Cheapest balanced source?
Jan 22, 2010 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nkk

500+ Head-Fier
Yes, you read that correctly, I am going balanced, and cheaping out. :p Ok, not really. I actually am going balanced with an M3 that i am building this summer. However, I do not have a balanced source. My real question is whether there are any good ones in the EMU0404 USB price region ($220 give or take). So..are there? Ideally, it would also do A to D so that I can use it to make my vinyl into digital files, but I have a cheaper Behringer ADC that can be used if I need to.

I have to say, the EMU is great at this price, so I am thinking there will not be one, but if there is I would strongly consider it. I have researched, but found ones starting at about $300 to $400, starting with the LD one.

Thanks,
Nkk

EDIT: I know this sounds so much like a "I spent money for an HD650, but now want to spend $25 to amp it" thread. I promise that I know there are sacrifices being made with my price restriction. My thing is that I want balanced, am building an M3 (and that fits perfectly into a balanced M3), and will upgrade the source at a later date (probably early next school year). I will also be buying a pair of K701 to balance.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 24
How about the Opus? It is balanced straight out of the box, and with a moderate amount of DIY (assembling the PSU, MUX board for SPDIF input (or even go with a full y1 / gamma-1 for the inputs (coaxial, USB, TOSLINK), and the TOSLINK module) (minus enclosures, jacks, shipping) can be had for maybe $200 to $300. This is assuming you're adept at DIY, otherwise it will cost more for the labor...

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 24
Most of the studio recording audio cards will have balanced out. M-Audio, Echo, Presonus, Apogee, Mbox, Native Instruments, etc. I had an M-Audio Firewire Solo for a while that I really liked, but the drivers were temperamental.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 24
DacMagic isn't too expensive and it's good and balanced.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 24
Matrix, DacMagic, or even PS 3 (used)

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 24
little dot dac_I

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 24
I have asked a friend of mine to design a phase splitter box, so I can plug in my Ipod to feed a balanced amp.. It should be very cheap when done.

Still designing the PCB at the moment.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 24
I am going to get the DAC_I some day I reckon, seems to be a wonderful DAC for the price. OP may want to stretch his budget a little

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have asked a friend of mine to design a phase splitter box, so I can plug in my Ipod to feed a balanced amp.. It should be very cheap when done.

Still designing the PCB at the moment.

I'm under the impression that many balanced amp (such as Phoenix and Headroom's Ultra Desktop) have internal phase splitter.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm under the impression that many balanced amp (such as Phoenix and Headroom's Ultra Desktop) have internal phase splitter.

Yes, they do. The RSA protector should have it too. That's why I figure it shouldn't be too difficult to build one for amps that doesn't come with one, such as the B22. Although if you really want to go high end, an Ipod with a phase splitter is not really the answer for a balanced source.
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 24
I'd advise that you buy into some "decent" dac that is worth the money and easy to sell off if you are not happy with.

Some of the vendors mentioned here may not fall into that category, while some do.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 24
If you are happy keeping your source you may want to look into balancing transformers. Good ones can be costly. A LUNDAHL LL2616 costs 120 Euro, and it will provide galvanic isolation, which op amps do not. I have never tried it my self so I can comment on the effect (if any) on the sound, but it would most likely depend on the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back