Cheapest DAC?
Oct 13, 2008 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

octelcogopod

New Head-Fier
I need a really cheap, basic, and portable DAC for my laptop. Since my laptop (Macbook) has an optical out, I'd like the DAC to use this so that I can avoid extra adapters.

Requirements:
-Optical input
-Cheap ($100 or less)
-Small/portable
-Barebones

The Piccolo is discontinued, and the Mini1541 (my first choice) doesn't seem to be available either.

A nice feature would be to have a built-in headphone amp, but I can either add a cmoy myself or just live with it. Kits are fine too (preferred, if cheaper), even with surface mount components.

edit: No USB-only DACs please -- I need all (2!) my USB ports available and I don't want to bring a hub

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 16
Well I've seen $9 cards, but since you have an optical jack (and a restricted budget) cruise eBay for vintage gear.

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 16
Perhaps you find one here?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/al...pt-2-a-325941/

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 16
If its really portable, I'm guessing you need it to run off a battery, or be powered by the notebook. Trouble is, if you're not using USB, it really can't be powered by your notebook. So that leaves battery powered, and the only portable DACs that run off battery that i can think of are DAC/amp combos, such as ibasso D1 products. I think your best shot is getting a used D1 that may be close to 100, not sure what they run for any more.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 16
have a look at the Bantam DAC that you could use as a standalone DAC or couple with a cMoy in the same casing. The Bantam DAC can be built for around $30 but you need to already have DiY skills. It is said to be equal to the Alien DAC

EDIT: forgot to mention that the Bantam DAC is USB powered and don't have optical in.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 16
The ibasso d1 looks great, but they are 200+ on eBay
frown.gif

I emailed about the mini1543 kit and apparently they are still for sale! I will go with that route and integrate a cmoy into it.

I just noticed my mistake: Mini1541
Spending too much time messing around with my C64!!

The Bantam looks good as well. I might get one of those in the future if the mini1543 turns out to be too unwieldy.

krmathis -- I saw that thread, but there were too many options! I was wondering which DAC you guys would endorse the most
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again for all your replies!

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 16
You might want to check out the M-audio Transit. it is:

Portable (fits in your shirt pocket)
Its $79 from Sweetwater http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Transit/
Optical and USB inputs
Optical outputs
Headphone amp built in
Sounds great

The Transit seems to hit all of your requirements.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by octelcogopod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a really cheap, basic, and portable DAC for my laptop. Since my laptop (Macbook) has an optical out, I'd like the DAC to use this so that I can avoid extra adapters.

The MAC already has a DAC onboard so why would you want something cheap that is unlikely to be better than the MAC?

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 16
There are a lot less options if you're looking for portable dac's with optical input.

Reason being that you need some kind of power source to power the DAC, and the power source is usually via USB, or via wall.

If you don't mind taking up a USB port, something like the Bantam DAC performs really great. Sourcing different parts like the usb cable, rca plugs, quality wire, etc, tools cost, and experience needed to solder on those pcm2702's make this an expensive project if you haven't done DIY projects before, but I'm sure you can find someone to build one for you for a good price.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 16
if u dont mind the usb, the Go-Vibe works decently, even if u use it to drive your headphones directly!

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MAC already has a DAC onboard so why would you want something cheap that is unlikely to be better than the MAC?

The Macbook/Macbook Pro analog audio output is TERRIBLE. It picks up every bit of stray noise from the system and makes headphone use basically unusable.
Here is some information regarding this problem.

I built the Mini TDA1543 DAC. It's great!

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 16
The y1 gamma-1 diy dac from MisterX and amb has coax, optical, and usb input, but it is not yet available (it is in the prototyping stage). It runs from a 5v ac-dc converter, or usb power. It's not a beginners project because of all the surface mount ICs (well over 100 pins combined), but other than the ICs, it is all through-hole. It will be an extremely vesatile dac.

EDIT: This is not the cheapest dac, but can be built for <$100.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back