Cheaper Phones To Run With
Nov 16, 2006 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sagrr

Head-Fier
Hi. I am a proud owner of the Grado SR-60, but I am looking to purchase a new set of headphones to use when I am running outside.

1) open; Since I will be running outside, I should be alble to hear honks, etc.
2) Sweat resistant
3) $100 budget

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 17
I don't get a "sonic shock" when going from my MS-1s to my KSC75s, so the sound difference isn't all that great. I have no idea how they would put up with any real abuse however. They are of an open design, and for the price, they're almost in the "disposable" range if they get damaged!

.....they sound great though, so I'd take good care of them!

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 17
3 sets of KSC75's, use em one after the other one gets too sweaty or breaks under stress or watever. Still totally worth the 50 bucks
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 17
ah.. i forgot to mention that clip style headphones generally don't fit my ear well, although I've only tried on a few, cheap crappy ones. Also, earbuds dont work with my ears.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sagrr
ah.. i forgot to mention that clip style headphones generally don't fit my ear well, although I've only tried on a few, cheap crappy ones. Also, earbuds dont work with my ears.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Hmmmmm, might consider the Senn PX100. ~ $39.00, Very lite weight and maybe the most comfortable set of portable cans I own. Much darker sound than the Grados. Although some say the newer ones have a different sound signature.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 17
Ive been using my k81 dj's for running and theyve been working out just fine for that.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing
3 sets of KSC75's, use em one after the other one gets too sweaty or breaks under stress or watever. Still totally worth the 50 bucks
biggrin.gif

or just get 1 and then send it back to Koss for 6 bucks as much as needed, saves a bit of money.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 17
Hey, sagrr, noob here, and I favor the Sennheiser PX100's for running. They're a punchy, scrappy pair of cans with decent enough presentation along the rest of the spectrum. Just be sure to buy them online; at the brick'n'mortars, you'd pay near as much as the SR60's, and there's no need to do that.

I'm not a big fan of the Shure E2C's, but if you're looking for something in the same price range that isn't quite as isolating, there's always the Sony MDR EX90LP's (even if recommending 'em makes me a bit of a heretic in these here parts); they're somewhat punchy (whereas I find the E2C's ho-hum), if a bit brash, and they're vented so you can hear that big Peterbilt bearing down on you in time to hustle outta the way.

Nov 16, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 17
KSC 55's or Senn PMX 100. I don't like the over the head setup, but if you do, the Senn PX 100's are a good choice. I'm currently working on this myself--I'm looking for something for the gym. I've used my UE10's there in the past, but as time goes on, I get more and more leery of using them in the gym. I'll probably stick to using them in non-strenuos situations. I'm also getting to the point where I prefer the sound to the open phones when working out anyway--the UE's are great for relaxed listening, when you have nothing else going on around you and you're concentrating on the music, but the open phones give a different, more visceral though less accurate presentation, which is kind of good for the gym.

The Koss 75's don't work for me either--they just don't clip on well. I've been toying with the idea of getting a sportapro headband, and clipping them into this. The KSC 55's sound fantastic, but they're uncomfortable. Think of it as a spike slowly but persistently grinding into your temple...

I have the PMX 100's (which should sound like the PX 100's, which I've listened to before) on the way. I actually slightly prefer the Senn PX 100 sound (the new PX 100's, that is which are supposedly brighter than the older ones--I've only heard the newer ones, so I don't have anything to compare to) to the KSC's (although for the money, the KSC's are unbelievably good. It's amazing that Koss can make something as good--and cheap--as the 55's on one hand, then come out with something as awful as the plug. It's a plug alright; it just should be used to plug something than your ears). That's going to be blasphemy to some, but they're my ears...
biggrin.gif

I'm hoping the PMX's will be more comfortable than the KSC 55's--from what I've read, they're better than the Koss 55's from a comfort standpoint, but we'll see. If not, I'll buy a pair of sportapro's and swap drivers with the 75's, but I'm a bit leery of the sportapro neckband longterm. Maybe I'll email Koss and see if I can just get a sportapro neckband; wonder if anyone else has tried this.

I'm turned off by the iGrado's--although I haven't heard them, the reviews have been less than stellar. I have the SR 60's (which I love), and it would be heartbreaking if the iGrado's were significantly different from the 60's in SQ, and apparently they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back