Cheaper variant to Sennheiser HD 25-1 II ?
May 7, 2010 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pepac

New Head-Fier
Hello there!

A friend of mine bought Sennheiser HD 25-1II recently, based on an advice he was given here. And as I want to buy some headphones too, I would like to also ask. HD 25-1 II seemed exactly what I want

- in terms of size. I want something a bit bigger than 'normal' on-ear headphones (lets say from Porta Pro category). But as I travel quite a lot, I dont want something really big, rather more portable...

- in terms of not hearing most of noise from outside.

I am looking for something cheaper, as I want only quality sound when listening my portable player or a music from computer, it does not have to be 100% sound. I am listening generally to a variety of genres...
I would be grateful for any suggestions, maybe If someone has also a tip where to buy (I saw HD 25-1 II here for $140 few days ago, but as I am from the Czech republic, shipping fees get quite high /-: )

Thanks a lot

Pepac

May 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 9
I read the same point about HD25 SPii, that thay are not as indestructable, but I am not sure how serious it is. And that they do not hold on a head as good (which one could expect because of its different bridge construction d-: ). But otherwise, it seems to me fine as far as what I have read... Maybe some other tips? Thx

May 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 9
i got the hd25sp and cant agree about sturdiness - they are simple and sturdy as a hammer. only design flaw is that you can turn cups around - it can twist the cable.

May 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 9
If you want that sound, the SP is the way to go.  They are just as sturdy as the -1 (probably more so, no headband padding to break down) and have very, very similar drivers (if not the same, but others would likely argue with me on that)

Could also look at the K81DJ from AKG....

May 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I agree. I can't see how the 25SP's aren't as sturdy as the HD25-1's. Apart from the headband (and the drivers) there's no difference. 

May 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 9
Spend the money - you get what you pay for.

May 8, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 9
AKG518dj is small, well built, has a folding mechanism that makes it a swell portable with sound leaning towards a bassier presentation of music that doesn't completely overwhelm vocals.  Isolates rather well.  If you get the LE version, you get a shorter cable and colors other than black.  The regular DJ version has a very long 2.5 meter cable.

(the 518dj is the newer version of the 81dj)
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/162552/official-k-81-dj-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back