Cheapest amp to power HD650's
Jan 20, 2007 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SOUNDinterpreter

100+ Head-Fier
hi all. i was wondering if you guys could recommend me a cheap decent amp to compliment my hd650's. i plan on using this with my ipod, samsung mp3 player, and my laptop. thanks.

SOUNDinterpreter

edit: apologies for posting this in the headphones forum.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 9
This is probably better in the amp forum.
wink.gif

Sufficiently powered Senns is a line many of us draw at different points, but the cheapest I've found for the HD650 is the C&C Box Portable. Here's a comment I made in a review on another site...

Quote:

Special Notes

A) For specifically iPod and Sennheiser HD580/600/650 users, I want to mention that the Senn high impedance along with pairing a laid back source with a laid back phone can sometimes be disappointing. Synergy is key and the "how high do I have to go to do justice" question is a legitimate one that should be asked whenever matching gear. While any setup with those Senns can sometimes seem a never-ending upgrade path, and there's a great deal of equipment I've never heard, the C&C Box is the most inexpensive amp I've ever heard that brings the iPod/upper Senns combo alive. Out of the phones used on this review, the HD650s (as they should) most excelled with this amp.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Eddie Current Lunch Box

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 9
BTW, do you need this to be portable (since several of your sources are portables)? I can also second the Lunchbox. I own both it and the C&C Box, though the C&C is available for less right now (since you asked cheapest). Both great amps.

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 9
sorry to intrude, but i'm having the same kinda question on my mind.

How would Xin's SuperMini IV (w/ ST WVchip) sound with the HD 600/650?

etyfan (maybe future Senn fan)

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 9
I was going to ask this as well, the HD650 is probably going to be my next headphone and was wondering if my Little-Dot II++ was enough to drive it properly.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 9
does portability affect sound much? since the C&C box seems to be a portable amp and the Eddie Current Lunchbox is not would it be best to just purchase the Eddie Current Lunchbox for maybe a slightly better sound?

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 9
There some very good portable amps that have come out in the last couple years. I wouldn't say the Lunchbox is superior to the C&C. They're both good amps and one is tubes and one solid state and represent each. The C&C is amazing clarity and detail. The Lunchbox has a very nice midrange and organic. If I only had one it would be the C&C because it's more versatile (location and impedance) but if you're interested in tubes and only using the HD6x0 (I've found the noise floor too high for other phones), consider the Lunchbox also. Both are better than their price indicates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back