Cheapest DACs with high output voltage?
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
What are the cheapest dedicated DACs you know of that output 2 volts or higher?

Ideally, I'd like it to have USB & S/PDIF optical inputs, RCA outputs, downloadable drivers, and ship from the USA. But the only requirement is that it outputs 2 volts or higher into an external amp.

This one is $85 and outputs 4.88 volts RMS, but it doesn't seem to be available. This one is just $30, but doesn't have the features I want and ships from China.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Jul 1, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 5
The SMSL Sanskrit fits that bill.

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, I've heard some bad things about this company, and it seems their products may have reliability issues.

I trust JDS Labs more. But not sure if I should wait it out in case I find something cheaper that can do the job.

(The reason I want higher output voltage is because the DAC I downgraded to barely outputs over 1 volt and I get distortion with an electrostatic amp.)

Edit: Just bought the JDS Labs OL DAC and an optical cable. Too bad it doesn't have downloadable drivers. With my dedicated music server OS, I can't get plug and play DACs to work; only ones with drivers I can manually install. (But they work fine in my normal Windows.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back