Aug 7, 2005 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

H5N1

Head-Fier
I am getting a DAC (again
tongue.gif
). probably a DAC64
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
. Looking for a quality digital output from laptop. Don't wanna spend too much on this (already spent too much these few months affter hanging out with y'all)...

Thanks

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 9
Back when I researched this several years ago, the answer turned out to be the M-Audio Sonica. Don't know if this is still the case.

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 9
That could be the case, though the Transit offers a 'TOSlink optical digital output'. It confuses me that it's labelled as an 'optical' digital output...does that mean you need a DAC or not? My understanding was that optical = analogue.

Anyway the Sonica offers an 'S/PDIF Optical Out (which) can transmit Linear PCM, AC-3, or DTS' so it appears to be better suited.

Check the Transit's and Sonica's specs out here and here respectively.

Aug 8, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
TOSlink optical is digital, meaning you need a DAC to convert from digital to analog.

You don't seem to know much about anything you advice about here, do you?

First of all, I was asking to clarify if what I thought was right. I owned an M-Audio Transit and I know it can be connected to an external DAC via the digital out. It's completely unnecessary for you to acuse me of "not knowing about what I advice" when I wasn't advising in the first place...

Jeez...you come here for help yourself, only to be bad mouthed by someone who thinks they knows better.

Aug 10, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Audiotrak's OptoPlay is really cute for the price. Check my "mini-review" here Not as portable as TB because of a hardwired usb cable, but could be an advantage in some situations. AFAIK, no resampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back