Fact is that this old but sweet Acer Aspite 5520 is perfect for this use, no need for anything fancy to run foobar. I converted all my CD collection to flac many years ago and all my vinyl is 24/96 or higher, and it is all on a big fat external HD, so all this old laptop has to do is spit it out in 1s and 0s to my DAC. Thanks anyway. I have found some decently priced USB to coax SPDIF converters so I think I will go that route. Thanks anyway. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back